The Obi Mikel Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Poll: FIFA's decision regarding J O Mikel

No, he signed and was happy with signing for United.

Now, following death threats and the lure of money, he's changed his tune.

All the paperwork was done and dusted and he was a United player. The only way he could get out of the contract was by appealing to FIFA that he was "pressured" into signing for United in the first place.... but the only "pressure" has been coming from London.

2. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

So who do you believe then?????

I mean if you're gonna come in here and piss peopkle off at least have the decency to tell us your "expert" opinion.....

3. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA

Nah, to believe Chelsea, you have to believe that Man Utd somehow completely overpowered the will of an 18-year-old who knew he was going to be a millionaire soon.

Get real. The kid had leverage, talent, and knew it. He knew the big clubs were in for him. He wasn't about to sign for one - unless he's too dumb to live - without being ok with it.

Seriously, your argument is premised on Mikel being the most tremendous weakling to ever walk the earth. Either that, or us drugging him.

4. NYCgeezer

NYCgeezer New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    New York City
    Re: John Obi Mikel...

let's kidnap abromavich. and take his piggy bank.

5. Crestofthestars

Crestofthestars New Member

Aug 18, 2004

Funny how in the pictures of Mikel signing for United he's there showing off his United shirt with a massive beaming grin on his face isn't it. All of sudden he gets death threats and put into a safe house and just around that time it transpires that several Nigerian agents linked with him have been promised a cut if he had moved to Chelsea.

Then all of a sudden amid rumours of death threats to his parents back home in Nigeria he remembers that he was forced into signing for United and actually wants to play for Chelsea.

Such amazing coincidences!

6. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

We can't because he's protected by these guys.....

[​IMG]

7. blackpool fc mark

blackpool fc mark New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL

Yes it does seem that J O Mikel has been highly foolish, and it does seem a hard pill to swallow that he was forced to sign for the club unwillingly, however nobody knows what happened after he signed or what went on, unlike some people on these boards who believe they know exactly what happened, im not here to prove or disprove anything, Chelsea might of rang him up next day and offered him double, alternativley, maybe Man Utd promised him the world before he signed then delivered nothing after, there are so many scenarios. NOBODY knows, i ask people to stop reading internet articles and tabloid newspapers then trying to come up with the solution.

Anyway, on another point, if you choose to believe other reports it looks like Fifa are leaving it up to the player himself (although nothing confirmed), now I cant look into the future or anything but if I would give good money to be at a Chelsea-Utd game first time Mikel lines up for Chelsea, the words 'rough-reception' were invented for that game alone.

8. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Blackpool: You acknowledge that nobody knows what happened yet you state that he signed with a club unwillingly. Contradiction? Please clarify.

9. blackadder

blackadder Member

Jun 16, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

United was still a public company when the contract was signed. If I was looking for the most transparency I'd look to the PLC.

10. mst77

mst77 New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Washington

Exactly, which is why it's mildly amusing to see the childish insults spouted on here. No one at Chelsea or FIFA has accused you of doing anything underhanded. The gist of the story is that JOM was never Lyn's player to sell due to the manner in which they signed him (and subsequently passed him on to you a week later for a £4 million markup).

I won't be surprised if FIFA uphold Lyn and Man Utd's claim, but likewise it won't surprise me if they decide to take a stand on the side of the player here. I think a fair case can be made that the an 18-year-old Nigerian kid playing in Norway wasn't aware of his rights and was taken advantage of by Lyn when he "signed" his deal with them (possibly after being forced to do so without the presence of his agent or even a family member).

11. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary

Ugh, Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea...Chelsea gets Essien, CHelsea gets Mikel...I think I'll be sick now..

12. NYCgeezer

NYCgeezer New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    New York City

I'm hoping that karma comes through in the end :rolleyes:

Chelsea must have some bad luck coming their way

13. Hawki

Hawki New Member

May 4, 2005
    NorCal, USA

This is just another one of those times when someone is NOT responsible for their own actions. The kid is old enough to receive a contract for 4mil but is too young to be accountable for his own word.

Quite frankly, I think Chelski is going to have their hands full with him before it's over.

14. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA

Errr...we're entitled to make reasonable inferences on the best available evidence. When the best available evidence is that, absent (a) the use of mind-influencing drugs or (b) completely bitch-dom on Mikel's part, Man Utd are in the right...we're going to draw that inference.

You remind me of the people who always proclaim "innocent until proven guilty!" in the media. That's crap. You can't send someone to jail until they're proven guilty, but you're sure entitled to think they're guilty and express this belief.

Correspondingly, we're perfectly reasonable in asserting our belief that Chelsea acted infamously, given the facts we know. Now, we wouldn't be entitled to actually enforce this belief, because the quantum of proof isn't good enough - but we're not doing that (though many wish they could!).

15. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, again, unless the rules are different over in Norway and/or the UK, at 18 he's an adult, so we need to stop referring to him as a kid. If he's big enough to sign a multi-million pound contract, he needs to be big enough to have the proper legal authorities present as well. This isn't exactly schoolboy form stuff.

16. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

This whole thing is starting to sound just like Terrel Owens contract.....

Poor Mikel/T.O. I don't like the Club/Contract I signed.........

So they tell everyone I was forced to sign an unfair contract and leve it up to eveyone else to figure out while I take
    no responsibility for my actions.....

It's tough making decisions and not having to live up to the responsibility of them...... :rolleyes:

17. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's easy to do when the only controlling authority of your actions is the morons at FIFA.

18. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas

Another notch in the ol' ignore list...

19. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Hawki

Hawki New Member

May 4, 2005
    NorCal, USA

Absolutely ... this is probably the most disturbing part of it. What ramifications is this going to have. I don't think they will, but if FIFA does not take a stand soon, player-club relations are going to become total chaos.

21. listen_up_fergie

listen_up_fergie New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal

FIFA are a bunch of fvcked up hypocrites. No player should be able to whimsically terminate a contract, unless he not a legal adult. This is just pathetic.

22. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

Chelsea and Fifa can kiss my ass. What was Fifa;s reason for giving him to chelsea.

23. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005

I think we're there now.

24. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team: