The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    ------
    Whatever ended up happing with that property?

2. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Can't they pour soccer specific concrete?

3. NeilB

NeilB Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Mount Kisco, NY
    I remember when they started on Red Bull Arena. They cleared the area and then put up a few steel beams and it sat like that for months. It turned out that Red Bull and AEG were still fighting over the stadium plans.

4. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    Austin Update:
    [​IMG]

They threw the Northwest corner assembly up there really quick. They've been pouring concrete basically everywhere, and they put the steel risers down for the lower bowl where applicable. They've got to finish the roof structure and remove the temporary support columns before they can finish up the lower bowl.

5. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am very glad to see construction continue during this.

6. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VBCity72 repped this.
  7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  8. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    #4183 wingman2468, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Construction will not stop! And a general rule of thumb, don't listen to @stanger on matters in Austin.

Austin did halt construction but a few days after, the governor reinstated construction in Texas as an essential business by State order.

Here's a link to the City of Austin Development Services Department, where they explain all that.

"On March 31, 2020, Governor Abbott issued a new Executive Order implementing statewide protocols for essential services and activities. The order, which took effect Thursday, April 2, designates essential services based on recent guidance from the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency in the Department of Homeland Security.

Governor Abbott’s Stay at Home orders regarding essential services and activities include some differences from the City’s previous Order, specifically regarding construction.... "

VBCity72 repped this.
  9. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted an article from your local paper with zero commentary. Are you saying your local paper isn’t to be trusted?

FYI, I wouldn’t trust The Columbus Dispatch on matters of the Crew, so it’s possible.

Did the Statesman do a retraction of their article I posted? If so, Google can’t find it.

10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article appears to be from 3/27, so I'm not sure why it would do a retraction article given that when the article was written, it was factually accurate..

That being said, the live cam does show workers at the site doing their thing..

11. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    You posted an already out of date article, and because you live in Ohio, you didn't know that. Your personal lack of awareness has nothing to do with being able to trust local news sources.

When Saturday Comes repped this.
  12. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted the most recent article on stadium construction in central Texas.

Why wouldn't the Statesman write another article stating the construction would continue, considering they had just said that it wouldn't a week earlier?

13. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Whatevs. Appreciate the updates guys. Nice to watch an SSS go up, so long as everybody's safe.

stanger and AndyMead repped this.
  14. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    Do you only get news from one source? That would explain alot.

15. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure the other posters aren’t amused by this tangent, so I’ll be done after this post.

I thought soccer was so popular that the paper of record would have reason to keep on top of stadium developments.

I was apparently wrong.

appwrangler repped this.
  16. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    I am happy you're finally starting to admit when you're wrong.

17. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    For what it's worth, The Athletic had a piece last week on the progress of various stadia under construction across the country. They also said that Austin would be shutting down construction for the duration of the crisis once some work in progress reached a stage where it could be resumed later. That's apparently not correct, the contractors are citing the governor's order as overruling the local Austin rules.

wingman2468 repped this.
  18. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker, Honore de Ballsac and canammj repped this.
  19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At about the 13:48 mark of this recent 25th Anniversary MLS Inaugural Game coverage, Jeff Agoos states the field was about 63 yards wide, after which Eric Wynalda responds that it was actually measured out to 62.5 yards wide (but still no mention of the field's length pre-1998 renovation). :eek:

-G

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Visually, looking at where the corner hashes were, I'd have guessed 63 1/2 to 64 yards.

If the corner hashes match up with the 18 yard box, the field is 66 yards wide (1+10+18+8+18+10+1 = 66)

The only Division I men or women's game I've attended with the hash inside the 18 was the first year of the WUSA when the Atlanta Beat played at Bobby Dodd back when it still had a running track (2 or 3 renovations before Atlanta United FC played there).

Goodsport and Stupid_American repped this.
  21. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Prior to the 1998 reno, Spartan Stadium was always "wink-wink" 65 yards at the goal lines, but in reality the only way they could get a true 65 yards was to put the corner flags right next to the walls where they curved in, or to shorten the length of the field so that the goal lines were where there was more width available because of the curve of the walls. It was not kind to teams that wanted inswinging corner kicks, to be sure.

Y'all shoulda seen the place when the old concrete staircases were still there close to midfield in the NASL 1.0 days.

Honore de Ballsac and Goodsport repped this.
  22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Even after the renovations it was impossible to see anyone standing on the touchline nearest you if you were in bench-side stands. I remember corner kicks being big mysteries (I spent about a week every other month in San Jose from 1998-2001 when I was working for a San Jose-based engineering group for Cisco. It was just an amazing coincidence at how many of my trips coincided with MLS and USMNT games at Spartan Stadium that I was interested in attending).

Honore de Ballsac and Goodsport repped this.
  23. DCW531

DCW531 Member

City SC
    Jan 31, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
  24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  25. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You say that, but what better time for MLS to switch to a Fall-Spring schedule! :)