The Ocho

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Patrick167, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have 2 draws and 10 losses against New Zealand. They haven't conceded more than 6 in any one match but they've conceded 6 3 times.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Probably not, but hard to say.

NZ has played VERY few games themselves over the past two years. They've played three games and won three games since the re-opening. They beat Curacao, Bahrain, and Gambia. [They also played some sort of unofficial game against Algeria that doesn't technically count as a national team game.] We know Curacao. They're probably significantly superior to Solomon Islands. So yes...........NZ should win.

There's aren't a ton of great players on NZ, but enough. Chris Wood of Burnley would give the USMNT defenders a tough game.

3. nirwin

nirwin Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Aug 20, 2007
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a single-game knockout format at a neutral site, which is what it would be if they played, anybody's got a chance. They have a batter chance in this format than they would home-and-away. That said, New Zealand should be the playoff team out of Oceania.

4. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the current political turmoil in the Solomon Islands mean that somebody else might be the most likely challenger to New Zealand?

5. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly New Caledonia has been on the rise recently having beaten NZ in the 2016 Oceania Nations Cup and they also were the last country to have a club win the Oceania Champions League. If I'm not mistake they can also call up French players? But don't quote me on that, but they do have players playing in France. Only problem is the region has been such a mess since covid. They haven't held the last 2 champions leagues, and just send teams to events instead of qualifiers so NZ may be the only team with any recent experience.

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We just got a preview of Alphonso Davies vs. Sergino Dest...Guess who won?;)

7. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I don't think Dest is close to being in the same world class conversation as Davies, but a foot race isnt the best indication of Dest's ability vs Davies. There's about 5 players in the world that can keep up with him and Dest isn't one of them.

IASocFan, TimB4Last and gomichigan24 repped this.
  8. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Jonathan David scores yet again, this time in the UCL vs Wolfsburg to keep his club in 1st place in the group. Best #9 in Concacaf and it's not particularly close there days. If anyone disagrees, tell me who is producing at anywhere close to his level, I'd love to know.

9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2609 gomichigan24, Dec 8, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    Yup Davies is obviously a better player than Dest, but I don't think there's many players in the world who could win a foot race against Davies.

And if it were up to me, we'd start Dest against El Salvador and Honduras and play Joe Scally at right back against Canada.

Patrick167 and TimB4Last repped this.
  10. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I agree. I would definitely start Scally against him. Scally is a hell of a player with a great future.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    A couple of friendlies escaped me - perhaps others have noticed and can report.

El Salvador 1-1 Ecuador (played Saturday)

Mexico v Chile (playing tonight at Q2 Stadium in Austin)

12. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    The Canadian. Who else would “win” in a post of yours?

majspike repped this.
  13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to VPN through Canada to watch that. I can't think of anyone who could beat Davies in a foot race.

14. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that number is actually less than 5, but point very well taken. :D

gomichigan24 repped this.
  15. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Julian Araujo starting for Mexico, Alvarez and Flores on the bench.

TimB4Last repped this.
  16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Can anyone point me to the club list of the players on the Mexico team tonight in their friendly vs Chile. I'm admittedly not up to speed on all their players club teams. Assuming it's mostly all LigaMX players, right?

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wikipedia has the up to date roster listed under "current squad".

Flores is on Arsenal's books, Galdames plays in Chile, Araujo and Alvarez play for LA Galaxy, the rest are domestic.

wixson7 repped this.
  19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Antonio.

dlokteff, gomichigan24 and CANPRO repped this.
  20. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When they made the World Cup in 2010 they got 3 draws. You think they don’t know how to get to PK’s?

CONCACAF side should be favored but in 1 match, weird things happen

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Wikipedia is your friend. :)
    It was a domestic roster other than Efrain Alvarez, Julian Araujo, Marcelo Flores, and Galdames (who plays in Chile). By the way, the game was 2-2 draw. Mexico hasn't won any of their last 4 matches. I think they're safe when it comes to WCQing, but mostly because they've already played most of their tough games. They're certainly not in great form.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_national_football_team

22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And according to reports Araujo was apparently the best player on the field for Mexico.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Really shouldn't surprise anybody that Araujo played well. We know his level.

But with the advancement of Scally to add to our existing right back pool..................I really don't know what we'd do with Araujo. He'd kinda be a Jonathan Spector-style versatile defender on the bench.

I'll take a Pepi for Alvarez/Araujo/Ochoa 3-for-1 trade every day of the week.

I'll also take Jonathan Gomez for the next three Alvarez/Araujo/Ocho types thank you very much.

We need to retain "difference makers" in positions of need. There are so many Mexican-American dual-nationals that we can't possibly provide opportunities for all of them. That's true of all players, not just Mexican-Americans.

IndividualEleven and yurch10 repped this.
  24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Dest will do fine v. Davies in quali's. Barca v. Bayern is a different game.

Scally will be needed on our left to pass to Pulisic/Aaronson et al.

25. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    As it happens, New Caledonia is voting this weekend on independence from France. It’s kind of a tense situation, from what I’ve read. Who knows what kind of team they would be able to bring to qualifying.