The Nani Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by JuveleoRules, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Anyways...

2. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nani's skill is outrageous.

Check this recent compilation of him.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj4ECl6Gs90&feature=rec-fresh+div-r-2-HM"]YouTube- Nani 2009-2010 Next Ronaldo?[/ame]

3. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Top Ten Goals By Nani the Sparkplug

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0EJytUHPZc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0EJytUHPZc[/ame]

4. Força_Portugal

Jun 10, 2009
    Tri-State Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nani was sent off with a straight red today against aston villa in the first half. Will miss next three games.

5. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Bad move on his part. Will miss 3 games when he is playing his best. Hopefully his form will remain the same.

6. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Unbelievable. He was playing well too from what I heard. I never understand why players go in with 2-foot lunges. Stupid.

7. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah he got the ball, and kept his feet low, but the 2 foot lunge is what got him sent off. Its going to hurt him again I think. He was holding his spot....now it seems he is going to need to work his way back again...:mad:

8. Tyson525

Tyson525 New Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    IMO a yellow card and a talking too would have been enough. The straight red was harsh, but I can see why it was given. Still ref was a little bit of an idiot to be honest. If Nani's challenge was a red then Luke Young's lunge on Valencia from behind later on in the match should have been a yellow. But Mr Ref Man left his cards in the dressing room at half time.

9. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Agreed 100%. Nani's challenge was NOT deserving of a red. But then again, he had a dumb tackle on Ashley Young earlier in the game

10. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    I finally saw the tackle.

Nani had no intention to cause a foul, let alone hurt somebody. I'm pretty sure everybody agrees (though Petrov really "sold" the foul). In fact, Nani actually won the ball!

It doesn't matter though - ref. was just following the rules. Anytime a player leaves both feet, studs up onto a tackle like that he's going to get a red. The reason is simple and fair - that's one of the most dangerous tackles in soccer; I don't want to post links to some of the carnage that occurs when there's a leg at the end of this type of challenge.

Any case, simple call - Nani made a mistake, no maliciousness intended, and got his red + suspension. Notch it up as a learning experience - DON'T FU&**G DO THAT AT THE WC. It's good for us. Similar to Ronnie's red - you learned your lesson - mind your elbows...

And, for once, I don't think this will be a big deal with Fergie. Ferguson would be much more upset by lack of effort or dissent. This was just a stupid foul by an inexperienced player trying too hard; he never minds hard effort - after all, Scholes has played his whole career at MU and he's one of the most reckless tacklers you'll see.

Nani had started something like 5-6 games in a row, in just a few weeks and the team was on fire. He leaves the game and MU never scores again. His confidence and his groove won't disappear overnight this time. He'll keep practicing with the team (he's not injured, unlike before), stay in shape and get his spot back when the time comes. In fact, he might get a chance to play a much bigger game for the CL if I am not mistaken.

So, really, no biggie.

11. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well correct me if I am wrong, but this suspension only stops him from playing in the EPL. The CL games are unaffected by his behavior correct?

12. Viva Portugal

Viva Portugal Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Toronto - GTA
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I really hope not. He could b a key player for Portugal in this WC.

13. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Before, I wanted him opposite to Ronaldo because of the "potential" that he had to blow open a game, now, over the past 5 games. I want him opposite to Ronaldo because its no longer "potential" its happening on a consistent basis.

14. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Behavior?! You mean tackle. You momentarily confused him with Ronaldo? Terry?! ;-)

And, yeah, the Red card means suspension in England only.

15. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nani needs to maintain this form, he has 3 games to rest up and refocus. He will undoubtedly play vs Milan so we'll see what effect the sending off has had.

But if he can come out vs Ivory Coast like this so much pressure will be lifted off Ronaldo that maybe he can finally show his club form on the Nationald team. He hasn't had that opportunity since Figo was on the team.

16. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Exactly right.

17. Tyson525

Tyson525 New Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm expecting to play against Milan, hope he can keep his recent form going. The thing with Nani that makes me admire his little curly head most though, is that no matter how consistent/inconsistent or how good/bad he may have been in his Manchester United career he nearly always comes up with one moment of brilliance that can potentially change a match.

Even playing for his country - though I don't see many Portugal games they've suddenly started showing them a lot more here - like against Denmark last year (sorry I can't remember when) but Portugal were down 1-0 and Nani came on as a sub around the 80 minute mark or something like that and Portugal got a corner and he put in a wonderful ball to give Leidson(sp?) I think it was a free header and suddenly the games 1-1. But he is an incredible player when he wants to be, his match against Arsenal was just :eek:

Nobody will ever know how happy it made me to have the British and Irish media that once slated him suddenly have to eat their words :D

18. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Thats our sentiment as well. He has been doing this for the Seleccao for some time now. Against Bosnia he sent in the 2 balls that got us the goals for both games. He is that deal breaker for me, and I think he should be opposite side of Ronaldo now. His time has come.

Same with me. Although they tend to bash anything Portuguese over there times 10. I still don't understand exactly why, but everything we do gets criticized outright. It was the same with Ronaldo. I remember pundit after pundit saying Ronaldo 20 - 20 season was a fluke, and he would never succeed in a big game or possibly win a CL. Then he absolutely tears the EPL apart with 40 goals and wins everything possible.

Look at this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-09BAIS-e_s"]YouTube- Dunphy on Ronaldo (vs CL Barca 24-04-08)[/ame]

Disgraceful? These guys are a joke.

19. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
  20. Tyson525

Tyson525 New Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    You know what's disgusting about that video? That's Eamon Dunphy and he's an Irish pundit and it makes my skin crawl to think his views are broadcast to the world with the Irish in mind. I'm Irish 100% and I can't stand the sight of him nor do I agree with any of his views. His trash talking of Ronaldo - though I'm not a Ronaldo fan myself - was completely uncalled for. But he says the same things about Nani except when it came to his game against Arsenal he had to openly admit in his column in a national newspaper (yes, they gave him one) that he never rated Nani but thought he did well. Broke his arse to say that, I'm convinced.

But your right about the media over here hating on Portuguese x10, unfortunately. But, please don't think it the view of the general public. Like I said, I'm Irish 100% and thanks to one Mr Henry and his hand of frog, I have no Ireland to support in the WC this year. I'm actually supporting Portugal for South Africa. You've probably noticed that I'm a little bit of a Nani lover. And because of him I started watching Portugal play - I was switching between their play-off with Bosnia and Ireland's play-off with France, what a day for Sky+ to go!

21. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't think its the view of the general public, but I do understand that media does influence and reflect the view points of many in a particular country/area. Maybe its just the vast differences in our culture and the way we look to play the beautiful game.

Regardless, I was doing the same thing during the playoff, switching between both games. It was shocking to watch the France goal. I wanted them eliminated. Its nice to see a neutral support Portugal from Europe. Usually we just get the central american countries when Brasil is eliminated or not participating..lol

I hope you enjoy your stay in our forums, and please feel free to post often!

22. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    He can only be one of us if he eats a francesinha, cozido à portuguesa or bacalhau.

23. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I wish I could keep clicking the positive rep button on this post...

24. Tyson525

Tyson525 New Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Will do, thanks:D

25. Tyson525

Tyson525 New Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    She. The names a throw off, sorry. Tyson's my dog's name, I'm not that creative so it's all I could come up with:p