The MVBM Movie/TV Quiz

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by jmh30, Jul 25, 2002.

1. B1

B1 Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    29. Ryan Stiles
    33. Bill Cosby
    34. Elizabeth Taylor

I'll soon need to got and do some work, make it look like there was a least some reason for me to show up today.

2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    33. Bill Cosby or Jodi Foster?

34. :D Next to they are male or female this still leaves about 75% of all actors as potential answers.

3. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GringoTex's answer of Lou Diamond Phillips is correct. His first wife, in fact, left him for Melissa Etheridge. He's drawn flak for portraying Native American characters in movies when he's only 1/8 Cherokee.

Carrey, Burton, Stiles, Taylor, and Cosby are incorrect.

Standings:
    GringoTex 70
    B1 20
    DoctorJones24 18
    CosmosRIP 17
    Alberto 16
    Obie 15
    Noah Elliott 12

Quotes still on the table:

9. "I'm not going to say any more than I have to, if that." (Mobster goes Hollywood, satire with all-star cast) (Correctly identified as Get Shorty, still need actor and character.)
    25. "I'd give real money if he'd shut up." (Alien quotes Shakespeare, part of a sci-fi series)

Who Am I? still on the table:

29. I'm tall. I graduated from USC with a degree in Sports Information. I do impressions. Those impressions include George W. Bush and Alex Trebek. (4 points)
    31. I started losing my hair at the age of 16. I went to high school in Livingston, NJ. My name at the time was Jay Greenspan. I apologize for "Bob Patterson". (4 points)
    33. I’m one of the few actors with an honorary doctorate who actually attended the university from which I received the honorary degree. When I was 11, I was mauled by a lion after a day of filming. (8 points)
    34. I've been married more than once. I love cars. (8 points)
    35. I performed in the closing ceremonies of the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. (10 points)
    36. I was a stage actor before I started doing television. (10 points)
    37. I almost starred in "The Brady Bunch". (10 points)

4. B1

B1 Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    29. Will Ferrell
    31. Jason Alexander
    34. Jay Leno

5. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Ferrell and Jason Alexander are correct. Leno is not.

Standings:
    GringoTex 70
    B1 28
    DoctorJones24 18
    CosmosRIP 17
    Alberto 16
    Obie 15
    Noah Elliott 12

9. "I'm not going to say any more than I have to, if that." (Hint: Mobster goes Hollywood, satire with all-star cast) (Correctly identified as Get Shorty, still need actor and character.)
    25. "I'd give real money if he'd shut up." (Hint: Alien quotes Shakespeare, part of a sci-fi series)

33. I’m one of the few actors with an honorary doctorate who actually attended the university from which I received the honorary degree. When I was 11, I was mauled by a lion after a day of filming. When I hosted Saturday Night Live, I was the youngest person ever to have done so. (6 points)
    34. I've been married more than once. I love cars. I'm color blind. (6 points)
    35. I performed in the closing ceremonies of the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. My father was the lead singer of a music group. (8 points)
    36. I was a stage actor before I started doing television. I went to Rutgers. (8 points)
    37. I almost starred in "The Brady Bunch". I served in the Marine Corps. (8 points)

FYI to those who've been participating, I'm going to be on vacation next week. I'll be at my folks' house, where they have dialup and not a fast connection, so this won't be updated as quickly as it has been so far, but I'll have my eye on it, and will definitely have some new questions Monday, if not sooner.

6. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just discovered this thread, great questions:

33. Drew Barrymore. She was 7 at the time.

7. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    25. Worf from Star Trek: TNG (really I have no clue)
    36. Danny DeVito

8. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of the above are correct. Worf is on the right track, Danny DeVito is SOOOO far off that it'll be really funny when you get the right answer. Drew Barrymore is a good guess but incorrect. You'll see why later on.

Standings:
    GringoTex 70
    B1 28
    DoctorJones24 18
    CosmosRIP 17
    Alberto 16
    Obie 15
    Noah Elliott 12

9. "I'm not going to say any more than I have to, if that." (Hint: Mobster goes Hollywood, satire with all-star cast) (Correctly identified as Get Shorty, still need actor and character. Come on, people, this isn't that hard. :p)
    25. "I'd give real money if he'd shut up." (Hint: Alien quotes Shakespeare, part of a sci-fi series)

33. I’m one of the few actors with an honorary doctorate who actually attended the university from which I received the honorary degree. When I was 11, I was mauled by a lion after a day of filming. When I hosted Saturday Night Live, I was the youngest person ever to have done so. I was the first choice to play Princess Leia in the Star Wars trilogy, but had to turn it down because I could not get out of my contract with Disney. (4 points)
    34. I've been married more than once. I love cars. I'm color blind. I have my own line of food products. (4 points)
    35. I performed in the closing ceremonies of the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. My father was the lead singer of a music group. Roger Moore suggested I replace Pierce Brosnan as James Bond. (6 points)
    36. I was a stage actor before I started doing television. I went to Rutgers. I recently adopted a baby boy. (6 points)
    37. I almost starred in "The Brady Bunch". I served in the Marine Corps. I didn't act in my first movie until I was 34 years old. (6 points)

9. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    9) John Travolta, Chili Palmer
    33) Jodie Foster
    34) Paul Newman

10. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    36. Rosie O'Donnell

11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    37. George Clooney???? "m not sure why say that, just a hunch.

Doctor Jones beat me t oJode Foster.

12. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    35. Cuba Gooding Jr.

13. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DoctorJones24 goes 3 for 3 on John Travolta, Jodie Foster, and Paul Newman. (Note the phrasing of the SNL clue: "When I hosted...". kopiteinkc's recollection that Drew Barrymore is the youngest person ever to have hosted SNL, in 1982 at the age of 7, is correct; however, at the time Jodie Foster hosted SNL, in 1976 at the age of 14, she was the youngest to have done so, and remained the youngest until Barrymore. But come on... Drew Barrymore? Honorary doctorate?) 10 points to DoctorJones24.

kopiteinkc's answer of Cuba Gooding Jr. is correct; Gooding performed as a break dancer in the closing ceremonies of the 1984 Olympics. 6 points and a hearty welcome to kopiteinkc.

Clooney and O'Donnell are incorrect.

Standings:
    GringoTex 70
    B1 28
    DoctorJones24 28
    CosmosRIP 17
    Alberto 16
    Obie 15
    Noah Elliott 12
    kopiteinkc 6

Quote still on the table:

25. "I'd give real money if he'd shut up." (Hint: Alien quotes Shakespeare, part of a sci-fi series) (Increased to 2 pts each for movie, character, and actor.)

36. I was a stage actor before I started doing television. I went to Rutgers. I recently adopted a baby boy. I'm very very very very thin. (4 points)
    37. I almost starred in "The Brady Bunch". I served in the Marine Corps. I didn't act in my first movie until I was 34 years old. Since then I have appeared in over 70 movies. (4 points)

14. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    36. Calista Flockhart

15. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    25. "I'd give real money if he'd shut up!"
    McCoy, listening to General Chang quoting Shakespeare in Star Trek VI
    DeForest Kelley played McCoy.

16. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Wanted to let everyone know I'm still around. I'm just waiting for the mountain stages.

17. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now wait just a cotton pickin minute, I named Jodi Foster as an answer to #33, prior to Dr. Jones. Que paso? 10 points no?

18. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your guess read: "33. Bill Cosby or Jodi Foster? " Since Cosby was the first name in that answer (and, I might add, a darn good guess for that clue), he was the one I considered to be your answer. Sorry... If I'd mentioned it, I would've given it away.

I don't know if kopiteinkc was waiting until I upped the points for the Bones quote from Star Trek VI, but six points to him.

Obie's answer of Callista Flockhart is correct; pretty far from Danny DeVito, eh? :) 4 points to Obie.

Standings are:

Standings:
    GringoTex 70
    B1 28
    DoctorJones24 28
    Obie 19
    CosmosRIP 17
    Alberto 16
    Noah Elliott 12
    kopiteinkc 12

Only one question still on the table, and since the 2 point clue is damn easy, I'd better get off my ass and write some more questions.

37. I almost starred in "The Brady Bunch". I served in the Marine Corps. I didn't act in my first movie until I was 34 years old. Since then I have appeared in over 70 movies. I played Lex Luthor. (2 points)

19. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex I'll take #37 for 2 points. Who is Gene Hackman.

20. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allow me to plead my case further Gringo Tex mentioned Bill Cosby before me.

21. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    All part of my evil strategy. :D

Any more questions? I think we are done with this batch.

22. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forthcoming. It takes about all the patience I have with dialup just to check my email, and also since I'm on vacation I'm trying not to spend much time in front of the computer, since that's pretty much what I do when I'm at work, SO... there may be more questions tomorrow or Friday, but if not, definitely on Monday. (Coincidentally, when I go back to work. :))

Alberto, I'll give you four points. (And obviously two for Gene Hackman.)

Standings as of the "summer hiatus":
    GringoTex 70
    B1 28
    DoctorJones24 28
    Alberto 22
    Obie 19
    CosmosRIP 17
    Noah Elliott 12
    kopiteinkc 12

23. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'll be away for a week. This may give all you pretenders a chance to catch up.

24. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Hurry, where are those questions? This is our chance to catch Gringo while he's away! :D

25. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, OK, here I am again. :)

Format for the next questions is this: It'll be more declining point value, like the Who Am I? questions, but what I'll give you is a partial list of people involved with a movie or TV show (mainly actors, maybe a few producers or directors), and you give me the title. For TV shows, recurring guest characters may be used (Lilith on Cheers), one time appearances will not (Joe Pantoliano on M*A*S*H). If you give a correct answer that's not the movie I'm thinking of, I'm not giving credit for it, but you can have another guess at the same clues.

38. Richard Dreyfuss, John Cusack (9 points)
    39. Robert Brown, Lois Maxwell, Patrick Macnee (9 points)
    40. Jessica Hecht, Elliott Gould (9 points)
    41. Harvey Keitel, Penny Marshall (9 points)
    42. Suzanne Somers, Mackenzie Phillips (9 points)