"The Norwegian Wonderkid"- The Official Welcome Martin Ødegaard Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by -Fifth CharM-, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ødegaard vs Villarreal

Rating 6.6 (lowest of the midfield 4)
    66'
    Dribbles 1/1
    Passes 22/25
    Shots 0
    Chances 0
    Tackles 0
    Crosses 2/6
    Duels 3/5

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  2. ThePlayBook

ThePlayBook Member

Real Madrid
    France
    Jan 17, 2021
    I’m rooting for him! And really really hope he comes good for us! We desperately need that but I’m afraid he might not.. He believed his own hype a little too much..

Digital and Lyra repped this.
  3. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I still think we'll sell him. The way he left, I don't think that can be repaired.

4. benny_madridista

Real Madrid
    Nov 30, 2020
    Villarreal were able to nullify him.
    Anyway, he's not entirely to blame for that, what he's to blame for is joining a bad team with a donkey of a coach.
    Hope he'll be able to succeed elsewhere if that's not here.

Drouchk repped this.
  5. ThePlayBook

ThePlayBook Member

Real Madrid
    France
    Jan 17, 2021
    What’s wrong with the way he left?

6. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    If Zidane is not here I see him having a chance.

So much depends on what happens with Zidane. Is he committing or not?

7. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's be honest. His time in Arsenal has been a mixed bag. Some hype early on but he hasn't put in a great performance in a month or so.

Lyra repped this.
  8. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Let's put a little perspective on this in that it's Arsenal and Playgirl himself Arteta is the manager.

9. pramod

pramod Member

Realmadrid
    Sep 4, 2006
    Hyderabad @ India
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Yesterday in arsenal match he was replaced in the second half and was much remained passive through game

10. ThePlayBook

ThePlayBook Member

Real Madrid
    France
    Jan 17, 2021
    #2110 ThePlayBook, May 7, 2021
    Last edited: May 7, 2021
    I don’t think that’s all there is.. how you gauge a player has a lot to do with output ie performance versus expectation. When there is no expectation everything that player does seems good or bad but over time based on output/performance you begin to form a gauge of expectation which in turn informs the lens through which you view output/performance. That is all filled with bias based on how you view your lens..

I think MO should have bided his time here and taken in the playing time he got, whiles learning the ropes from KCM. He probably thought he deserved better and that he was ready to be the main man.. In an Arsenal midfield begging for exactly that.. he hasn’t been able to step up.. and we are all looking at him based on our expectation/bias..

He is a damn good player who will probably fit well in a system but that’s all there is..

Right now most people will rate Foden, Mount even F Torres higher than him.. but ask yourselves in terms of potential and skill.. who has the highest ceiling and who is most likely to maximize whatever ceiling they have? I’m not sure the answer based on my bias and performances right now would be Martin..

Digital repped this.
  11. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody thinks or says Odegaard has Bd'O talent or potential (except possibly Flo if he was put on the spot to give an answer). That said I think he will have his "moment", possibly with his national team. He will certainly be one of the stars along with Haaland for Norway in what could become a "spoiler" team in future international tournaments.

12. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm not disagreeing with you, but if the choice is to play Modric without rest or even hook him at the 70th minute then we can't say the players aren't there.

I mean, we're at the point of the season where a body is just a body in the field if we're playing Militao at RB and Vini as a RWB. If Odegaard doesn't light up the pitch or pan out long term, I'm pretty comfortable in saying that's on him, however use him here and there so you keep the player somewhat closer to a content state and so your real war horses aren't crippled by the end of April

13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's the same with every young player though. When Håland goes scoreless in 7 consecutive matches people don't bother mentioning it, but if he'd go scoreless for 7 matches in a Madrid shirt people here would claim we were robbed.

14. ThePlayBook

ThePlayBook Member

Real Madrid
    France
    Jan 17, 2021
    Expectation versus output

15. ThePlayBook

ThePlayBook Member

Real Madrid
    France
    Jan 17, 2021
    Agree I think more could have been done by both parties.. but it depends on what content is.. maybe content for a player is sub every other game and for some it’s at least 3 starts in a month? I don’t know.. my whole point is things are not necessarily that black or white

Digital repped this.
  16. Icalldibbs

Icalldibbs Member

Real Madrid
    Mexico
    Mar 12, 2019
    Odegaard had an interview with his national tv or radio station and confirmed what we already knew, that he’s staying. Just have to say Im very happy this kid will finally be able to say he is a concrete 1st team player for this team. Exited to see what he can do. It’s been 6 years since he signed, finally feels he might get a good chance to prove his worth.

17. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    He was a concrete one last year, he just ran away the first chance he could.

18. Icalldibbs

Icalldibbs Member

Real Madrid
    Mexico
    Mar 12, 2019
    I don’t see it like he ran away as much as he felt it important to play more than what Zidane was offering him. Wether it panned out or not is another issue but I defiantly understood his reasons to want to be loaned out.

19. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fat Isco started getting minutes ahead of him when we needed a goal at Osasuna. I can't blame the kid alone. ZZ started making some questionable decisions when the pressure started mounting. He played very well vs Inter and got discarded after the loss to Shakthar where everyone played terrible.

I am excited to see Odegaard under Carlo as he somehow made Kroos Modric Isco James midfield work beautifully until Luka got injured.

20. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Odegaard: "Real Madrid has been clear, they want me back"

"It is clear that my dream has always been to play there,"

"The situation is that I am a Real Madrid player and I have to go back there in a week and a half . Real Madrid has been clear: they want me back. So I will have to travel there when training starts," he told Norwegian television TV2.

"It is clear that my dream has always been to play there . I have been at the club for more than six years now, and that has always been my goal,"

https://www.marca.com/futbol/real-madrid/2021/06/24/60d3b04f268e3ef72f8b45ce.html

MiamiNative0722 and PigBenis repped this.
  21. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    No one is saying Odegaard is only at fault but the guy demanded an exit the first chance he got.

Saying he wasn't concrete is bullshit because he was a regular before his second injury. It was after that injury for whatever reason Zidane completely dropped him. Weeks later and he has already requested the club let him go.

That is weak as hell for a guy who says he dreams to be at Madrid, but then again his example is the Belgian bust. That guy dreamth of Madrid too.

That mentality is why I am not excited any more about this kid. That isn't the mentality of a champion like Modric or Kroos... etc etc. That isn't someone who will bleed and fight to the end. He will just quit. As he has shown us.

The fact he was inconsistent at Arsenal is another issue because if he can't dominate Arsenal.... how in the world does he expect to be untouchable in Madrid?

Anon. repped this.
  22. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
    There's a big difference between "demanding an exit" (which to me implies demanding a permanent transfer) and going on a half-season loan to a new country, new team, new language (though not sure if he already spoke English like seemingly most Scandinavians), and then still wanting to come back when the half-season loan ends.

He just wanted more playing time so he continue developing -- he wasn't screwing us over, looking for more money, looking for an easier situation to move to permanently and just coast like some players do. I have no problem at all with what he did.

23. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    You can beautify this all you want but we didn't want him to leave but he insisted so we caved to his demands. We're the ones who refused to sell him as well.

The players that tend to be successful at the club have strong character. He hasn't shown this and his loan at Arsenal wasn't even impressive.

24. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So what's the thing then? Do we sell him to Aquafresca as a punishment?

25. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Odegaard interview on June 3:

"Ancelotti's words about me were misinterpreted"

"I know him and I had a good relationship with him when he was there."

Odegaard, in an interview on Channel Norwegian TV 2 Sporten, made reference to the words dedicated Ancelotti in his famous book once he left the bench the Bernabeu: " In the book he talked a little about that. I think some would misread a bit, but it isnot something that stresses me. What he said was probably just that I was a player for the future. And in Madrid had many not so good moments as a coach. I think that's what he meant, so I didn't waste much more time on that. " Odegaard is clear that returning to Madrid is a good idea: "I absolutely believe that returning to Madrid will be a success."

https://as.com/futbol/2021/06/03/primera/1622741339_321624.html?omnil=resrelart

PigBenis and MiamiNative0722 repped this.