The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Miazga is on something like $1.5 million salary in Cincinnati. And he had a better MLS career before he left but their European experiences aren’t that different. I don’t think EPB would get that $1.5 million from an MLS team, but I do think he’d get a fairly decent salary.

mschofield repped this.
  2. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Seeing as SKC holds his MLS rights, I'd think it would be around or into the TAM range (around of above the so-called max) but not a ton above that. His problem right now would be if he's on $200k, he isn't in a strong negotiating position. He can't say, you have to match my value, when he's just signed a contract that says his value is substantially less. that said, I would root for him to get as much as he could. SKC paid $1m a year for an almost always injured former La Liga CB (until they fixed him, which was impressive. Dead slow, though).

gomichigan24 repped this.
  3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that they sold him I don’t think Sporting Kansas City still holds his MLS rights. Once you transfer a player in MLS you no longer hold his rights I believe (the same way Red Bull didn’t maintain the rights for Miazga). I believe he’d still be subject to the discovery process though, if any team has him on their list.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't sell EPB, he left on a free transfer after his contract expired. SKC made a "bona fide" offer for him so they retained his MLS rights.

5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Maybe not but, as @mschofield pointed out, Greek teams don't pay very well. Even with the teams that do (Olympiacos & AEK), "pay very well" is more like upper-Championship wages for key players and lower-Championship wages for the others.

A look at the Panathinaikos squad sees a lot of foreigners like EPB, youth prospects at big clubs who didn't kick on and have spent their careers as rotators at Top 5 bottom-feeders or bottom clubs from the Big 5 in a tier-two (e.g. Braga) and are light on silverware either way.

The only name I didn't have to look up is fellow CB Tin Jedvaj, whose career highlight is a six-season stint as a rotator at Bayer.

This could be his actual salary

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #5481 The Irish Rover, Jan 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
    Panathinaikos paid 1.5 million euros to sign him on a 4 year deal, which suggests a maximum salary of 375k. Since he seems to have been rather keen on leaving Troyes, that would have reduced his negotiating power, though by enough to make him settle for 220k is very odd. Maybe that's his base, and add-ons (appearances, win and trophy bonuses, an apartment, etc.) could top it up considerably, though surely not beyond 300k.

That said, he's spoken of this having been his first transfer of choice and Panathinaikos are the defending Greek Champions, which meant he has a very good shot at regular UEFA ball over the next few seasons and at a high level too - Braga and Marseilles in CL qualifying, Villareal and Rennes in the EL this season.

My guess is that he may have made bank and figured taking a pay cut would put him in the shop window going forward, and if he was to put a low buyout clause into his contract, he could secure a good move in a season or two with a shot at silverware and life experiences thrown in.

7. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    He says almost as much in his interview with @TacticalManager on his YouTube podcast.