The new Yedlin MNT discussion thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bct81, Oct 6, 2019.

1. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is important to remember he is just 26 ..... as long as pace stays intact - one would think he is THE proper choice for RB for the US. He is playing at a high level and starting in Europe. How would he not be? Only (illogical) reason would be that GGG wants Tyler Adams there ... but who knows when Tyler will be back, and it seems logical that DY is the right man for this slot for the US.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ha, take that over to the Dest thread...and enjoy (I agree with you, btw, DY #1 on the depth chart for me)

3. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Lol, Dest is as good as gone. So be it. DY has a lot of heart and some major wheels. We could do much worse.

4. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DY has been playing competitively in England for a while now. He had RB locked up for Newcastle last year until an injury and a late game-losing penalty giveaway saw him sharing time with Manquillo. I watched most of his games last year and while he was better than Manquillo... he had some ups and downs. He looked like a real difference maker in this one. He is just hitting his prime so I hope he stays healthy and takes it to the next level. If he plays RB and GG makes the no-brainer decision to put Adams at DCM then I think there are some real possibilities on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. He is set to be the USMNT player that sees the most minutes in the EPL.

5. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    If DY at RB means Adams at DCM then let’s hope DY stays healthy.

6. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta hope both stay healthy. I am hearing that there is not a ton of talent in the youth levels at CDM. Attacking mid and CD yes... CDM... not so much. This team needs a healthy Adams very badly.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Obviously we hope that they all stay healthy, but I think that's a bit of an overreaction regarding the DM pool. U23 defensive mids include Adams, Durkin, Parks, Sands, Cerrillo, and Leyva. Maybe McKennie, depending on how you define him positionally. That seems fine.

8. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    Brandon Servania & Jackson Yueill should be added to this list too. Although at this point the senior USMNT is very week at this position due to Adams injury.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  9. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The starting d-mid for the U.S. U-23 team is probably going to be Hassani Dotson.

RalleeMonkey and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points... particularly the latter... because I think Weston would be a very good CDM. Is there a formation out there that has two on the field at once? Perhaps a 3-5-2?

Forward - Forward
    Winger - Attacking CM - Winger
    CDM1 - CDM2
    Left Back - Center Back - Right Back

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 with 2 DM rather than 2 CM. A 3-5-2 sort of works, but those wide players are usually wing backs rather than outright wingers, so you'd essentially be jettisoning players like Boyd, Morris, Arriola, (arguably) Pulisic, and Weah from the team for the foreseeable future if that was the idea. Plus, the forwards are largely ass, so do we really want two of them starting? Would be killer for Yedlin though.

The defensive 4-3-3 is what I think the US should be using right now FWIW.

Winoman, glutton4Bolts and DHC1 repped this.
  12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Who are the front 6? Thanks.

13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    LW: Pulisic
    ST: Altidore
    RW: Boyd, Arriola, or Morris
    CM: Pray that someone steps up
    CDM: McKennie
    CDM: Adams

Winoman, Dr.Phil and DHC1 repped this.
  14. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice analysis. You bring up a good point about our forwards... Sargent has shown some promise but is far from a sure thing. Not a lot of 9s on the horizon that I am keenly aware of.

15. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altidore can't seem to stay healthy.... Sort of a common theme w/ the better players on the USMNT.

Regarding the CM... seems like there is a lot of U23 talent at that position. Gotta expect one of them to hit.

16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    i think this is our best option - my concern is primarily defensive vs. good teams.

We will need our wingers to defend and therefore, I'd probably have Adams on Pulisic's side as Christian is not noted for his defense while the RW seems decent.

I'd be interested in a 352 against good teams where the two outside midfielders are Dest/Fabian/Chandler types who are good defenders as well as flank players but don't know what that does to Pulisic (roaming attacking CM in front of Weston and Tyler?).

17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    gogorath and gomichigan24 repped this.
  18. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's hard to believe he would have agreed to the buyout if it wasn't pretty much a sure thing.

19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just 2 years later, what a cursed OP...

as long as pace stays intact​

1. His pace is NOT the same

one would think he is THE proper choice for RB for the US.​

2. Sergino Dest

He is playing at a high level and starting in Europe.​

3. Inter Miami

[​IMG]

sXeWesley repped this.
  20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
  21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's been difficult for Yedlin, who adopted a primarily vegan diet two years ago.
    As someone who has been vegan for over two decades, I would just like to point out that there's no such thing as a "primarily" vegan diet. It sounds like Yedlin has adopted a primarily plant-based diet. But you're either vegan or you're not. Ted Bundy was "primarily" a non-murderer, but it's those brief slip ups that we tend to remember...

olephill2 repped this.
  22. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I have a friend who calls themselves an aspirational vegan. Meaning they do about three days and then cheat.

Philosophically problematic, but there's still lots of benefits.

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. I'm not criticizing at all... good for him that he has done so. Hopefully my edit clarifies:
    It sounds like Yedlin has adopted a primarily plant-based diet. But you're either vegan or you're not.​

gogorath repped this.
  24. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of interesting takeaways from that piece. A FOUR YEAR deal with Miami...I can see why he was willing to come back. He wasn't getting that anywhere else. Also, Gala had buyers remorse and was looking to offload him last summer, after less than half a season with the club.

25. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we call it a NEW Yedlin thread when it started well over two years ago?? :D