1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So Pelova, although U-20, did make it. She's the youngest member, I suppose.

2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Kop also was a U-20 last Summer. No real surprise and their starting 11 is very settled, except maybe in defense but the front 6 is well known.

blissett repped this.
  3. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    yes, she is pretty talented but hurt her shoulder during the Algarve Cup. Not sure what her status is as she didn't play in the last two friendlies. She's a next-cycle player. I don't think she'll play any in France.

Centerback Van der Gragt is also on the squad, which I was happy to see even though she's been hurt constantly and hardly on the pitch for a long time. I believe she had a knee injury, was out most of last year, finally seemed healthy again and was starting to play a bit for Barcelona, then started the first match in the Algarve Cup for the Dutch--but then there was some sort of leg problem and she was sent home and did not play in just concluded friendlies. Her injury woes have really compromised the Dutch WC chances, I think: A very talented attacking team but without Van der Gragt either Dekker or Van Dongen will have to play well and I can't say I have a huge confidence in either when time comes to play a big opponent. We shall see!

blissett and kolabear repped this.
  4. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I think Jill Roord should consider moving to another club team next year, or soon, which will offer her more playing time. She's at a stage in her career when she should be playing more; instead, she's on the end of the bench, most games, for Bayern Munich. I think the only minutes she gets are against weak league teams or late in games that BM is winning comfortably. I know it's hard to leave a wealthy organization with excellent facilities and other assorted perks, but she needs to play. She might be better off trying to hook up with an English WSL team--perhaps Manchester United, which is on the come and going to spending money on better players in the next couple of years, for sure, or a second-tier team like Everton.

Van de Sanden might do the same. She seems to play semi-regularly for Lyon as a late-game sub, but is certainly good enough to start for a lot of quality squads. And Beerensteyn is another: She plays lots more for Bayern than Roord, but like her Dutch compatriots, she does not seem to be a starter. Too much sitting is never good--and Beerensteyn, like Roord, is young.

sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I guess it's a strategy by OL's coach: he uses Van de Sanden as a sort of secreat-weapon, a super-sub that can be devastating in the late game, when the opponents are tired (as seen in last year Champions' League final vs Wolfsburg).

But you're right that she would deserve to play as a starter in most teams. OL is such an "All Star Team" that even player who are among the best in the world are rotated in and out and sit on the bench for long stints.

6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #56 hotjam2, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    ;
    I've read uncomfirmed post that Jill Roord might just leave BM for one of the big clubs in England. BM is having a coaching change over the summer, so we don't know as of yet if maybe prefers Rood's style(more athletic over technique) & overs her a better contract/more playing(as quite a few of BM's players are leaving this season). So hold on tight for now to see what Rood's future might hold.

PS decent game for Lieke Martens in the Champion's League for Barca with their 1-0 win over BM; she should of been awarded a pk in one play, but didnt get it. Roord & Bereensteyn only came in as subs but couldn't contribute much as BM started to loose composure as they plyed catch up

not so good for van de Sanden, as she lost her starting spot at Lyon to the rising star, Cacarino(of France)

7. Mojo Jambo

Mojo Jambo Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little peeved that van de Donk did not make the PFA XI

Reign Man and sbahnhof repped this.
  8. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Absolutely! She's been great all year--and 10 or 11 goals to go with her excellent attacking play. Major oversight. Fara Williams said she voted for Van de Donk for Player of the Year but she didn't even make the short list--which was ANOTHER oversight.

I saw highlights of the Arsenal-Everton match and Van de Donk was furious at a bad foul on Mead, who was lucky not to have been seriously hurt. Van de Donk came charging up, yelling, and pushed the referee in the shoulder, I assume she was demanding a red card. She should not have pushed the referee. Van de Donk got a yellow card for her protest (the offending Everton player only got a yellow), but was lucky not to have been given a red-card. I don't want to see the women's game become like the men's game--with a pack of players practically attacking the referee after certain plays or calls.

sbahnhof and CoachJon repped this.
  9. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Roord is definitely leaving Bayern Munchen

Lechus7 repped this.
  10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    L'orange@; got to watch this game, Leike Martens was on fire! especially in the first half. Play like that in the WC, I can see the Orange go far

11. Miedema "Player of the Year" in England.
    Who's that guy next to her?:D
    [​IMG]
    Vivianne Miedema en Virgil van Dijk, de beste voetbalster en voetballer van dit seizoen in Engeland. © BSR Agency
    Van Dijk en Miedema verkozen tot Speler van het Jaar in Engeland

sbahnhof and kolabear repped this.
  12. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Happy for Miedema--she's had a fantastic year and, while I'm biased, I rate her the best center forward in the game right now. Very technical, excellent finishing skills and can whelp the ball with both feet. She's very intelligent and a wonderful passer as well. She scored and had an assist today--both impressive.

As for Roord: Just as I say that she should leave Bayner Munich, she was inserted in the 58" minute today against Barcelona and I thought played pretty well. She had three shots, one of which was a free kick from just outside the 18-yard box that she unfortunately hit over the bar, but not by much.

What's weird is that Beerensteyn did not play in either match against Barca, and I'm wondering if she has a knock of some kind, because she usually gets minutes and certainly would have been someone to come on in the second half to give the BM attack some ooomph--but it didn't happen. Not sure why.

I though Martens played well today for Barca against BM. She created the opportunity that led to a BM penalty call against her mark, and that in turn resulted in the game's only goal. She also made good decisions with the ball and had some nice passes. I'd like to see her to attack the goal a bit more aggressively at times--but aggressive attacking is not something Barcelona likes to do unless there is an obvious opening. They possess, go forward a bit, pull the ball back and possess a bit longer. It's a style that works--they're in the Champions League final--but it's hard for any team (that is not the Barca men) to turn possession into quality chances when the opponent as at least 7/8 players behind the ball.

sbahnhof and kolabear repped this.
  13. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been looking for a video clip of the foul but the only ones I've found are blocked in America.

14. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The word on the street is the Everton coach told his player at half-time to take out the best Arsenal player of the game.
    Hence that over the top tackle. Van De Donk and Mead are very close hence the over-reaction. The referee was too lenient as well.
    https://www.facebook.com/180805138628010/posts/2625386154169884/

Reign Man, sbahnhof and kolabear repped this.
  15. dyzio03

dyzio03 New Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 17, 2018
  16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    nice pic of Lieke Martens consoling Jill Roord after their tough Champions Leaue game won by Marten's Barca over Bayern Munich
    gettyimages-1139843612-1024x1024.jpg

L'orange and blissett repped this.
  17. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tackle on Mead is just after 1:55 on this video. Unbelievable this isn't a red card

blissett repped this.
  18. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Mead was very lucky not to have been seriously hurt and knocked out of the World Cup. That should have been a red, for sure.

Roord played fairly well for Bayern, but couldn't convert her free kick from just outside the box. Ji Son-Yu had the extact same kick for Chelsea and knocked it in.

I wonder if Van der Gragt will stay with Barcelona, or Barcelona stay with her. She finally seems healthy again but, like Roord and Beerensteyn and Van de Sanden, is not starting. If you are a centerback and not starting, you are not going to be subbed in or play much. You will play occasionally against lesser league teams but that's about it. Man U could pick up two or three of this group and immediately be competitive with the top three teams in the FAWSL!

kolabear and blissett repped this.
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If Everton coach ever did that he's a disgraceful person and I wouldn't ever want to see him coach in women's football. :devilish:

One thing is certain: that foul was deliberate and it was a straight red if there ever was one. And a referee allowing a player to get away with such a nasty tackle is a partner in crime and should re-consider refereeing again: players, especially good technical ones, need to be protected. I am no more surprised that Arsenal had so many injuries this season if in this league coaches can get away with instructing their players to take down an opponent.

kolabear repped this.
  20. It's the MO of English refs. Do you remember how the Totally Hotshit player Delli something kicked de Bruyne almost invalid and the fecking ref didnot even reach for his yellow card pocket. Those English refs are the worst on the planert...or corrupt.

21. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Wow: I just saw where both Dominque Bloodworth and Van Veenendaal are leaving Arsenal. As an Arsenal fan, that is disappointing. I think Bloodworth is one of the most versatile and underrated players in the game--not flashy but does a lot of things well and has been playing three positions this year--centerback for The Netherlands NT and both outside back and midfield (mostly) for Arsenal. I wonder what prompted her switch? Wolfsburg is very good, of course, but I have to think Bloodworth was happy at Arsenal as the team is good, everybody seems to absolutely love the coach and the Women's Super League is better than the Bundesliga. And with three other Dutch women on the team, the comfort level must have been high. I'm not sure if her contract was up--I think it must have been and either Arsenal felt like she might not be a starter next year or maybe Bloodworth feels like she can play more in the midfield, which I think is her favorite position, with the German squad. I don't know.

At the same time, Arsenal did not offer to extend Van Veenendaal's contract, which is expiring, and so I'm not sure where she'll be playing next year.

sbahnhof repped this.
  22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Bloodworth previously played with SGS Essen. Wolfsburg plays a standard 4-4-2. Their loosing two major starters in winger, Hansen & CB Fisher, but their signing a bunch allready, German NT's Huth & Rauch, Swedish NT, Rolfo. The coach seems to not switch lineups often(even against the weakest opponents, so Bloodworth will have to impress early on if she wants to see playing time

23. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Arseblog have interviewed the Arsenal manager and apparently he was seeing Dom as a defender primarily and she prefers to play in midfield.

Where the three starters if all fit are : Wälti Nobbs and Little. With Roord and Van De Donk as well, she could have neen sixth choice in midfield next season.

Very harsh for Van Veenendaal not to get offered a new deal. From number 1 goalie to released in one season.

sbahnhof repped this.
  24. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Is Roord moving to Arsenal? I've not seen anything on that--and it would be an odd move since she wants to start, I'm sure, and she's not going to start at Arsenal just as she didn't start at Bayern Munich. (Maybe she should have, can't say, but she didn't.) She needs to join a decent/above average team where she can play more.

I have read that Bloodworth prefers to play midfield--and it will be interesting to see if she starts for Wolfsburg, which has a big roster. Bloodworth is a valuable asset to any team as she has some size, is athletic and durable--and she can capably play three positions.

25. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Here is the announcement by Wolfsburg FC on the signing of Bloodworth. She is getting a three-year deal from the She-Wolves--until June of 2022. That is some nice security--and probably more term (years) than Arsenal was prepared to offer Bloodworth, and she may be getting more money from Wolfsburg as well. I'm quite curious to know what Wolfsburg has agreed to pay her (or any other players on the squad) and to know what other prominent clubs are paying for players, as I don't know. I mean, are Wolfsburg and Lyon paying more for players than other clubs? Why else would Bloodworth leave Arsenal--the Wolfsburg contract has be better than anything Arsenal offered--IF Arsenal even offered her a new contract. It may not have. I think Arsenal will regret letting Bloodworth leave as she can do a lot--but it's also true that all these clubs lose money on their women's teams, and have budgets, and so they have to make some tough decisions.

Another example is Nikita Parris leaving ManCity for Lyon. ManCity is a big, successful club with a lot of money, and so I am surprised that it didn't do enough to keep its most valuable player. There is a certain cachet attached to playing for Lyon these days, I realize--but that club must all have a bigger budget than nearly everyone else. In any case, it's nice to see players rewarded.

https://www.vfl-wolfsburg.de/en/news-detail/news-detail/detail/news/she-wolves-sign-bloodworth/

blissett repped this.