The new Houston Soccer Thread.

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by quicksand, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the other one is now gone...any news on the Houston front?

2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully the Stadium people will get it right and not have mass seasting!

Heck ya!

Our Lil' Yanks (the U-20's) will take on arch-rival Mexico and their U-20's on August 3rd at U of H's Robertson Stadium. Tickets are just $10. I will be there with many others and I will be creating a die hard Tejas section so if you are interested in going look for a big Texas flag with Houston Tejas on it.

Also, I went to the Boca Jrs./Club America match and it was incredible. Did anyone else go? What did ya think?

3. Lextx97

Lextx97 Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I'm pretty new to the boards here. I'm interested in finding out whether any of you all have been to any matches at Robertson Stadium. With the UH renovations, it looks to be a nice stadium for soccer (holds about 30-35k). I hear that pretty good matches are held there every now and again (Boca Juniors v. America). I'm interested in finding out more about the atmosphere, crowd, etc., because I would like to drive in from Austin some day and catch a match.

4. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll most likely be at the game on the 3rd. I'll look for you Celt.

5. TxSoccerPlayer8

TxSoccerPlayer8 New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Texas
    So does anybody know if MLS will expand HERE anytime soon? Or is it gunna be a few more years? I love soccer, I play soccer, i basically live soccer, and I'm really sick of seeing the new football team all over the media here.

6. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sad truth is probably not. Major League Soccer has given little to no indication that they want to expand anytime soon, and, even worse, less indication they want to expand to Houston. After the initial talks of Houston expansion talk, everything seems to have gone quiet.

7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Houston soccer...trust me

the international matches at Robertson have a very hard time of being disapointing. First, any time there is a MFL club they have a good 10K+ in the stands and the teams know they just can't run about...their fans here in Houston expect and demand more.
    Second, clubs like America pull about 25K. The field is wide and most often in very good condition.
    I have been to every international match at Robertson dating back to when the field was as narrow as FIFA's minimum standard of 65 yards.
    I was with the Boca fans singing and jumping (I was introduced to Boca back in '94) last week and that was a great time!

LexTx97,

if there is a match of two clubs from different nations or an international, by all means get some buddies and come on down. Buy tickets at a Fiesta and park by the edge of the parking lot.

As far as expansion, I will just add this. The Houston Texans website makes a very clear designation that Reliant Stadium will be "in compliance with MLS standards". Looks like McNair and Co. have got some ideas. That's a very good sign gentlemen! It all starts with an investor, that's want Garber demands.

If any wants to at least quench their live footy fix. Follow a very good local High School team this winter....I'm the head coach at Madison and we play at Butler where my Hurricanes used to call home for many good games! I could use some vocal supporters.

8. TxSoccerPlayer8

Jul 10, 2002
    Texas
    reply 2 celt texan

Wow, that's really cool. Interesting new information. THANKS! That's the most updated news I've heard since websites that date back to 1996! haha, I've heard of Madison, I go to Klein and our boys soccer team is prettty good. Heads up, they actually mite make it to state finals this year or next. I'm just so suprised with all of the local participation in soccer that no one has a lot of interest in a mls team. We have sooo many good soccer clubs for the youth n all ( me being in one of them) hopefully one day we can get a professional team down here.

9. mls4houston

mls4houston New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Houston
  10. TxSoccerPlayer8

Jul 10, 2002
    Texas
    I went to the Texans site.....seee, it did say it was MLS compatible or somethin. WHOO HOO, they 're actually PONDERING the thought of it!!! That would be sooooo much better than drivin up to dallas

11. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas
    Re: reply 2 celt texan

ehh Klein sucks.

12. TxSoccerPlayer8

Jul 10, 2002
    Texas
    ah well, its my school, cant exactly leave it now can i? hahaha

13. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas
    but Baker sure does bring players in....

nah man. I graduated from JV in 2001. I played with a whole bunch of the guys on the Klein team.

Used to play for Classics, then went to Hurricanes. The Hurricanes blow now, but we were pretty good.

14. TxSoccerPlayer8

Jul 10, 2002
    Texas
    Yeppp, I learned how to play soccer from his camp, really nice too! Ahh JV, my cousin knows alotta people from there, I know about the Classics and Texans and all that good great guy stuff..hahaha, ah well, i'm a girl, gotsta kno which clubs have the cute guys

15. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas
    so what club are you on? Challenge? what age? I know some of the 86 challenge girls. That's my sisters age. although she isn't on challenge. she used to play for rita tower but now is just being a slacker at BCU.

16. TxSoccerPlayer8

Jul 10, 2002
    Texas
    oh nah, Challenge is too serious and freakin expensive, I play for Pursuit, are team sucks but we got alotta new people so we'll get better eventually.

17. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys! I just stumbled across the new thread. Haven't been using bigsoccer.com much lately.

Joel, still want to do anything with the website? I've still got some stuff I worked on including a sort of email interview with the Hurricanes owner.

What's going on with the Hurricanes and Toros? Does anyone use the email list anymore?

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not holding my breath for exspansion....GO TEXANS!

The HURRICANES are done man...sad but true. I tried my hardest to support and do my part.

19. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just out of curiosity, where is this stadium in relation to the Rice/downtown area?

20. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Not holding my breath for exspansion....GO TEXANS!

What!? When did this happen? This hasn't been a good year. Did the league fold or just the Hurricanes? They were the longest running pro team in Houston ever, weren't they? No chance of a return? Do the Toros still exist?

21. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HHFC is gone for now but at least I don't live in Dallas and have to support the Burn

Caddman,

Ya bro, the Houston Hurricanes FC est. 1994, Clutch City's longest running pro outdoor soccer club, has gone away because the owner was out of step with the Houston soccer scene and ran the franchise into the ground with some stupid business moves. HHFC was the USL D-3 South Central Division Champions in 1997, we played at Robertson Stadium, on road trips like Milwaukee back in the day,The Hurricanes would spike attendence just because it was Houston and our club was older than ALL current MLS clubs.
    It hurts not having a team to support as I've been a supporter since '94 and that there was so much potential for the team in this city.

As far as the Toros go....I piss on 'em as their colors are Red and Black. What idiot picked Red and Black for a soccer team in Houston like the freakin' Dallas Burn...stupid, like Aggie stupid on that call!

22. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which stadium? Robertson? Reliant?

Turns out I won't be there this weekend, as things have come up.

23. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas
    People just don't know how to market soccer in Houston. The whole US Youth Soccer Festival was so poorly advertised. Only 300 people were showing up for the matches.

24. TxSoccerPlayer8

Jul 10, 2002
    Texas
    yah no kiddin, more people showed up for that SCRIMMAGE of the new football team. 300?! ouch. if only i could've come.....that wouldn't mean i would've gotten to get lik a whole caravan full

25. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What sports department at Ch 12?

What's even worse is that there was 2012 Olympic Selection Commitee memebers present all week and they had to have been displeased with the complete lack of public turnout and support by the Anglo media. Ch 11, 12 and 13 did nothing in showing footage and or hyping the event. The Latino paper El Dia, Telemundo (48) and Univision (45) were there all week in full force and ran numerous articles and did their 10:00 sports rap up on location during the Lil' Yank/ Panchito match Sat. night! But the Anglo media was no where to be found!
    Some fans showed up saying that if they hadn't seen the article in the Soccer.Etc section of the Chronicle they would've missed the entire thing. They also mentioned that numerous other friends and fans of the beautiful game would have made it out but had planned outings elsewhere for the weekend.
    Its a no brainer for soccer and the Olympics. It is the money maker along with Track and Field. No city gonna get the American nod if it doesn't blow up the stands for association football. The ignorant sports experts at those stations just screwed the pooch on any chance of Houston and 2012. That's about $500 million+ in potential revenue for Houston gone like a fart in the wind! Kiss the freakin' Summer Games goodbye friends. Only divine intervention can save our bid now. No support for soccer is a death blow for Clutch City's bid!