The New Generation of Superstars

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by botch, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Time on what side? He's 26. He's got about three or four more good years left in him. Then age will reveal his lack of understanding of the game.

2. SCOUSER TOMMY

SCOUSER TOMMY New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Liverpool, UK

he has got more understanding of the game then Beckham he should of replaced beckham years ago in the middle for england instead of playing on the right hand side where he hated playing and still does to this day!! He will get better with age as ex liverpool players have done in the past the likes of Gary McAllister John Barnes, Ian Rush etc he was one of Liverpools greatest players and gerrard has learnt alot of him before he left us and he is still respected in the game.

3. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It was a wonderful goal, yes. But Ronaldo is faster and more athletic then Van Persie.

4. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    He's faster and more athletic, yes. But Van Persie is stronger, keeps the ball with him better and is a better header of the ball.

5. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Robben Chelsea/Netherlands not mentioned?

6. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    RE: Van Persie vs. Ronaldo...

In terms of techincal skill and ability, its close. They both control the ball with ease when it comes to trapping, and running with the ball, but the fact that Ronaldo controls the ball good running with such pace cannot be discarded. RVP has better technique striking the ball than Ronaldo. Both are great with their one on one skills. Heading the ball, Ronaldo has scored more goals than RVP despite supposedly having the weaker heading technique. But the question is, whose using their techinique to the best effect at the moment? Its Ronaldo.

Technique can be more than one attribute.

7. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He is good. But he highly favors his left foot. He is easily taken out of the game when defenders force him to use his left foot. Example is Miguel during WC.

8. botch

botch New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Barca/Melbourne/B.A
    We are talking about the next generation. Most of the ones mentioned are 21 and under

9. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to throw them out there, the FA's official stats on RVP and Ronaldo:

RVP:

Scoring stats

Goals: 10
    Shots on goal: 28
    Shots/goal: 3.11
    Minutes per goal: 148mins
    Avg goals/game: 0.50
    Pens taken/scored: 1/1
    Last goal: 84mins

Match stats

Appearances: 20
    Minutes on pitch: 1482
    Subs. (on/off): 3/9
    Assists: 6
    Caught offside: 13
    Crosses: 32

Ronaldo:

Scoring stats

Goals: 13
    Shots on goal: 60
    Shots/goal: 4.62
    Minutes per goal: 144mins
    Avg goals/game: 0.62
    Pens taken/scored: 1/0
    Last goal: 62mins

Appearances: 21
    Minutes on pitch: 1866
    Subs. (on/off): 1/7
    Assists: 6
    Caught offside: 6
    Crosses: 59

RVP's 10 goals to Ronaldo's 13, but Ronaldo has like 350 more minutes on the pitch, is RVP capable of 3 goals in that time? Sure.

Pretty even players to me, even share the same number of assists.

10. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    If they were equal, RVP would be playing more

11. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe that, I don't think United have had as many options on the wing most of the season - Park injured, so Ronaldo had to play - while RVP has to share with others.

12. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    With who Henry?;)

No but seriously. My logic earlier was poor.

One factor though that wasnt mentioned is more times than not, RVP plays up front, while Ronaldo plays on the right or left of midfield.

13. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not playing as far back as Hleb though, for example. Is Ronaldo not playing higher up on the wing as a wing-forward type with even more freedom than he's ever had? RVP has played up front but a lot of the time he's wandering into I don't even know what to call it and doesn't lead the line. Also, when we played one up top, Adebayor lead, Hleb on the right - didn't leave room for RVP. Now that Henry is back, RVP will see even less time.

14. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Doesn't Ronaldo have a more free roaming position with Manchester?

VP is much more limited in the Arsenal formation. He didn't always play on top, he played on the wings a lot too where Hleb usually plays.

15. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beat ya to it sucka! Though yours was shorter and sweeter, damn you =[.

16. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I have yet to see Van Persie score a complete luck goal like that again.

17. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And i never believed one minute could make a difference...until now that is :D

18. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He does, but you will never catch RVP has far back as Ronaldo comes back. Ronaldo most times (especially when our team isnt functioning well) is our outlet, and he has SOME defensive responsibilities. So seeing as how he is our main outlet at times, he has to come back deep at times to get the ball. I think if Ronaldo got to play his favoured position, (SS) completely, he'd be scoring more goals than he already is.

The sharing time point is valid.

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I've already said that RIGHT NOW Ronaldo is a better player than Van Persie, but that as far as I'm concerned is more to do with consistency than with footballing ability. Van Persie interestingly plays better for Arsenal if Henry is not playing, which indicates that the more important he's made, the better he performs. His performances for the Dutch national team underscore that, he's scored for his country the last five consecutive competitive games, which is a stat any player, including Ronaldo, would be jealous of. It is his brilliant form for Holland (which is something I believe not many people are aware of) rather than his performances for Arsenal that have made the Dutch people so excited about him. And you can say about the Dutch whatever you like, but they recognise a quality forward when they see one.

20. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    If you don't recognise how much skill and timing it takes to pick up a ball from the air in that way, I suggest you get yourself a football, go outside and try it yourself.

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Exactly. Hence my earlier point about him making more of an impact on the game if Henry doesn't play. He's wasted on the wing.

22. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He does, but you will never catch RVP has far back as Ronaldo comes back. Ronaldo most times (especially when our team isnt functioning well) is our outlet, and he has SOME defensive responsibilities. So seeing as how he is our main outlet at times, he has to come back deep at times to get the ball. I think if Ronaldo got to play his favoured position, (SS) completely, he'd be scoring more goals than he already is.

The sharing time point is valid. But age is a more valid one. But RVP is leaving the young player stage where all those mistakes were more understanable. He should be maturing by now. Its not as if he doesnt get time. He's also not the only one that had to get used to an awkward position. When Ronaldo first joined us, he was stuck out on the wing, but he isnt a natural winger, especially not a winger for a 442. It wasnt until recently (well this season) that he's gotten a role that he can play effective in. He's still not playing his favoured position.

23. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Van Persie currently is the topscorer at Arsenal and first choice striker for Holland, having scored for his country five times in a row. I should think that's a pretty mature position to be in, no?

24. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Thats impressive, but stats dont tell the entire story. Watching his play for Arsenal you sometimes forget how old he is... sometimes. His game still seems to need a little work.

But believe me, I admire him. I love watching him play. Im always one of the few players on the Man Utd board bigging him up. I know what he's capable of, probably not to your extent you watching him since his Feyenoord days. But I do rate him as a player.

You were comparing techincal ability earlier, and thats how I got into this debate. Techincal ability covers mroe than one specific area or attribute of a players game. I think somone has already said it...

RVP has better shooting techinique than Ronaldo, and its evident when RVP takes his shots, and they hardly ever go WAY over the bar. Ronaldo still has trouble keeping some of his efforts on goal, even though he is improving.

Ronaldo has better techinique running with the ball because running at full speed, he's more likely to keep the ball than RVp atleast imo.

While RVP may have better heading technique, Ronaldo has scored mroe headers than him iirc.

One on one moves, to be honest, RVP seems more convincing, even though Ronaldo's are good as well.

25. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

The only reason for me bigging up Van Persie is that I believe he's not getting the appreciation he deserves outside of Holland, that's all. Anyone who likes football will surely appreciate Van Persie's elegance and skill, a left foot like his is very rare in the international game.