The new cup. Once again, it's crap

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by GIO17, Sep 4, 2002.

1. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because THAT'S THE ORIGINAL CUP! THE ONE WE'VE BEEN WANTING TO SEE HAULED OUT OF THE HALL OF FAME! YAAAAAYY!!!!

My day has been made.

Silly, but true!

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Did anyone just see the Dewar trophy just fall apart?

3. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is like a year late, but let me just say that I think the MLS Cup Alan I. Rothenberg trophy is pretty cool looking.

It's unique to MLS and I like it.

4. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean a bunch of ten dollar bills?

Sounds about right...

I have long given up on any semblance of competency emanating from SoccerHouse in Chicago, so I don't give a damn one way or the other.

5. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh?

6. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was present for display but Conrad picked it up and everyone started passing it about. It's got a little champagne on it this morning. :D

[​IMG]

7. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    I just saw the highlights on FoxWorld Report....

....it would appear that the REAL Dewar was brought forth...

....good on the fed....

....it would also appear that the Ards broke it, the little guy on the
    top was flopping around during the celebration highlights.....

....way to go guys. Now it will go back to Oneonta for 10 more years....

-bs

8. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Actually Sand. The top of the cup was always loose. The top seperates and inside is like a bowl where you can actually fill it with champagne and drink out of the cup. I was so happy to see the Wizards actually pick up the Dewer and lift it high in the air. I know that it was done accidently, but you know what. I don't really care. I think Burciaga Jr. Picked up the Glass Hunt and tried to tell the guys it's this cup they are fighting for.

Still I was very happy to see the Wizards pick up and celebrate with the correct trophy.

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Ha! It did fall apart. Towards the end of the celebration the entire top of the trophy fell off. And on the field nobody seemed to notice.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at RFK last week and unless I was seeing things, they have two different trophies in the case for the 1996 US Open Cup.

The Dewar is the original, and they had that at Arrowhead last night (obviously). They also had the glass candy bowl one out on the field. I didn't see the thing fall apart.

Personally, I don't give a rip what the trophy looks like and can't believe you'd fight through four rounds or whatever and win the thing and be embarassed to hold it up in front of people. Please.

11. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The cup top always comes off. Francis Okaroh wore the top on his head in 1998 after it came off and gave interviews with it still on I think.

12. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a new tradition is born! There will be deep discussions for years to come now on whether a team celebrated properly after winning depending on how soon the man fell off the top of the Dewar.:)

13. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    kenntomasch: When your fire won the first one in 1998 It was the Dewer. When they won in 2002 It was a crap glass cup. The 3rd one in 2003 it was a crap glass cup yet they never lifted the Dewer next to them.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (a) They're not my Fire, even though I do some stuff for them.

(b) There's a shot of Ante hugging the Dewar last year, so I know it was there.

I think the glass bit is the one the team keeps because they don't get to keep the Dewar.

15. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You kuve in Chicago and don't know what the NBA trophy of the Lombardi award looks like?

16. scott tann

scott tann New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    columbus, OH
    Correct.

The team keeps the small cup the USSF is giving out that year and the Dewar Cup gets another tag with date and team attached to its bottom band. Then it goes back to the Soccer Hall of Fame. In that respect, it's different from other cups. The winner doesn't keep the cup and then give it back the next year if they lose the title. They get to hug it a few times and say goodbye.

You probably know this, but the Dewar Cup was donated by Sir Thomas Dewar to the USFA the first year of the competition (1914), weighs 78 lbs (125 lbs in its case), is valued at $250,000, and is on permanent display at the Soccer Hall of Fame.

Not only does the top come off for drinking champagne or to use as a hat - the leg of the soccer player on top was damaged in 1999 when the Rhinos ran around Crew Stadium with it after beating Colorado.

Jack Huckel, from the Hall, toured Kansas City with the Dewar Cup the week before the final. I think they showed it in two or three places. It should be back in Onenonta by now.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Actually the Trophy dates to 1912. It was changed to honor the Amateur soccer champ in 1914.

18. scott tann

scott tann New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    columbus, OH
    Actually, it was a professional tournament in 1914.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    But the cup was purchased - and engraved - to honor the amateur champ

20. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    (A) I apologize for saying you are a Fire Supporter.

(B) Yes Ante Hugged the Dewer, but he never lifted it.

(C) Why should they keep the Glass Cup? The Stanley Cup it's self is shared for an entire off-season by the club who wins it. But of course the club doesn't keep that cup. They get a small replica of the cup. Why can't US Soccer do that? Keep the Dewer in Oneonta. Bring it to the site of the final match. Celebrate the Cup in style and then after winning it US Soccer or the Soccer Hall of Fame gives a small replica for the winning club/defending champion.

So simple yet it looks like stupid people are running the sport.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Are you for real?

The teams get to keep the glass cup. The Dewar Trophy was retired years ago. I don't think anyone else has a problem with this.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone does.

23. scott tann

scott tann New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    columbus, OH
    Which means it was changed to honor the professional tournament winner in 1914.

24. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Andy if it's perminently retired. Then why did they allow the Wizards to lift the Cup? Seriously. I hate a glass Cup to be lifted. If the Dewer is perminantly retired, have it stay in Oneonta and just build a new cup like the Dewer or a different design and have the Lamar Hunt USOC logo on it.