The MLS 9s: the last unturned stones, do they warrant a look?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jun 5, 2022.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don’t know where the available games are to give these guys examinations……. But we are kinda in last minute desperation mode here. So…… what do we got here?

JMo at the 9……. Admit it, we really haven’t tried this yet. We’ve done the wing thing, but To my Knowledge Jordan has not been THE guy yet up top, and he could be given his size and adequate ball skill

or……. The MLS leading scorers in JeBo and Vasquez. The appeal of an MLS guy is they don’t know they’re supposed to have the weight of a country on their shoulders like our European guys , who it seems to overwhelm. But I’ve watched both Vasquez and especially JeBo this season and they’ve scored some nice goals. Basically…… the plow here is they don’t know the pressure yet and try to use that to their advantage

or…….. we just roll in it Sargent, Dike, and Pepi and hope for the best even though they’re snake bitten? I guess we only need one to catch fire. Forward is a weird position.

Bajoro repped this.
  2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Sargent, Pepi, Hoppe, Dike. Whoever gets off to a strong start

3. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I think we're better off trying out some formations playing without a 9 than we are trying to give every 9 with a pulse a game. If guys 1-10 can't do the job, the odds that Mr. 11 or 12 can is pretty hopefully at best and likely a waste of time.

4. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we had more time they'd warrant a look. I don't think they are going to get one with the time we have left.

There's only 2-3 spots for a striker in that September camp and alot of guys who are in contention (Pepi, Ferreira, Sargent, Dike, Pefok, Vasquez, Wright, and Ebobisse)

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I think it's perhaps worth remembering that a quality #9 at the international level doesn't exactly fall off of trees (see Manchester City). How many really competent center forwards have we had historically?

Ultimately we need a guy to be strong enough on the ball to hold up play and take some pressure off and not be a disaster in front of goal - and be mobile enough to press. Would be great if prime McBride was around or if Jozy weren't playing more like he's 42 than 32, but this is a position that needs some seasoning so whoever we take is going to have some major warts.

I personally think Pepi is probably the guy given his particular skill set. I'm hoping he will get more chances and goals with a pre-season and half season under his belt. He looked perfect in a few of our qualifiers passing the ball and finishing.

Mountainia, Bajoro, Mike03 and 6 others repped this.
  6. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Wegerle

Wynalda

The 2002 team had McBride, Mathis, Wolff, Moore and Donovan.

Dempsey has played the position with some distinction.

Altidore.

And of course Wondolowski.

TrueCrew repped this.
  7. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Damn. Prime Josh Wolff would do well for this team.

Bajoro and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  8. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    So would McBride. He would be perfect with the creativity these young guys could provide him service with.

9. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    We could use the scoring of many of those guys although maybe not JMM. It's kinda weird that Jozy isn't in the mix and motivated to make this team, but I haven't been following his injury history.

But I don't think of a lot of these guys as #9 - Mathis, Donovan, Dempsey for example. McBride would be my first choice probably and he was hated here for much of his career for not scoring enough.

Dervos and Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  10. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Absolutely. My point was that Josh was never in Bake‘s class and his aggressive movement up top, along with some decent finishing skills would be great here.
    It‘s brutal to think about but perhaps unfair because I am only thinking about these players during their best times. Bake was a pretty mediocre finisher until he was 26/27, while Josh dealt with a lot of injuries I believe. Is what it is.

11. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Jozy is done. Injuries and age. Just the way it is. Oh well.

dark knight repped this.
  12. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I haven't watched Ebobisse or Vasquez this season yet - do they fit in our current setup? I'm inclined to think that Dike may not be a great fit given how plodding he sometimes looks. I don't think Jordan Morris has the first touch and hold up play for center forward personally.

13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I think he was always a decent finisher at the club level - but his game did go to another level late in his career when he turned himself into a great player in the air. I'm hoping Sargent has a similar career arc - he seems to work his tail off to improve too.

TrueCrew and Pegasus repped this.
  14. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    This is a really good point. When was the last time our best scorer was a true striker?? You'd probably at least have to go back to Wynalda/McBride. It's been Landon, Clint, and Puli since then.

We played Clint up top at times if we needed to. Or we got what we could out of the position. I don't think we have anyone right now who is the caliber of Jozy, but even Jozy was never the best scorer on the teams he played on imo (hi clint, hi landon). People like Joe-Max Moore and Brian McBride added a lot to the team outside of goals in pressing and hold-up play (though they also could freaking finish, sigh)

TrueCrew, largegarlic and dark knight repped this.
  15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    A non-scoring center forward works best with a strike partner or with a cam. 433 is tough to make work without goal creation from the number 9. Even Klopp had to eventually rotate Firmino.

dark knight and nobody repped this.
  16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Loved him-a real man crush

Dervos repped this.
  17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    has Dike played at all lately? (before season ended)

18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly that appears to be the case. There was some hope that get healthy and get hot in New England, but that appears to not be a possibility.

19. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't think so.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    By eventually you mean after he played like every game of a title winning season? :)

21. Jo'Burg 2010

Jo'Burg 2010 Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Brazil just played their last 2 friendlies with a false 9, with Neymar playing the role. I am not saying that Tim Weah = Neymar, but it seems he, or maybe Pulisic, could fill that role.

nobody repped this.
  22. Jo'Burg 2010

Jo'Burg 2010 Member

Jun 26, 2011
    And Roy Lassiter. He was terrific for a few years when he was really in the scoring groove.

Yowza repped this.
  23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Dike suffered a hamstring injury then suffered knee injury. He only played two matches.

Sadio Mane's moving to false 9 for Liverpool would probably be a decent analogue to a Weah at false 9 experiment.

Jo'Burg 2010 repped this.
  24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The MLS players have the summer to build cases. We'll see what happens with JMo, Jebo, and Vasquez.

25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Never terrific for the USA. But he did kick butt in NLS.