The next young player United should go after

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sandon Mibut, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I know the last thing DC needs is another member of its kiddie corps, but, if this kid is available in, say, the second round next year, DC ought to think long and hard about getting him.

His name is Arturo Alvarez, a rising 12th grader from Houston, and he is a forward/midfielder who is one of the best players on George Gelnovatch's US national U-18 team.

He's currently playing aside United's own Justin Mapp as he earned his strong play with the 18s earned him a look from our old friend Thomas Rongen with the U20 team. Thus far, he is the youngest player Rongen has looked at with the 20s.

Supposedly the kid has great technical ability and vision and plays with a lot of flair.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention - while he was born in Texas, both his parents happen to be from a little country south of there called.... El Salvador.

Here's a link to a story on him in the Houston Chronicle.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.h...rts/soc/1511924

The way I see it, if we're gonna have young players, and have Salvadoreans, we might as well develop one who can both play for the US AND serve as a bride to the Salvadorean community.

2. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    Personally, I think DC needs to lay off the recruting young talent bit. It's caused too many growing pains. While this kid definately needs to be looked at by the MLS, Dallas should be the team taking a gander.

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I say we draft him and trade him to Dallas for Joselito Vaca ;)

4. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I can't wait till sormun reads this thread.

5. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    So then Sandon this guy will be a roster protectd developmental player, right? If he has a good winter than I'd say that he'll go no later than late first round, probably earlier, though I don't have a great handle on next year's Superdraft yet. Sandon- you are more informed about the draft- who do you think will go before him?

6. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    The MLS rights to Earnie Stewart. ;) Well, I don't know how warrented that winky face really is...

7. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL! :D

Winoman

8. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    OK guys, enough kidding around (pun intended). Sandon's right (oh ... how unusual ;)). Arturo will be the next Convey type player, but with a tad more scoring ability and less vision. The kid can play!

But, we have too many teen attacking players, IMHO, United will have to pass or trade.

-Tron

9. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I still think that we'll go for a defender in the draft. But this kid does look good.

10. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    A defender and then not sign him and have the Revfs pick him up in midseason?? :D

11. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    IN 2 years, we will need vaca or someone of Diablos caliber.

Diablo will not be what he is now 2 years from now, as he is not the same 2 years ago.

Convey is a good player, but not great. Chino is a hard worker, but not someone that will ever replace diablo. VACA can do that now and 2 years from now, he will be awsome.

12. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Makes you wonder why Payne didn't draft him. I asked KP that question twice and never got a straight answer.

13. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think everyone figured that Vaca would be picked up by a European club by now.

14. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 years from now? we need someone for next year.

15. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I disagree. I think Convey is an excellent player, and in 2 years will be competing for the central attacking midfielder on the USMNT, not just DC United. I think he CAN handle the position next season, but there will be a learning curve as he adjusts to it.

With players like Olsen, Moreno and Eliseo to combine with, he can create a very potent attack. His vision is exceptional, his holding ability good, and his passing extroidinary. But he's not a traditional carry-through-midfield player, so he needs a higher offensive quality link man to get him the ball.

He's ideally an attacking midfielder in a 352 with a holding midfielder to get him the ball, and fast attackers to make quick slanting runs. That's the team Payne is developing, and Olsen, Moreno, Eliseo, Mapp, Reyes, Chino and even formerly Perez fit that system quite well. Guys like Williams, McKinley and Lazo don't really fit that system. BUT, Williams is our best Dmid, so unless we get a Gazza/Zarco type to be our holding midfielder next to Williams, Convey will play another season on the left wing.

-Tron

16. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    If Arturo Alvarez joins MLS, is there a chance that he'd last into the second round? This is a deep draft upcoming. I am pretty sure that if he did, the Dallas Burn would draft him as soon as possible.

He can play left wing, which at this point is the only hole in their entire lineup. He's local to them, and there is also a sizable El Salvadorean community down there as well. Given Jefferies ability to identify and acquire exceptional young talent, particularly ones with local ties, I might expect him to even trade up for Arturo.

-Tron