The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that really a bad thing tho? I mean, the Crew do have Adi eating up a roster spot now....

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For 205k hes about as good a #2 forward as anybody else. The problem isnt that he cant play, its that hes not worth two million.

Look at the lame ass strikers Atlanta is sending out there. Adi would be a huge upgrade.

Pauncho and Minnman repped this.
  3. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    Yes a $240M stadium is completely shallow pocketed. Cute you think financing isn't something that happens often. Almost as if you didn't know there are two separate markets for such a thing.
    Covering new crew stadium in black paint may look nice but its really its just a drape over a bare bones stadium with substantial infrastructure costs (that the city paid for). Also already heard people complaining about rise in ticket pricing, like they expect sports owners to swallow $200 million in stadium costs.
    Pretty good investment if ask me.

4. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear God, are you actually this stupid or are you putting us on?

catfish9 repped this.
  5. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put your money where your mouth is.

I sat through the hour long sales presentation for the luxury areas/suites for Crew stadium.

What are you basing this on?

Bill Archer repped this.
  6. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    stanger repped this.
  7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill Archer repped this.
  8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I see the Austin/Columbus dick measuring contest is making a comeback. Sigh.

Can't we just agree that it is awesome that both teams will soon have a brand spanking new stadium to play in? And that, in the end, 90% of team owners end up being insufferable jerks out for themselves?

Crooked, harrylee773, Burr and 4 others repped this.
  9. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    [​IMG]

ElJefe and Bill Archer repped this.
  10. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4360 catfish9, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2020
    But to answer your question, no we can not agree that it's awesome that Austin got a team/stadium. Not with the jackwad owner and how he got it. Nothing against most of their 200 fans. Aside from that I'm all for league expansion and growth of the game - just rather see it be ethically and organically.

11. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4361 FoxBoro 143, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2020
    Didn't they sell like 30k deposits? 200?

12. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Semantics my friend. Pretty much been ferreted out that they did not sell the many deposits but rather claim to have sold a number of deposits that indicated said depositors would potentially purchase the equivalent of that many seats. 1 deposit could reserve right to purchase I believe up to 8 tickets. So by Precourt logic/math his 3,750 deposits will translate into 30,000 seats - I mean since he has that historically successful sports executive Andy Loughne running the show how could he be wrong? (catch the sarcasm?)

13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In short, not really.

We don't know how many people put down deposits for individual season tickets. We know that people who put down deposits could claim up to 8 (I think) season tickets, but there was no extra financial cost for doing so (again, I don't think). Please correct me if I'm wring about this.

How many individual deposits were taken that tallied those 30K seats (with one deposit able to claim up to 8 seats), we don't know.

How many of those 30K seats will translate in actual season tickets, once people are given the opportunity to buy, we don't know.

Look, as a Crew fan, I hate this team. Or, rather, I hate their owner. If Precourt sold to someone else, I'd care no more about Austin than any other expansion team.

That said, and despite the spin surrounding their actual number of season ticket deposits, I assume they'll draw well. Sellouts all season long? I have no idea, and personally doubt it (I'm biased, obviously) based on other things I've observed about support in the city. I'm especially dubious about the total lack of an traffic, logistical plan for a stadium that's supposed to open next spring. But we'll see.

14. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember people saying the same thing about Atlanta. (No added cost for more deposits, refundable, what percentage will actually buy) but it seems as though a vast majority activated their deposits. Austin only needs about 65% to activate, much less assuming more people have added to the list and they reserve a couple thousand for sponsors and individual/group sales.

15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, like I said. We'll see.

16. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One indicator of their conversion rate is that they are still actively pursuing more deposits. So are they not converting as expected? Where the initial reports a sham? You see it's hard to believe anything that comes from Precourt &/or Loughne, because they have a history of unethical and deceiving behavior.

The best thing that could happen for Austin is for Precourt to quickly sell out and disappear. Until then the entire organization has a bullseye for criticism and cynicism. No one outside that city will accept them or root for their success.

Bill Archer repped this.
  17. El Pelón

El Pelón Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Austin, TX
    We've already sold out premium seats. General and supporters tickets go on sale soon.

But what do I know. How are the new Columbus stadium "waitlist" seats selling?

18. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite a bit behind Austin on the timeline as Crew are just now selling the premium seats but will be late summer before fans get opportunity for supporters and other sections. But thanks for asking.

Austin should sell out, they should have a healthy list on sponsors. They are the 1st professional sport in town after all. Still unclear how all those eager fans are going to get to and home from the stadium. Whatever happened to that traffic study anyway?

19. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being Crew fans, for some weeks now we've been in full torches and pitchforks mode about how our FO is moving ahead with ticket sales for the new stadium.

I have to assume that for Columbus, Austin, Cincinnati, this is just an impossible situation. Endless months of lockdown/physical distancing coupled with a suddenly terrifying economic situation flips upside down whatever season ticket campaigns plans these teams had.

I have a call with a rep on Monday, but as catfsh says, it'll probably about premium seats, only, and that's just not what I'm looking to buy. Rumor has it seats in my price range might be available come August. But I'll believe it when I see it.

El Pelón repped this.
  20. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it's true there are many of the long time faithful that are anxious and even a bit annoyed with how Crew are approaching their sales process. The focus so far has been only on premier seating and the complaints have been about pricing for some that have sat in that general area of current stadium. But with the sticker shock is serious first class upgrade to amenities/experience. And of course it cost more to go first class. No idea how sales are going to date. But it will surely ramp up once other sections are opened up for sale. Just got keep the eager long timers calm until they get to plunk down their cash on whatever seats fit their budget.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's going to be tough across the board. The financial devastation this pandemic is causing to ordinary Americans is definitely going to cause an impact. Luxuries are going to be the first to go, and season tickets to sports/theater/etc are a luxury. With the lack of actual events, there'll be a bit of a delay, but when it comes time to start writing checks or punching in credit card numbers, teams are going to see retention rates fall. Some fans will opt for cheaper seats or go from full season to mini-plans. Every year sees some outright losses due to any number of factors, but with people losing jobs that kind of casual spending is going to tighten up.

At least Columbus, Cincy, and even Sacramento have existing ticket holders to work with. Saint Louis, Charlotte, and Austin are the ones basically starting from scratch. And of those three, at least the Charlotte group will have the NFL team and its fans paying the freight for the stadium expenses.

JasonMa repped this.
  22. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strangely, bad economy tends to strengthen attendance! People have more free time. Prices may struggle, but I'm optimistic.

*the above is based upon limited evidence and is a theory that may not be backed up by reality, but if anyone wants to check MLB/NHL/NBA attendance and overlap it with recessions, I think it will bear out.

Bill Archer repped this.
  23. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Eh.

They'll give proper notice, have the new meeting, and vote 'yes' to the stadium again.

And if it turns out to be a no vote, NSC can always play at Nissan until a new deal is worked out...or until new county "sports authority" board members are elected.

TrueCrew repped this.