The new very latest...sedition? of "Fox News actively makes you stupid"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jun 27, 2022.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Thanks for the deep dive here :laugh:

The focus group was in the summer IIRC. These people are not always the sharpest tools in the shed so it's quite possible the person just had it wrong - about 75% of what the trumpers say in these interviews is insanity

Sounders78 repped this.
  2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You know that both things are true!!!

3. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox related.....Hope Smartmatic get their big payday !

Rupert Murdoch is being deposed in the $2.7 billion Smartmatic defamation lawsuit against Fox Corp. over allegedly damaging election lies, CNBC reports.

It is the second time this year that Murdoch has been deposed in a high-stakes defamation lawsuit accusing Fox News of airing damaging lies about the 2020 U.S. presidential election.

dapip and Mike03 repped this.
  4. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Dyvel repped this.
  6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Faux talking heads are earning their money:

bigredfutbol, Mike03 and charlie15 repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's interesting Meidas touch videos get 100s of 1000s of views per day, and they put out a lot each day - their channel has 2.4bn video views

3m views in the last 24 hours across 12 videos

https://www.youtube.com/@MeidasTouch

Just shows how much of this shit flies right under the MSM radar yet has giant engagement

Mike03 repped this.
  8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    bigredfutbol repped this.
  9. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taylor writes songs about people who piss her off. That's about as smart as attacking a late night TV host as a pedo.

On a more serious note, it's been really exhausting to live in a culture where a vacuous if talented singer-songwriter can't be a refuge from politics. Imagine the 80s if everything about Phil Collins and Genesis was fodder for partisan fights.

IMO, a very, very underrated benefit of Trump and Trumpism dying will be that we will be able to think about politics when we want to, and also avoid politics when we want to.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  10. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Spoken as a white heterosexual male. The rest of us don't get to ignore politics so easily.

11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    ?? Not sure you listened closely to the lyrics there??? Plenty of it was...

fatbastard repped this.
  12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point, but I 'liked' SD's post because I think he's in the right ball park--it's not politics, per se, we should be avoiding, it's subjecting every aspect of daily life to an ideological framing that's the problem. Too many people have made their politics their entire personality. They're simultaneously obsessed with political identity while also being deeply unserious about everything.

soccernutter, ElNaranja, Pønch and 4 others repped this.
  13. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what you got from it, huh? That having to think about politics when listening to Taylor Swift or watching the NFL is something that you, as a gay man, can't avoid? Even in the Before Times?

14. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick reminder of what I wrote about Genesis.

They wrote World of Confusion or whatever, but that was anodyne hah hah hah politicians are dumb. It wasn't exactly Billy Bragg doing Help Save the Youth of America. Or REM's Lifes Rich Pageant. I didn't think Illegal Alien was some insightful commentary into immigration policy. YMMV.

But also...there was no Fox News to bitch about Illegal Alien, and it's not like Team Reagan was bitching about it and making it part of the political discourse. And ESPN wasn't talking about NFL players' views on vaccines.

Susussudio

15. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, the best commentator on 80s pop music was Patrick Bateman.

16. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Just because you weren't reminded of your socio-political status on a daily basis in the old days doesn't mean that others weren't. Not everyone can just avoid it so easily.

17. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    of course that's not the question i asked you lol

18. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

You rarely ever answer questions that you are asked, so I'm not going to waste more of my time taking your questions seriously.

ShayG repped this.
  19. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, let me clarify my problem with your post. I said that there are instances in our daily lives where politics intrude. Your response was about what happens from time to time in our daily lives.

To put it in math terms, and accepting your argument, in the Before Times my privilege allowed me to only think about politics 3 times a day, while you had to think about it 6 times a day. Now, with this all encompassing existential crisis, I have to think about it 6 times a day and you have to think about it 12 times a day.

Your response was about an all-or-nothing scenario.

20. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    No, that's you reading into what I wrote but not actually focusing on what I wrote. "Easily" is not a synonym for "completely".

You might have been able to avoid politics when you wanted to (I am referencing your direct quote here, but I changed the pronoun from "I" to "you"), but many of us could not. That is what I was addressing.

Now, if you could actually come down off your high horse and focus on what people actually say instead of your bias that shapes what you hear, maybe you can actually learn a thing or two about the lives of other people. Unfortunately, I don't have any hope that will actually happen given your track record. You want a Trump of the left? Look in the mirror.

soccernutter repped this.
  21. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Jesus Fucking Christ...:sleep:

cliche_guevara and rslfanboy repped this.
  22. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Reagan was too busy committing a genocide against gay people to do that kind of commentary.

soccernutter and Sounders78 repped this.
  23. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, talk about stripping a word of its meaning....

Can't we just say his HIV/AIDS policies were awful without the G word?

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to point out that Taylor Swift's audience is largely not FoxNews watchers. And Swifties are a force to be reckoned with. Anything FoxNews says about Taylor Swift is about talking to the parents of the Swifties, but those Swifties are going to turn around and say something like "Ok, boomer." Particularly gay Swifties.

Additionally, I would like to point out that in the last couple of years of teaching, I saw a lot of (Black) students wearing Iron Maiden, Def Lepard, Friends, etc. t-shirts. When I asked some of them, the response was that they were not political.

25. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Taylor Swift is political and hates Trump.

On Tuesday morning, (couple of months ago) the singer posted a short message on Instagram encouraging her 272 million followers to register to vote. Afterward, the website she directed her fans to — the nonpartisan nonprofit Vote.org — recorded more than 35,000 registrations, according to the organization.

Sounders78 and soccernutter repped this.