The Nutmeg - legit or gimmick

Discussion in 'Coach' started by NewDadaCoach, Jun 25, 2020.

1. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Wondering what folks here think of the nutmeg. To many, it seems to be a whimsical afterthought. But, in my opinion, it is perhaps a somewhat undervalued move that should be given more attention.

Do you see it as a real move, that should be studied and practiced? Or something that is more of a "show-off" move, not valuable/practical enough to deserve deliberate practice, not a real tool to add to the tool kit?

2. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I worked a camp that taught different ways to do a nutmeg. It's probably something coaches shouldn't work on in practice more than once a year, once a season. That kind of work should be left to the player.

I learned about it reading a book on Pele in the 80s as a kid.

it's the way things are now. Everything is adult directed. There is little free experimentation in kids' development as footballers.

players are better technically now as a whole but there's still so few with that mental spark.

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  3. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    I think it's a good tool to help the littles with 1v1, how to escape a tight space while shielding. If both sides are actively engaged I think it helps them to learn to feint then attack the opening they created. There's really only 3 paths past the opponent, why take away 1/3rd of your options?

But please, teach them that it only counts if they/their team keeps the ball afterwards. So many videos out there of people doing it where what happens to the ball afterwards is an afterthought.

That's great if you're developing a panna/freestyler, but if youre developing a soccer player, it matters tht the ball is retained.

I'd use it a lot when we'd play the "mission impossible" game. 3/4/5-a-side to small goals, each team has some task to accomplish before they can score, and they also have to figure out what the other team's task is. So one team might get
    "everyone has to touch the ball before the goal counts" the other might get "you have to nutmeg the defender before you can shoot". Or "every defender has to be nutmegged before you can take a shot". Or with little kids and puggs, there's always the cluster near the goal, you can make the "shotmeg" a requirement.

If you make it part of the team culture - ie if we're together and balls are around, we're all "playing" and you can be megged anytime - they get reps on timing/applying different force. There I care a little bit less if they keep the ball afterwards, it's mostly about the touch & mindset to try it - just a tiny bit of "swagger" if you will. I tend to coach incredibly polite/well mannered urban yet affluent kids whre that entire youthful "burned you" thing most kids used to grow up with is anathema.

I generally wouldn't "teach" it directly like "ok boys, tonight we nutmeg". It usually happens organically during the first small sided game/scrimmage, and then I'd freeze and ask "anybody know what that is?" and explain from there...

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  4. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I never understood the hooplah surrounding the "nutmeg". It isn't a move. In beating an opponent, you have four choices: left, right, through, or over. Beat is beat. Skill is required in all cases.

5. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    It seems to be more useful in an urban setting where the playing spaces are typically smaller. In street soccer or futsal, etc that is where a lot of the panna type stuff can more easily be developed since it is more useful in small spaces, imho. I also wonder if it's easier to learn technique with flat soles. Some moves seem harder with cleats. Different feel on the sole

6. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I think it can be useful to go through. But it would have to be practiced quite deliberately as it requires a keen awareness of the opposing players legs, which typically isn't what is taught. You teach generally how their body moves (did they bite on your feint, etc) but not paying attention to legs for the nutmeg.

7. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    I forgot over. But I'd much rather have my players go for the nutmeg than the rainbow :)

rca2 and NewDadaCoach repped this.
  8. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    You have to be a youngster compared to me. Look at Pele's first goal against Sweden in the 1958 finals.

9. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    That is the wrong way to teach or play. Everything in 1v1 is about watching for the weight shifts. Same in every sport. I consider teaching players to "wrongfoot" an opponent is part of fundamentals of dribbling and striking (passing and shooting). Get the opponent leaning one way and cut the other way (or pass). I coached u10s to do it. That is 8 and 9 year olds. It is something you should learn playing pickup in the neighborhood--soccer, football, or basketball.

Whether you go through, over or left or right, it all starts by unbalancing the opponent.

Joe Martelo repped this.
  10. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From my perspective, it generally happens when the defender is either not positioned correctly, slow, or his opponent does a good job of getting the defender's feet tied up. It's not something to spend time on teaching other than as it pertains to dribbling, ball control, and realizing the best path forward.