The Mike Huckabee (R) Campaign Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Chris M., Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Yes, for 20 years, and after I'm done puking :D

2. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not 100% certain but couldn't that be correct if they got rid of the hyphen (ie making it an editing error rather than a journalistic one)?? Meaning a poll that was taken lately in December.

3. PhillyQuakesFan

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree.

The mainstream of the BigSoccer Politics Board is NOT the mainstream of the American populace.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That would be valid and plausible if this had come from a senate race in, say, 1984. But 1992? There's aLOT to see here.

5. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    From Fox News Internview:

Hmmm....let's see what he said then:

[​IMG]

Oh. I see. "Isolate" and "lock up" two different concepts for Mike. :rolleyes::D

6. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Arkansas.

7. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Huckabee should join with Joe Lieberman and run on the "Two charming guys wrong on every issue" ticket.

8. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree -- he should have just come clean quickly. He made a mistake in judgment.

And looking at it objectively, one could see why he would have thought Dumond should have been paroled. Apparently, lots of people thought Dumond should have. In the end, they were wrong of course.

But by claiming he had no influence on the parole board? That just looks and sounds silly.

Maybe if we ended the "drug war" there would be plenty of prison space for guys like Dumond.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

No, I think it would be just the opposite. Give the religious right what they want, since this election is lost anyway. They would get killed in the general election and then the party would have to do some soul-searching and the power of the religious fundamentalists would decrease.

Then hopefully they will learn their lesson, and we will see a stronger GOP that will forget about trying to legislate morality and will stand for values like less government interference in our lives. And, who knows? Maybe then they will even remember that they are supposed to be the party that supports the rights and the needs of small business owners like myself.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    asf, I don't think you've fully considered what the electoral map would look like if the GOP lost, let's say, 1/4 of its current share of the evangelical vote. Goodbye upper South, you're blue now. Goodbye Ohio. Goodbye southern mountain west. Oh, goody, the solid Democratic states add up to 370 EVs now!!

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And yet a centrist republican like Arnold can win even in California.

12. PhillyQuakesFan

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there that many evangelicals in Arizona/New Mexico/Nevada??

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    The Democratic strategy of not criticizing Huckabee is simply misguided. Any decent citizen should want the best possible choice of candidates. Moreoever, the idea that Huckabee can't win is ridiculous!

14. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not many.

Read Ryan Sager's book "The Elephant in the Room" sometime. His thesis is that the GOP has gone about as far as it can go in attracting evangelicals. He believes that the GOP needs to re-adopt a more federalist policy and he points specifically to the mountain west.

If you look at the states the GOP does well in, there is two groups -- one with large numbers of evangelicals (plus Utah) and another with few evangelicals. He believes that the GOP is in danger of losing the more libertarian types in the Rocky Mountains and that "cultural federalism" as he describes it can keep the evangelicals in the GOP while reestablishing strength in the Rockies and elsewhere.

15. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Detractors are the ones who usually make these kinds of arguments. LOL! This is hilarious!!

16. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Exactly! It is like the alcoholics that need to reach absolute bottom before turning their lives around. A Huckabee nomination would result in such an out-of-balance result in the general election, the GOP would've wished they ran George McGovern in 2008.

Take back the GOP!

17. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, I am not so sure. Huckabee is a likeable guy who would be a pale imitation of a European Christian Democrat -- lots of government spending on domestic things and social conservatism. If he de-emphasizes the evangelicalism, he could end up surprising a lot of folks.

I was willing to give Huckabee a look early on, mostly because of a podacst where he kept talking about federalism. However, he comes across as a nanny stater and I don't want him to be the standard bearer.

People like money spent on their pet causes, and people also like government authority on their pet causes. So if enough people want federal dollars to address obesity "FOR THE CHILDREN!!!" he might be a winner.

The GOP that I support at that point would be dead.

18. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    I can't believe people are so skeptical of Huckabee's chances if he wins the Republican nomination. I think he could definitely defeat Hillary. You're making it sound as if America is a nation of atheists, agnostics and skeptics who shudder every time religion is mentioned. Most Americans may not share Huckabee's particular faith and values, but very few will be alienated by them. And I have a feeling that most of the ones alienated wouldn't have voted Republican anyway. I think Huckabee would appeal to moderate voters more than Hillary does, and the hard-line conservatives/liberatrians would turn out to vote against Hillary (as opposed to "for Huckabee").

Didn't a poll just come out showing Huckabee in the lead in Michigan? Hardly a Bible-belt state.

19. dogface

dogface Let's Just Pretend

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Poll: Huckabee would lose to top Democrats by double digits

20. PhillyQuakesFan

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because they honestly think that.

21. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No, it's just that we want you to leave your nonsense at home and not lead with it. To wit, evolution is a scientific explanation with plenty of measurable facts to support the body of knowledge. Ah, but the bible, written by a bunch of guys running around the desert 2000 years ago, were chosen by god to write down things as they will be for all time, til the end of time. So if Hucks thinks the world was created 6000 years ago, he also thinks it is going to end soon.

Can you see why sane and rational people don't want some member of a doomsday cult, running the US government and having their finger on the bomb? And we've been given plenty of examples where Huckabee's religiousity has clouded his policy decisions.

22. The Big Ticket

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...ction/election_2008_huckabee_vs_clinton_obama

And you have to remember that Huckabee is still not that well-known to the general public.

23. The Big Ticket

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    I find this type of paranoia amusing.

Huckabee has done a very good job at both articulating his beliefs regarding evolution and highlighting the irrelevance of those beliefs to how he would perform as president of the United States. He never stated that he believes in the literal interpretation of the Old Testament creation story. Huckabee isn't trying to shove religion down anyone's throat. The reason he has talked about his faith so often is that this is what reporters always ask him about. He's even expressed some disappointment about this, saying that he would rather talk about his policy proposals.

And I'm much more comfortable with Huckabee having his "finger on the bomb" than a secular, "rational", trigger-happy freethinker like Giuliani.

24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I think that's working in his favor.

25. The Big Ticket

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    We'll see. That's certainly possible. Depends on how hard the media is going to go after him.