The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. DCW531

DCW531 Member

City SC
    Jan 31, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    St. Louis does have a moderately successful USL team, with some ownership overlap, so they should have a little bit of fan-base to start with. More importantly right now, they are looking at 2022, not next season...

TrueCrew repped this.
  2. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    In Columbus, our attendance dropped in 2009, despite winning the cup in 2008. If it wasn't the recession, what was it?

3. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An apathetic fan base

4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I think Austin will be ok financially. They claim to have already sold out their premium seats and the market is big enough and rich enough to sell out the other seats. Travel to and from games looks like it might be a pain and dampen the gameday experience though.

Charlotte has the richest owner in MLS. His NFL team is in rebuilding mode and along with Jacksonville are the early leaders in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes. So the NFL team's support might be down this year.

I'm not sure how the sales are going in either Columbus or Cincinnati but the prices are higher in Columbus. Cincinnati has a gradual plan to raise prices over 3 years so they are pricing West End well below New Crew.

5. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    It is, there's nothing unique about that thing (although all recent stadiums have looked pretty much the same, structurally). The layout is simple, we could've guessed what it was going to look like before hand. The roof is the same construction that Beckham used to put up the Ft. Lauderdale stadium in 6 months.
    Throw same black paint on it and fancy fixtures in the premium areas and you're good.
    Whats the saying? You can slap lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig.

It will definitely cost a good bit, because they had to create an 80' water retention wall all the way around. just curious, Are they going to be doing that for the rest of the development or just the stadium, because its below water level?

6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    It's hardly a pig. To answer your question, the secant wall is just for the stadium as it's largely below ground. The adjoining commercial/residential complex is closer to the river but is being built upward.

wingman2468 repped this.
  7. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Small point, but I don't see "Mapfre with a roof" as being much of a criticism. Mapfre with a roof would be better than quite a few stadiums in MLS.

catfish9 and wingman2468 repped this.
  8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deep breaths everyone. We really don’t need to have a pissing match here. The renderings of Austin’s and Columbus’s stadiums are pretty.

harrylee773 and AndyMead repped this.
  9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless posts are reported, I can only moderate what I see and I miss a lot. ;)

FoxBoro 143 repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, the rest of us who live outside of Columbus/Austin would be happy if you guys took the 348th Crew-Austin pissing match in N&A somewhere else.

Kejsare, swoot, USA94 and 2 others repped this.
  11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What's the time frame for Charlotte, again? I've a local contact looking into Tepper's stadium planning.

12. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've gone further and deleted some more.

Let's do remember that this is a neutral forum, K?

13. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Yeah, but it helps to break up the monotony of us bagging on Arsenic Park.

TrueCrew, catfish9 and JasonMa repped this.
  14. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I may offer a palate cleanser... I don't think this made it into the thread last week.

Photos of stadium progress in St. Louis. It's just land clearing and site prep so far. As you can see, the construction crews have been forced to work around an existing parking lot (the owner of the lot still hasn't worked out a deal to sell the land to the team).

STL MLS stadium site

stadium.jpg

DCW531 repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuse me?

That's Plague Park to you.

16. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh so everyone in this forum just comes here to sing Kumbaya? Banter between fans is part of what makes this sport so fun. Pick a side and join in, or just sit back and watch the fireworks. I'm mostly joking, as it does get old in many cases.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, you're not getting it. Nobody here sings kumbaya. But this is neutral territory and the self described big kid's table. There is plenty of banter, but it isn't the Rivalries Forum. Given the 99% shit talking to 1% positivity between the Columbus and Austin camps here, I don't think there's any benefit of the doubt to be given. Mainly because when people are called on banter, they quickly back down, but y'all tend to get defensive as hell.

I doubt many posters her would be too concerned, and might just join in, if the Crew fans kept having a go at Precourt the person and team owner, but the fact that it just seems like endless attacks on Austin, Austin FC's front office, Austin FC's logo, Austin FC's stadium, and pretty much everything else to do with Austin you can come up with, no it doesn't pass the "banter" smell test to me. This isn't the MLS Rivalries Forum (does that still exist?). It's not Austin FC's or its fans fault that Precourt is their owner. I don't see a lot of Austin fans defending Precourt. Maybe you might just find you have common cause.

sitruc, bselig, jaykoz3 and 4 others repped this.
  18. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My involvement was only to counter the austin poster that was offering flawed opinion of the quality of the new Crew Stadium.

I thought I was rather restrained in simply asking what he was basing this flawed opinion on. ;)

19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of who started it, there is no particular reason why fans of the opposing side should take the bait and escalate it.

bselig, jaykoz3 and AndyMead repped this.
  20. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4395 FoxBoro 143, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Wrong. I'm not an Austin poster. I'm a neutral poster who simply stated that Austin's gorgeous stadium with a MASSIVE season ticket list is nicer than Columbus' humdrum stadium that might sell out once or twice a year.

(Yes, this was a stranger/Billy inspired troll post)

21. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to be clear though, the one Austin poster simply posted updates on the Austin MLS stadium in this MLS Stadium thread. The Columbus trolls began attacking him for doing so.

22. El Pelón

El Pelón Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Austin, TX
    I think what started it is me having the audacity to post about the Austin FC training facility groundbreaking, which was apparently too much for Bill Archer to handle, so he randomly started shitposting about our stadium renderings, etc.

If you've noticed the pattern it's: Austin fan posts something benign that contributes to the thread. Random Columbusite (but usually Bill) gets triggered and starts ranting about Austin. Then eventually someone from Austin (usually wingman) responds. It escalates and then the mods clean things up.

Seems we wouldn't have problems if a small percentage of Columbus fans could stand that occasionally Austin news pops up in neutral threads.

23. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't referring to you, but I reported the above post anyway.:)

24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we not re-litigate. The short and skinny of it is that it would be nice if any posts regarding Austin didn't turn into pissing competitions. ;)

AndyMead and JasonMa repped this.
  25. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Piss on Austin!!