The Netherlands 2017 - Wij Zijn Kampioen!

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by blissett, Aug 11, 2017.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #1 blissett, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    I am a Nadeshiko Japan fan at heart, so it feels strange to me to start a thread about the Netherlands' women's football team. :cautious:

It felt quite equally strange to me, though, that the Euro Champion team didn't have a dedicated thread on this boards. Ok, probably there are not enough Holland supporters posting here to justify it, but it seemed odd anyway, since most women's National Teams have an official or unofficial thread, especially if they're "important" ones.

Finally, all of Oranje-related stuff was clogging the "WEURO17 - Final Match thread" so it looked like a good thing to open another thread. :D

Will it be successful? Not sure: here on the women's section of BigSoccer, threads only thrive if some people lovingly take care of them (see @gricio61 with the Women's League in Italy or @Bauser with The Norway thread) and I won't be here to do that, since I'll be mostly busy with Nadeshiko Japan's thread.
    Anyway, I want to give this thread a chance: maybe some guys, as @Brilliant Dutch, @matu, @Frysk Bloed or some others will want to post something from time to time, and this place will live; otherwise, it will end with the other forgotten threads of this forum. :p

gricio61, Orange14 and Gilmoy repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    To inaugurate this thread...

YouTuber Sinedd is celebrating Netherlands' victory with a series of excellent highlights-videos dedicated to single players. I want to especially underline:

- Kika Van Es: I recently discocered that this DF came back from a double leg-fracture she suffered in 2015. Respect! :notworthy: She wasn't the most elegant Dutch player at Euro 2017 and she was rather awkward instead, at times (see the PK she caused in the final), but she sure is a fighter:

- Jackie Groenen: hands down my favourite Dutch player at Euro 2017. :geek: If you pay attention, she was involved in most of the key actions of this tournament:

- Lieke Martens: her highlights video from about two weeks ago has been updated with footage from the final match! :thumbsup:

Speaking about Lieke: here's a funny video from 4 years ago where she partners with a Free-Style guy. :laugh:

CoachJon, kolabear and gricio61 repped this.
  3. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Thanks for starting the Dutch thread. I'm looking forward to the upcoming WC qualifiers. It's likely that the men's NT will crash out so our hopes will be on the ladies!!

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wanted to repost here this video of a prime-time broadcast on Dutch-TV, featuring all of the Netherlands winning team, that I had posted on the WEURO2017 - Final Match - Netherlands vs Denmark thread.

The reason is that, since there could be a good number of Dutch native-speakers posting here and I don't know a single word of Dutch, I would be happy if someone could translate for me the funniest or most significant parts of these interviews. I am aware that it's an one-hour-long broadcast, but if there was anything standing up in particular, I would like to know.
    The only part I understood is when Shanice Van de Sanden is asked if she's sponsored by some lipstick brand (and she can't even properly answer 'cause she's hoarse!). :laugh:

gricio61 and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I've had a couple of drinks tonight, but I'll try to to pick out some funny parts for you

blissett repped this.
  8. The next generation is coming, the Young Lionesses qualified for the U19 World cup:
    http://www.ad.nl/nederlands-voetbal...en-zich-voor-de-eerste-keer-voor-wk~ac83ef9d/
    Jonge Leeuwinnen plaatsen zich voor de eerste keer voor WK

De vrouwen onder 19 hebben geschiedenis geschreven door zich voor de eerste keer te plaatsen voor een WK. Dat deden ze door op het EK de halve finale te bereiken na een 2-0 overwinning tegen Engeland.

kolabear, gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  9. The English women sure are going to develop an intense dislike for the Orange lionesses;)

10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, Dutch women's football movement is growing overall! :eek: Obviously Senior Team's Euro 2017 win wasn't just a case

11. Maybe they suddenly are in a hurry to be able to show the "finger" to the Orange lions by being the first Orange soccer team to bring home the World Cup:D

Orange14 repped this.
  12. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    i hate that we are in the same qualifier group with the Dutch ):

blissett repped this.
  13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Why am I not surprised???:D

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  14. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course there's a downside to this success on the pitch. Netherlands' dominance in women's field hockey will probably come to an end as more young girls are drawn to football / soccer.
    :)

gricio61 repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wasn't even aware they were strong in hockey. :p

16. Simply the colour of the outfit was already intimidating.
    I'm not worried about the hockey womens team. Also the men were serial world and olympic champions gold medal winners too, even with the majority of the kids going for football.

gricio61 and kolabear repped this.
  17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    well look at Australia(pop. 24 mil) they're great in woso, but their #1 female sport is something called netball(basketball without a back board), where they are the world champs. Yet still are in the world's top ten in basketball. softball, rugby & obviously Australian football

gricio61 and kolabear repped this.
  18. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Netherlands and speed skating tho... not even funny to watch sometimes lol. Last olympics their speed skaters won more than Germany lol. Germany didn't have a good olympics tho

kolabear repped this.
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  20. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Our ladies field-hockey team is considered the strongest in the world

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  21. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Good stuff. I didn't quite realize how good Groenen is until watching those highlights. She is tenacious. It is a talented group up front for The Netherlands.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  22. Have you any idea how sexy they looked?
    Hockeydames zeiden meteen 'ja' tegen sexy fotoshoot
    [​IMG]

gricio61 repped this.
  23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It looks like the new trend of this week is celebrations for single players in their home-towns. :giggle:

See Lieke Martens:

Vivianne Miedema (featuring interview to cute little fan! :p):

Shanice Van de Sanden:

Kika Van Es:

Meanwhile the Jinek video from some days ago has been tore down, but it's been uploaded again elsewhere: no-one has translated for me any funny line said by players or coaches yet, though... :unsure: I am not asking for the whole dialogues, just some excerpts. Or there is actually nothing interesting in it? :cautious:

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #24 blissett, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    I can't wait to see Groenen play in Frankfurt next season. Something didn't click for them in 2016-2017, but I've got the feeling that Kumi Yokoyama could be the missing piece for a dream-like attack line. The Japanese striker along with Mandy Islacker, both fed by Jackie Groenen, could make for an incredible amount of goals. :)

Edit: i found this new video, giving maybe even a better idea of how key Jackie Groenen was to Netherlands' team at this Euro. Maybe the only area where she still needs improvement is shooting.

By the way, the title of this new YouTube channel, DutchSoccerWomans, looks interesting (despite the grammar mistake in English! :p)

gricio61 repped this.
  25. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    More appreciation for Jackie Groenen as she's compared to Iniesta on a US website.