The new Aris-tocracy: Adu in Greece

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Reignking, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Ok just checked, looks like he's started 3 out of the past 5.

2. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Maybe it speaks about how Coaches like to use their Subs, when they have them..................................(gasp.)

3. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

3 out of the last 5? That looks like playing to me.

4. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or we could try something approaching accuracy

4/28 - 90 min
    4/24 - ~10 min
    4/18 - DNP
    4/11 - 90 min
    3/28 - 90 min

1 person likes this.
  5. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    For anyone that says Adu isn't getting any PT, you must have been in a coma the past couple of months.

Is Adu STARTING for his club? NO

Is Adu playing REGULARLY for his club? YES

6. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I mean, he is starting very often.

7. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are his stats (starts/minutes/games) for the season? I suspect if you look at those numbers, they will support those of us who point out that he's seen occasional action over the course of the season. With that being said, 3 starts in 5 is good progress, and let's hope that it continues. I genuinely do want to see Freddy become the player we all hoped he would become 5 or 6 years ago. But don't blame those of us who've been following him since his MLS days for wanting to see a bit more than a good game or two before getting excited and calling for his inclusion on the WC squad.

8. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

If this was anybody else but Adu, there would be a BS explosion that a 20-year old American was a Huge part in taking down one of the biggest teams in Greece with an assist and a PK drawn in a Play-off game for a Champions league spot.

Every single regular US player knows that when Adu is on-form he is dangerous to play with. This isent really about WC inclusion but about more about a May camp invite to see where he is at. The play-offs end about a day before the camp starts. We will see what happens.............

9. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say there was a BS explosion in reaction to his performance yesterday. And guess what, Freddy's past history plays a role in how people react to his play. Like I said before, we've seen false dawns from Freddy before so a lot of people want to see more from him than just one great game. Again, I thought he looked good yesterday and hope that it was a sign of good things to come.

10. Beautiful Game 2010

Jul 11, 2006
    Western Hemisphere
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think that this is the bottom line. Adu is a creative player who creates space. The USA player pool is almost completely lacking in such players (apart from Adu, I think that only Dempsey truly fits that description). The USA NT is crying out for a player of Adu's skill set, regardless of how Adu stacks up against various other players in the USA pool who have different skill sets.

As an example, other than Dempsey, I don't see any other player in the USA pool drawing that penalty against Olympiacos yesterday. A play like that can win you a game (or a point) in the WC.

11. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Here are some facts:

Freddy got there in January. He was subbed into his first game on 1/31. So including 1/31, he's played in 9 of 16 games. Since the first game he played it's been:

subbed in
    start
    start
    start
    start

DNP
    DNP
    DNP
    DNDress
    DNP
    DNP

start
    start
    DNP
    subbed in
    start

I didn't include any details above, obviously, like being subbed out, opponent, score, competition, etc, but not taking into account any overtime, Freddy has played 43% of Aris' total minutes beginning with his first game on 1/31. Two goals and two assists.

In the last five games, he's played 62% of Aris' minutes.

1 person likes this.
  12. CDM76

CDM76 Member+

May 9, 2006
    Socal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I only got to see the highlights but based on what I've read from those who've seen Freddy's progress first hand, this is what makes me so pleased to see he's working with Cuper in Aris.

Holden certainly can play either wing or as an attacking center mid but I agreed that Freddy has become a much more versatile (and therefore intriguing) player in terms of improved understanding of the role of the modern wide attacking mid under Cuper.

I don't put Clint on quite so tall a pedestal but I agree that considering our primary goal scoring threats are Jozy (still so young) and Charlie (assuming a practically miraculous healing) having an almost-in-form Freddy (want to see 2 or 3 more good outing with Aris) on the bench as a late game attacking sub seems probable.

Again, many thanks to our Greek friends for their support of Freddy and Eddie.

For me, this has been similar to Landon's time with Everton. I've so greatly enjoyed sharing the passion of the Aris supporters as they watch our American boys give their all for the shirt and gain from excellent coaching, teammates and atmosphere.

2 people repped this.
  13. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Agreed, and I really like Holden, he's looking pretty good so far for both club and country.

Holden, along with Bedoya is your typical traditional wingers. They are workhorses with a great moto. Their primary job is to defend the flanks and racing down the sidelines to send in crosses, after crosses.

Adu, as you've already mentioned is the modern day winger/forward that cuts inside and attack the box. This is where he shines. Adu can't play the same type of game that a Holden or Bedoya does.

So, it really comes down to what types of game/formation you want to play and this will ultimately decide Adu's faith for SA.

In all honesty, I would love to see LD, Demp, Jozy, and Adu on the field for a full 90. That's probably the collection of our most lethal attackers.

14. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    +100

Watching our boys through the eyes of local fans is one the best things about BS.

1 person likes this.
  15. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    You forgot Davies. Can we get those 5 on at once? I'd like to see it.

16. Who is this guy?

Dec 13, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I second this sentiment

17. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    davies' story has been amazing. but i think it's almost certain that davies going to have to wait for 2014.

18. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Maybe so, but I thought we were fantasizing. :D

19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    OK. Why haven't there been 200 posts since yesterday in the Eddie Johnson thread?

1 person likes this.
  20. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Holden and Adu are both better in the middle where they can be involved in creation of plays. Holden is a better defender than Freddy although I suspect Freddy is improving with Aris. Neither are particularly good wingers but play there out of need.

I am not sure who has better speed. I suspect Holden.

I suspect Freddy is more creative. Holden on the other hand works harder.

In the Bradley scheme of things the player who has a better defensive posture would probably get the nod.

21. ARIS_SUPER3

ARIS_SUPER3 New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    :eek:

tell your english friends that 2 years ago ARIS was winning 0-1 bolton in england...and they made it 1-1 the last minute....

because i saw you were talking about bolton few pages before..:rolleyes:

and now we have much better team than then..and better coach.

In addition, if you want to talk about now , we are in top-5 and we
    are fighting for ch.l.

and if you want to talk about the last 4 years our
    ranking are 4th-4th-6th and this year we will see....

and if you want to talk about all history of greek football
    we are 4th...

ps.sorry for that but i was pissed off:D

22. Beautiful Game 2010

Jul 11, 2006
    Western Hemisphere
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You have a right to be. There is a definite "rose colored glasses" situation around here with regard to the quality of English football. Several EPL teams would get their @sses handed to them on a regular basis if they played in other supposedly "lesser" leagues (such as the Greek league, the Portuguese league, etc.).

23. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if I offended (however you must have me confused with someone else as I haven't said anything about Bolton on this or any thread). With that being said, my obvious point was that 5 or 6 years ago Freddy Adu was being called the next Pele, and soccer fans all over the world were hearing about how he was going to be a great player. After hearing all that hype, people are a bit surprised (and amused) to find that he's playing in the Greek league (which is certainly a fine league, but not one of the top ten in Europe) and not for one of the best known teams in that league.

24. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Sorry to interfere but Superleague is surely in the top 10 of European leagues.
    Actually after EPL, La liga, Campionato, Budesliga, French league, i m trying to find something better. I dont think Scotland and Netherlands have better leagues.

25. ARIS_SUPER3

ARIS_SUPER3 New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    i get that;)

i just talking about the midtable greek team ,that you said..;)

of course Adu was expected to play in bigger leagues,such as
    EPL or so..

but he is young yet..he has time to do it...
    i am pretty sure that he wil be great from now on...
    especially the next season..

ps.the bolton thing wasnt about you..thats
    why i said you WERE talking:p