The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many won though?

AlbertCamus repped this.
  2. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Interesting. I still think Soldier Field, a big down town stadium regularly used soccer, in a northern not too hot city, the 3rd biggest city in the country, in a region under represented in the WC
    Good question.

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not many. Denver probably lost out because they weren't willing to give tax breaks.

But FIFA aren't clear about what the financial commitments of chosen cities will be plus they insist on signing contracts under Swiss Law.

harrylee773, AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  4. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This is straying the MLS stadium thread, but, yes, Denver would have been great too. The NFL stadium is decent for soccer, near downtown (walkable) and some public transportation. Good summer weather. And, most importantly, close and with convenient public transport to my home. :)

Chesco United repped this.
  5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The Bears said today they weren't interested in Soldier Field at the moment as they had an exclusive negotiating window in Arlington Heights.

harrylee773 repped this.
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dietz Stadium in Kingston NY would be perfect for me. Just need to add 50,000 seats.

Chesco United and AlbertCamus repped this.
  7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    lol. I supposed "perfect" for me would have been to convert the U of Colorado's Folsom Field in Boulder to be wide enough to fit a soccer field, but that would destroy part of what makes it great for stadium for college football (it is so narrow, the benches barely fit); so I think a Boulder, Colorado World Cup was out of the cards. Denver better, but no. Shame. lol

8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard it mentioned that DC United is putting a roof on its stadium. Does this mean it's going to be completely covered, or will it just cover the seated areas for the fans? Thanks in advance for answering my query!

edcrocker repped this.
  10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's referring to DC United FINISHING the roof partitions of their stadium....

11. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want someone to ask Bruce for more details about this Boston stadium. I wonder how he sees his legacy with the Revs. He's getting up there, but still has been very good with talent eval (barring his massive blind spot for his "guys" ) and coaching up young players. I wonder how his role evolves in the next 3-4 years.

12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Louis looks nice.

That is a welcome addition next year.

I saw a blurb on wiki that Freedom Park construction in Miami is supposed to start this year. Is that accurate? I thought they were still mired in a holding pattern.

harrylee773 repped this.
  13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow, that looks like an amazing location.

15. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things:

1) If this location gets done, the Revs will need way more than 15k seats. It's in the dead center of Boston, almost. I suspect all their current fans will still come to games, plus all of those who think Gillette is too far away.

2) It looks like almost a mile to the nearest public transportation. I wonder how much land they'll need to convert to parking to make that work. Or could they put in a transit stop closer? Plenty of places in MLS have zero public transportation, so it's not the biggest deal in the world, but Boston seems like the kind of place where people take the train a lot.

17. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, of 29 in.

SSS with grass = 21.

Columbus (SSS #2), LAG, FCD, TFC, Colorado, RSL, NYRB, Philly, SKC, Houston, Montreal, SJ, Orlando, DCU, LAFC, Minny, Miami (done in Ft.L, green lit it Miami), Austin, Cincy, Nashville, St. Louis.

SSS with turf = 1.

Portland.

Would love to see grass in Portland but do not know if it is feasible. Ownership seems amenable.

Non SSS with grass = 2.

Chicago, NYCFC.

The Fire back in Chicago was needed and at least Soldier Field is grass. Citeh are continuing to look in NY.

Non SSS with turf = 5.

NE, Seattle, Vancouver, Atlanta, Charlotte.

That article looks fairly promising for NE. All the originals have SSS w/grass save the Revs. And it would be great for them to be in Boston and get out of this tier of stadia. Unless Vancouver is looking, the others will remain turfball in NFL/CFL stadia.

VioletCrown and harrylee773 repped this.
  18. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As with everything.. Given enough time and money, anything is possible. ;) I know Paulson keeps saying he'll put grass in, but it is really something that is on par with NER getting a SSS in Boston. Paulson also doesn't want to pay for it himself and the City of Portland isn't about to pay to install grass as it will do nothing to increase revenue in the stadium...

TrueCrew repped this.
  19. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm sure there's plenty of grass in the stadium at every Portland game.

20. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    The proposed development site in neighboring Everett, Massachusetts is 5 miles - as the crow flies - from the geographic "dead center of Boston".

As for access to the site via public transit, he two nearest extant stations are anywhere from a mile to a mile-and-a-half from the proposed development site... once again, as the crow flies. On foot or via ground transportation, the distance is going to be longer than that.

As for converting land surrounding the stadium to parking in order to accommodate supporters driving to matches, getting in and out of said area in a car would be an absolute nightmare. It already is... and encouraging any sizable contingent of people to descend upon the neighborhood en masse in cars in order to attend a sporting event would only add to the congestion.

There are a lot of questions - many of them having to do with addressing the issue of conveniently moving masses of people to and from such a facility - that have yet to be answered about just how realistic a proposition the development of a soccer-specific stadium at said site happens to be.

21. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no clue about the actual situation there, so this is probably stupid but I'm going to say it anyway. These remind me of all the concerns that were brought up about Austin building their stadium where they did. I have no idea how it's actually turned out, but somehow it seems to be working. So maybe, despite all the possible problems, it will end up working out for the Revs...?

jaykoz3 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  22. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    it certainly may work out. Time will tell.

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston can build a tunnel. They have lots of experience.

mbar, MisterB1968, AlbertCamus and 2 others repped this.
  24. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the proximity to all that water makes the environmental stuff a bit more concerning here, but agree overall.

25. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have lots of Big Dig experience, sure.... at corruption making the costs astronomical, and incompetence in making the results dangerous.