The NT Captain in the WC

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by vipnerd, Mar 22, 2010.

1. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
    I have been listening for a few weeks now from the Niembro/Bilardista media that Messi should be the captain of the NT in the WC. That that might be the extra "push" he needs to feel that it is "his time" for the NT. Sorta what Bilardo did with Diego back in January of 1983 at Spain's Costa Brava (wheere Diego was recup from hepatatis), when Bilardo appeared by surprise to tell Diego he had him in his plans and that he would be the "narigon's" captain.

Just heard tonite on Spanish radio Marca that apparently Diego could be giving Messi the captain's armband. Lets not forget that Inda, Marca's Director, has spent the last few days in Bs As ... and was indeed in the studios of Fox Sports at least twice.

The "leaks" to this sector of the media are constant. They are presented as "the media's thoughts" on issues ... they seem to me that they are just leaks ... sort of to prepare the field or to give those journalists the "first to suggest" status.

What are your thoughts. Masche is the captain, yet it seems that Veron or Demi are the leaders. Could this be what Messi needs?

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't like it. Messi is a great player, but he's not captain material, at least not at this stage in his career. He's a shy kid.

Maradona needs to give him his full support but also try to take some of the pressure from him. I think if anything being captain would put even more pressure on his shoulders.

3. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agreed 100%.

4. lapulga10

lapulga10 New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    This is a bad idea, Like you said Messi already has enough pressure on him and this would not be a good move. In my opinion Samuel should be the captain he seems like a great leader and also considering he will be our number 1 defender.

5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And what effect would this have on Mascherano, and the rest of the team? Not a good idea at all.

6. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi the captain? Hmmm I do not know. Also not sure if he is yet ready. I am not sure what Masch has done so far to say he deserves the captain armband. I'd like Samuel as our captain. It starts from the back, and you could see in his eyes that he is a fierce leader. My vote is for Samuel..

[​IMG]

7. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Samuel is too impulsive to be a captain IMO, then again so is Masch. So I dunno...
    Anyway Messi doesn't need the armband, he needs a system that plays to his strengths and doesn't castrate him.

8. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Tevez should be captain.

9. King Aguero

King Aguero New Member

May 22, 2008
    Watched that Inter vs Chelsea and Inter vs Palermo games and yes Samuel should be the captain!

10. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi is by no means ready to be captain. By the time Maradona captained the side in Mexico, he was older than messi by 3 years and had already captained Argentinos, Boca, Barca, and Napoli. Messi is brilliant, but I doubt that he will ever make a great captain at club or international level, even if continues this amazing form.

11. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    the logical solution for who should be captain is zanetti. bring him back on and let him be the captain. anyone who can captain inter milan as long as zanetti has, can captain any NT side...

otherwise - if veron can play 3 consecutive games for more than 80 minutes each, then he can be a good option as captain. i would even rather have heinze than messi at this point in time

messi - no way, mabye by 2014, but not right now. and it's for the reasons that have already been mentioned earlier.

while i dont know what goes on behind the scenes and during training, i dont' feel messi shows captain-like attributes during games especially when he plays on a team with several captains such as Puyol, Xavi, Valdes, Iniesta and even Henry who was captain of arsenal...

12. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    isn't it "understood" that the real captain is zanetti?

13. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The problem with that is that we don't know for certain if Zanetti will be called for the World Cup...

14. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    that's a good point. he has been in and out of the squad.

how do you guys feel about mascherano as captain? i know he was reluctant to take on the armband, but has he grown into the role?

don't think messi needs that responsibility. he's got a lot of weight on his shoulders already.

veron, if he can play regularly, seems like a natural choice, but i feel that like that will cause an uproar, though i understand that the sentiments towards him has changed over the last year or so.

15. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have never been a fan of veron, but its obviously he is part of diego's plans. the only thing i do not want is him being handed the main playmaking role in a 4-4-2 like against germany. Would love to see La Brujita sitting behind some one like Pastore, or even Tevez.

As far as the armand goes, Maradona has made it clear that Veron is the coach on the field and the captain with out the arm band. The only reason he does not have the armband is because Diego probably realizes that Veron cannot play all the games in a grueling WC campaign. He played a lot of games with out much of a break, and now estudiantes are going all out on both fronts. I don't remember him playing this much during the Clausura last season, but I could be wrong. I just don't know how much a 35 year old veron will have in the tank come june...

16. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

i've been preaching this about veron for almost a year now. while i respect veron tremendously - he's not cut out or physically reliable enough to withstand a 3 group games in 10 days or however many days it is.

players like pastore, bolatti or banega are going to have to quickly learn how to handle the pressures of playing at the highest possible level which is a world cup. i know the easiest solution to all of this - but there is another thread that has been beaten to death about that certain attacking mid....

as for the captain - masche as captain has not impressed me too much - the results speak for themselves. i would probably even be more at ease if heinze were captain

17. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i think that zannetti is the best option

18. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at this point no one has shown true captain qualities, or for that matter actually
    participated consistently
    except for:
    veron, heinze

samuel: just got back into the team(and i hope stays there)
    messi: all of you guys gave great replies why it wouldn't be a good idea
    forwards: no one really

pretty much leaves everyone with masch, heinze, veron

zanetti ranks higher than anyone on the team, by far
    however this is life, you take what you can get and move on
    besides this is not the biggest concern for the team, other things need to be
    addressed 1st

19. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not Tevez? I think he could be the man on an emergency.

20. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
    Captains should be starters ... not power subs? :confused:

21. King Aguero

King Aguero New Member

May 22, 2008
    Leadership is not about whos been on the team longer and whos older or has done it before its about the qualities of a leader! Samuel has those qualities! They also apply to those that lead by example in terms of playing hard and showing it on the floor communication wise so Samuel is my #1 choice now assuming this is the starting lineup

Angeleri, Demi, Samuel, Heinze, Jonas, Masche, Veron, Di Maria, Messi, Higuain

that makes Veron my #2 choice and Demi probably my #3 choice however id also consider Diego Millito for a #3 choice if he ever started or was on when a captain was off.

22. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i see what you mean, but you wouldn't give a guy the armband after what 1(?) match

veron is obvious, but unfortunately the likely hood of he not getting fatigued after several matches is pretty low

diego milito? i think you mean gabriel milito(when he comes back of coarse)

another problem is we dont know who's starting......

i do find it funny how masch is not in your picks though, i agree:)

23. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    yea how can you say smuel when he's played 1 game for Argentina over the last 4 years.

I think it is a more relevant converstaion to talk about who the vice captain is, as it is very likely that masch will be suspended at one point during the world cup.

when this happened during qualifying, heinze took the arm band. lets hope that doesn't happen again