The Most Underrated Players of the Messi/Ronaldo era.

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Afghan-Juventus, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    The one name that will always stand out to me is Claudio Marchisio.

KennyDalglish repped this.
  2. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In reality Messi is the most underrated player, of Messi era interestingly.

ko242 repped this.
  3. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    So the man widely considered the greatest of all time is the most underrated player of his era? Now iv heard it all.

Any other players?

AD78 repped this.
  4. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #4 Bada Bing, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    The fact that you called this "Messi/Ronaldo era" rather than example "modern era" already underrates Messi, massively.

ko242 repped this.
  5. Puskas 1988

Puskas 1988 Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Marchisio is a good example. De Rossi comes to mind, too (never recognised at a European level but in his prime he was one of the best midfielders around). As a pure defender, Chiellini was probably as good as any defender in the world in the late 2000s.

Mascherano is quite underrated but always reliable. Bale at the moment is more decisive than the media seem to admit. Fabregas and Schweinsteiger were quite underrated, too, I think. Possibly Aguero.

Cristiano Ronaldo is slightly overrated in the real world but often underrated on this forum.

AD78 and Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  6. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    I feel being at Roma and overshadowed by Totti has do with De Rossi's underrating. I believe Chiellini is the best pure defender of this generation, Barzagli is also extremely underrated.

I somewhat agree with Mascherano and Bale however Fabregas, Schweinsteiger, and Aguero are more than fairly rated.

Your spot on with CR7

ko242 and Puskas 1988 repped this.
  7. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Huge name left off is Jonothan Soriano.

8. Di Pecruydona

Di Pecruydona Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Hamburg
    Club:
    MSV Duisburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I always think of Lahm as a player that is most times left out of 'best defenders of all time' discussions, even if he deserves to be mentioned as one of the best full-backs of all time in my opinion.

9. Di Pecruydona

Di Pecruydona Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Hamburg
    Club:
    MSV Duisburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    other players would be Müller, Kroos or Busquets who are obviously underrated because of their unobtrusive playing style, even if they have a huge impact on the game.

10. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agree re Aguero comment esepcially if you talk about awards, never anywhere near winning any domestic PoTY awards in England or even nominated I think, and for Ballon d'or this is his positions going back from 2015, 13, N/A, N/A, 17, 17, N/A, N/A, 14/20, with the last one the last year they were separate, not the recognition places he deserves given imo he has been top 5 number 9s for last half a dozen years.

Puskas 1988 repped this.
  11. Puskas 1988

Puskas 1988 Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I was actually about to mention Lahm in my own post.

Di Pecruydona repped this.
  12. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    He was nominated for the PFA young player award in 2011/2 and the main prize in 2012/3.

His main problem is his fitness. He tends to miss one prolonged spell in each season.

13. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I said think but good find!!!!

But fully agree re fitness, he still managed to be top scorer and not manage top 3 in PL despite a very good season that year, but again he missed probaly 10 or so games. It is also the timing of his injuries which is often around voting for Ballon d'or that doesn't help. He would have made my top ten once in alst 6/7 years though, and probaly 14/15 season.

comme repped this.
  14. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    Hahaa!! funny enough, I actually agree with you. i will not state particular reasons, as i believe the thread will become off topic

15. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    Fabregas underrated??? I dont think so. At Barcelona his weaknesses were really exposed. I remember how slow he was playing for Barcelona as time went by and it was so frustrating to watch him, hence, he was let go

16. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    I agree with a lot of what you said but i wouldnt put Chiellini as the best pure defender of this generation. I would put Barzagli possibly over him, Lahm, Ashley Cole, John Terry, and maybe a couple others

17. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Top 10 Underrated(in no particular order)
    Xabi alonso(he is undoubtedly the 3rd best outfield player of his generation behind Xavi/iniesta but with the passage of time he has become almost a unsung hero)

Arjen robben(a modern great imo injuries prevented him from being the undisputed 3rd best player of his generation his 13/14 season Inc wc 14 and his 14/15 season till he got injured is the highest level I have seen by any player in this generation(besides Messi/Ronaldo)

Xavi(underrated to a certain degree although I believe history will look favourably upon him.i would not be surprised to see him in most top 20 all time lists 10-15 years from now)

busquets(I use to think that he use to piggyback of the success of lio,Xavi and iniesta but his form over the last couple of seasons has forced me to reconsider)

Wayne Rooney(overrated in England/underrated by the rest of the world in fact I could make a case that he is a top 10 player of his generation)

Sergio aguero:a flop for Argentina but at club level(premier league not so much the cl) he has been immense . I believe that he is not far away from solidifying his position as the 2nd greatest striker of the premier league era(sadly for him it looks as if Thierry Henry is completely out of reach for him)

Karim benzema:a goal scorer,creator and one of the best link up players I have seen in a while . shining in a team that contains Cristiano Ronaldo is not easy but he has done quite a good job of it.

There are others I could include amongst them are iniesta,modric,lahm(aka Mr consistent),patrice evra,Di natale(for a while he had the best scoring record at league level in Europe after Ronaldo/Messi) and there are others I can't think at the moment(probably because I'm tired as fu*k)

SayWhatIWant repped this.
  18. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    imo none of those players can go one 1 on 1 with the very best in the world like Chiellini can. Its a shame he was out against Barca and Bayern for Juventus Messi + Robben vs Chiellini would have been amazing duels.

ko242 repped this.
  19. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Busquets and Muller being underrated is some kind of football myth. Muller was very underrated pre 2014 World Cup however since then he is in almost everyone's top 10, while Busquets commonly seen as the best DM in the world.

What Di Natale has done for Udinese is incredible, definitely underrated. Its a shame we never got to see what he could do for a world class team.

Puskas 1988, ko242 and carlito86 repped this.
  20. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I meant to say 3rd best outfield spanish player of his generation(regarding alonso) not overall(of course there are quite a few in front of him just not Spanish players except for xavi/iniesta and cassilas if we're including gk)

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  21. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    1 on 1, you might be right. but i believe Ashley Cole can hold his own against anybody as well as chiellini

22. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Not an underrated player perse (Ibra and Benz over him?) but underrated is Suarez his ability and adaptability to improve. Lately his passing has made a step up, when bestowed with that duty (previously Neymar was better than him, and sort of given that task if Messi was out).

In an exeggerated way he is like a sponge.

KennyDalglish repped this.
  23. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    This article identifies Kane, Carvajal, Oblak, Carrasco and Kimmich as extremely underpaid players.

http://www.sportskeeda.com/football/5-football-stars-underpaid

Performance relative to pay. If the numbers are true of course, and it should be kept in mind that some are debutants or first season players.

24. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Suarez is very underrated. He almost single-handedly won the EPL title for Liverpool. If it hadnt been for one Gerrard mistake in the match against Chelsea back in 2014, Suarez would have been a ballon d'or winner allready. he is currently easily the best striker in the game. And I would say he is just second to Messi as a playmaker. Has been like this for three seasons running. Probably was like that for longer but Suarez unfortunately was not playing in a league with insane international exposure for people to know such a great player even existed.

25. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Performance analyze of every second what happens on the field, playing against the same opponents.

[​IMG]

Uefa Player Of Season

1-3. Bale, Griezmann, Cronaldo
    4. Suarez
    5. Messi
    16. Neymar

Shows how Madrid is controlling current media, appreciation is completely backwards on actual reality.