The new cup. Once again, it's crap

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by GIO17, Sep 4, 2002.

1. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Oh Maxim. Before I forget.

1918............Franchino is a wanker......................

And one Super Bowl doesn't equal 26 World Championships.

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    World Soccer Weekly were just talking about this thread and the US Open Cup.
    Dr. Bob might be on their show soon to answer our questions...

Like why don;t we have a big silver cup?
    why is their no promotion and almsot no tv for this tournament?
    And how do they get more teams to enter the tournament?

3. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    stop complaining, and start a collection. 3500 gets a pretty large, fairly attractive silver cup. get various supporters groups to donate money towards the cup fund. 10k should make one hell of a trophy and it will last a lifetime. I got 10 bucks to spare

http://corporate-awards-gifts.com/silver_trophies_cups.htm

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  5. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Hey Voice. You got $3,500 to loan me so I can buy one of those sparkling silver cups.

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    hehe
    good job on the radio mate!

7. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually I do, but I would rather have a large flatscreen tv in my house than a silver cup in your house.
    but I would donate a few bucks to a silver cup runneth over fund.

8. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Now that's what I'm talking about voice. Just click on to the post above me and look at the true US Open Cup.

If US Soccer can't bring that baby back out of retirement then make a trophy or get a trophy that not only represents how wonderful the US Open Cup is, but also to truly represent the man and the stature of such dedication to this sport like Lamar Hunt.

9. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was looking at that picture. yup thats what id Expect. I can tell you guys this much. I could make the wooden base here at my company with left over wood we have. if you people know any silversmiths, make the rest happen!
    It looks like Oak circular bands. not a problem. I would make that rectangular base as Mahogany, and hollow out themiddle to make it a bit lighter.
    how many mini plaques are on that trophy? 50? I mean we could make/commision one to hold another 50 plaques and leave the next generation of trophy up to our grand kids.

10. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Voice now your talking. The only true silversmith that I'm aware of is all the way down in Colonial Williamsburg. But there are probably a few around in New England or in my area in Northern NJ. Maybe Westchester in NY.

Maybe we should try and draw the cup and present it to US Soccer. Because it really has to look not like the Stanley Cup but maybe something in a smaller size of some sort.

Don't forget in the middle there must be a color shield of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup. Like the Champions League Euro Cup has.

11. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    1. When's the last time the Jets won a superbowl, or the Giants.

2. 2001...

3. "Franchino is a wanker" has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen written on these boards. You're a Yankee fan, and a Euro-snob. Sounds to me you could just be summed up as Glory Hunter.

12. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Maxim. Typical Boston fan. You guys are too slow to react. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 2001 like that was a real comebacker. Let's see the Red Sox didn't beat the Yankees in that Playoff run.

Maybe the Jets haven't been back to the Super Bowl since the 3rd one but it didn't take them three chances to win it.

I saw your precious Ben Affleck film about your Red Sox. I had a great laugh about the Giant Boston Cry Fest.

Oh and don't worry Metro will take care of your Revs on the final two days of the season.

13. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know there is a trophy maker guy in Westchester. either there on extreme upper Bronx. I drove my x up there to pick up a giant gavel for the Fordham Debate Tournament. I really dont remember where it was, not do i remember if they did work in silver.

I actually have a good friend that is a jewler and works with silver all the time, but these are totally different things.

one difference I would like from the D Cup is that the soccer ball would be a latice that makes up the soccer ball shape and pattern. not a solid globe.

I think this is something that the MLS cup should do also. that thing is horrific too.

looking closer. the trophy ends with the circular wood bands. The square base is from the hall of fame. I think I would include a square base though. it looks more complete. well whatever. as soon as someone has a silver smith and a design i will start rounding off Oak.

14. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason New Member

Dec 11, 1998
    ??? Where did you come from?

The original V.O.R.

15. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    To the Original V.O.R. You have a clone. :D

Or maybe a younger brother.

16. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Re: This Cup?

I have been in the presence of that thing a few times, and goddammit it's the coolest thing ever. It's what we dream about. Every winner is on there going back to 1914.

If a bunch of Canadian occupational school drop-outs can ice skate around with the Stanley Cup every year, the Dewar trophy should be able to make the rounds.

Dammit - this is EXACTLY what we need to be promoting. Elegant shining proof of our heritage, writ large.

17. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    If US Soccer will allow us fans to draw a design to make a cup and they pick it out, that will be wonderful. But I wouldn't mind seeing the Dewer Trophy come back out of retirement.

You know if they do make a new cup then there has to be at least a color logo of the US Open Cup logo. Remember if Lamar Hunt's name was dedicated to this wonderful tournament then a true silver trophy must be shown towards the same dedication from US Soccer.

18. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Cool, Im a clone.

I actually started using this name some years ago on a Houston Rockets fan page. It came from my frustration with people on that fan board having no clue what they were talking about in regards to one particular player. I made most of my origonal posts in a kind of all knowing kind of way, but well thats annoying to read, so I eventually just let the voice of reason fade into a name i use rather than a description of my posts.

I actually used to be called the voice of reason back in HS government and politics class too. I guess my teacher or someone agreed with my opinions back then. so this is where i got the name from.

I joined here like a year ago or something.

I also post on the Rochester Raging Rhinos board, and there is a poster there with your moniker. he joined after i did, and he is annoying since he does not care for soccer and is basicly a troll.

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I hope Dr. Bob's secretary reads this thread...

20. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on. In US professional sports, the only cool cup is Lord Stanley's (and that is technically a Canadian import, like Celine Dione).

The World Series Trophy is silly and I have no clue what the NBA World Championship or Super Bowl trophy looks like.

I think the US Open tennis trophy is glass (but I could be wrong) and if you win the Masters, you get a bad looking sport's coat.

21. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    There seems to be a rash of bad trophies in soccer; the MLS Cup, whatever US Open Cup they're awarding. And of course, the worst trophy in professional sports: the World Cup Trophy.

22. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    The Atlantic Cup is rather dynamo :)

[​IMG]

23. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I dunno...
    [​IMG]
    Looks pretty good to me.

[​IMG]

GO FIRE!!!

24. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the open cup would look a lot better with mia hamm licking the side of it...