The most famous players you have played against

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Excape Goat, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I got none that I can think of.

2. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    matt mckeon is the only even marginally famous player i can recall playing against - my ice hockey list would be somewhat more notable

3. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    I kicked the ball around with Junior (LB Brasil WC'82) for about a 1/2 hour on the beach in Rio. Did not play a game however.

4. manc_sean

manc_sean Red Card

Aug 27, 2004
    Manchester
    I've played with Chris Eagles (United) a few times when we were younger, and you could tell even then that he was going to make it as a pro.

5. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I've played with Menno Willems back when I was about 8 years old. He was 12 back then. We played on the street in front of school.

He has played for Ajax and Vitesse and is now playing for a club in First Division IIRC.

6. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kicked the ball around with diego serna as he lived in my neighborhood and i played against quadrine hill, a fullback (american football) for the university of miami :D

7. CW1980

CW1980 New Member

May 4, 2004
    Belfast
    I've played against former Linfield winger Billy Murray who, despite being twice my age and having two dodgy knees, still made me look like an amateur (he didn't like it when I kicked him though).

I played in the same school team as the Stockport and Northern Ireland striker Warren Feeney.

That's about the height of it though.

8. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Keiron Dyer, Richard Wright, i played with them when they were at Ipswich and some people and me in my school went to play in some tournement and we played with with them, i was only about 10 at the time so it was kinda fun :D, and the Tampa Bay mutiny coach (who used to play for Ipswich) came to coach my old football team for a week.

9. NinjaMonkey_USA

NinjaMonkey_USA New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I played with lots of MLS fu.cks who I don't know their names and the Valancia U-14s but I don't know their names.

10. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Adam Hunter, Jason Nickel and Jason Goeken.. oh and Levi Robbins

11. evtasch

evtasch New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    John Harkes...Peter Vermes....NJ club soccer tournements back in the 80's......

12. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tab Ramos at NC State. Bobby Howfield who played for West Ham in the 60's and 70's

13. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terry Phelan - Ex Man City and Rep Of Ireland defender.
    Mark Watson - Canadian National team

of course it was a bastardized game of cricket at the Charleston Battery's annual picnic :)

Mikey

14. diego "chicho" serna?

15. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Frank Klopas, Chris Armas, Richie Kotschau, Giovanni Savarese, Ted Eck, Tom Soehn, Joe Paul DiBernardo, Travis Rinker, Ex US Nat John Lignos, whole bunch of guys I can't remember now in college-Div. 1, , whole bunch of former Divison 1 players from Europe and South America in Chicago's National Soccer League and New York's Cosmo League who most of you would have no idea who they were. Hell, I can't remember all of them.

16. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    Giovanni Savarese is a heroe in Venezuela :)

17. Caraemondinga

Caraemondinga Member

Jul 29, 2004
    aca
    carlos "el pibe" valderrama

18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I played against Marcos Sandy who played for Bolivia in WC '94, one year in Spain for Valledolid and a few years in Argentina. Also, Gaston Taborga, who was a Bolivian great in the 80's. Played with Alberto Acosta who was a decent Argentinian player who was the defensive partner of Argentinia's greatest defender, Daniel Pasarela, when he played in Chacarita Juniors.

19. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Played against someone in a pickup game (don't remember name) who played for Toros Neza at the time. He basically ran circles around me. Played with St. Kitts & Nevis international George Isaac in a pickup game in Houston, he was apparently just there for a few days.

Also played in a co-ed five-a-side tournament with Katherine Winstead, a two-time All-ACC player for Wake Forest.

20. S H LEE 13

S H LEE 13 New Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Rochester MN
    My cousin lives in birmingham

he messed around with sol campbell and robert pires
    he was out in the park with friends and sol and robert were just havin a good breath of air
    hes a die-hard man u fan tho (my cousin is)
    he would play like mark van bommel, clippin ur heels, kicking ur knees

he gave pires a bad ankle for the birmingham-arsenal game the next day

this was 2 years ago

I really killed him the next family reunion cuz pires is my favorite player and he got subbed

21. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think I should add one more.

Played against a college team coached by Dan Calichman... so technically I've played against him, even if he was only on the sidelines.

Edit: one more that I remember now. Martin Barner-Olsen, in an intramural match. He was ineligible to play for Caltech because he'd played professionally: two years in the Danish second division, can't find his club though.

22. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Really??? Good goalscorer and VERY persistent. Played against him in an exhibition (Long Island Roughriders-NY Hota Bavarians).

Oh, btw, just remembered Viktor Jakovljevic (current owner of Chicago Storm/formerly of Chicago Sting), both with and against, and Jado Hasanbegovic and Enes Memeledzija of the Sting. I'll probably remember more tomorrow.

23. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    No, Diego "Flipper" Serna. Dove famously. ;)

24. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's pretty damn cool.

I havent played against anyone famous that I can think of, but I did play with someone who played briefly with Cannes when Zidane was there in the early 90's.

25. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played with Chris Sullivan in high school...