The Midfield

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dr.Phil, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is so many choices now that we have a RM (Dempsey) and Convey fighting for the LM with DMB.

JOB has gotten healthy

LD may be in the midfield because of EJ up front (there will be games with him up front)

So someone will be sitting out the question is who??

The Choices:
    LD
    Beaz
    Reyena
    Mastro
    JOB
    Dempsey
    Convey

2. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    We don't have one starting 11. At some point in time, it's very likely each of these guys will be on the bench.

3. OCKlinsmann

OCKlinsmann Member

Feb 6, 2006
    Newport Beach, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

JOB will come on as a sub in game 1 due to fitness
    Dempsey will sit as well and will come on at 60 min just like Jamaica.
    Reyna and Maestro Mid. Convey and Beas outside....LD behind McBride.

4. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    Agreed with the exception of Donovan. I expect he'll play the entire game, every game. After Donovan, I'd expect Beasley, Reyna, and Mastroeni to get the most minutes, perhaps O'Brien as well if he regains fitness and form faster than anticipated. Convey and Dempsey should both get lots of sub time and perhaps a start. Whoever is the 8th midfielder, presumably will not get much/any playing time unless there are injuries. At least that's how I see it shaping up currently, but we (and Arena) will not really know until after the May friendlies.

5. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Reyna is the key if he can play most likely he is the offensive mid right or wrong you decide. Then if McBride and Johnson are up top that leave Donovan as the right mid wing.

If it is McBride and Donovan up top that leaves Dempsey at the right wing mid.

If Beasily starts and he will he is the left wing mid. I think we need Convey on the field if Arena thinks that he could be our left wing back.

6. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I dont think LD is effective on the right

7. USA4Life

USA4Life Member

Feb 10, 2002
    ----------------Donovan
    -------Convey------------Dempsey
    ----------------Mastroeni

Subs
    Reyna for Dempsey or Donovan (Donovan pushed up front if ahead)
    Beasley for Convey

JOB will be lucky to make the team.

8. USA4Life

USA4Life Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Anyone not fit should not get into the game!
    We have plenty of other healthy guys to do battle with.
    This is not 1998.

9. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    I think the only way that Reyna comes off the bench is if we are winning. He either starts, or will not be coming in at all. I think, if healthy, there is no way bruce leaves him on the bench. This is what I want -

McB ---- LD

Reyna

DMB ------- Convey/Dempsey

O'brien (if healthy)/ Mastro

10. WarriorSoccer

WarriorSoccer Member

Nov 3, 2005
    I used to be totally opposed to playing DMB on the right. I hadn't liked what I'd seen from him on the right side and I figured that I would rather sit Convey than play DMB on the right. But after seeing some hightlights (mainly on the net and 'the World Game') I have like more and more what I have seen from him on the right side. He had a good assist last week making a run on the right, turning the corner and placing it on his team mates foot right in front of the goal. So I have changed my opinion. I would rather see DMB on the right and Convey on the left than Dempsey on the field.

I'm not yet confident with JOB's form, I didn't think he looked good at all in the SuperClassico (can you really call it that after half a dozen games?). He'll probably go as long as he can sprint, but I'm not sure how good he will be. I'd bet Mastro and Reyna are gonna split most of the time in the back, Reyna and Donovan will share time in the attacking mid role, and Donovan will also play some forward.

It's kind of a cop-out answer without giving a definitive formation, but the players are so close in what you get and what you take away with each formation that I think giving a line-up without seeing the practice reports and upcoming games would be a shot in the dark.

11. USA4Life

USA4Life Member

Feb 10, 2002

I agree Reyna is good, but not that far forward as you have it.

----------------McBride
    ----------Beasley------Donovan

-----Convey/JOB---Mastroeni---Reyna

Lewis-------Gibbs----Onyewu-------Cherundolo

12. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling we'll be playing a lot of this 4-5-1ish looking formation.

13. Mike22

Mike22 New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Tampa-->KC, Mo
    (closed eyes, muttering, trying not to fume to noticably):
    it will be situational dependent, it will be situational dependent, it will be situational dependent, it will be situational dependent

i dont like all these new threads like this. not that i am not excited about our midfield depth, skill, etc. but it is IMPOSSIBLE (nearly) to predict who/when/what position our players will be playing in. Bruce Arena will most likely not play the same midfield for any 2 of our 3 first round games. I feel safe making that prediction. Our choice for starting midfield, even for the number of midfielders in each game depends on injuries, playing form in 1.5 months, the opposition, the previous games results, the opponents previous games results, the weather, etc. there are so many vagaries that i wish i understood, but if i did, i would be a pro coach somewhere.

14. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    O'brien played well enough against Jamaica that he's already past all the fringe players. He outplayed Olsen in the same game, how could you possibly leave him off now? He's not going to start unless he regains his fitness but on a 23 man squad you can afford a few guys as subs only if they will help you win games.

15. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Tell that to the Mexican team he played against in Dallas. The left side of their defense still doesn't know what happened to them, what, a year and a half later. He is certainly capable of being effective. That dominant night proved it.

16. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I don't see the Olsen vs. JOB roster battle at all. If JOB can't go to Germany for some reason, this is Noonan's chance, I think.

Olsen is cover for Mastro (and for practically every midfield position) and I think Benny goes at this point.

So it's Donovan, Beasley, Convey, Reyna, Mastro, Dempsey, Olsen, JOB (Noonan if JOB can't go or Bruce goes with 9 midfielders).

KZ and Klein have flopped, Ralston re-injured himself, Noonan is ultimately Bubblicious.

17. avhj

avhj New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Ann Arbor
    As others have said, it will depend on the situation. I do think any starting midfield, at least against the Czech Republic and Italy will include Mastroeni and Reyna. Donovan will be there or at forward (I really don't know right now). It is pretty likely that Beasley will start, so the starting line-up will vary but probably feature a few players as much as possible. JOB's form will affect whether Landon plays in the midfield or up top, and Convey and Dempsey will be first off the bench and maybe the 4th starting midfielder, depending on the form of Beasley and JOB. Regardless, every game in our group is going to be a battle in the center of the pitch.

I think Olsen goes as the all-use backup and possibly late game spark if we have injuries. Zavagnin isn't as good offensively (not saying much) and doesn't have the immediate impact Olsen's energy can bring, and Noonan doesn't have the defensive prowess to fill in at DM.

18. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't sit:

Donovan
    O'Brien (in form)
    Beasley (not the guy who played against poland)

that leaves...

Dempsey
    Mastroeni
    Convey
    Reyna

they will fight it out for the last spot, or hopefully two spots... which i think would be best since mastro, dempsey, or convey on in a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 would probably be better than GAM in a 4-4-2.

if we play 4-4-2 i'd take mastroeni for the last spot, if we play 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 i'd take mastroeni and dempsey.

19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think JOB starts the first game and depending on how good he is as a sub he starts (or does not start) the 2nd and third game

20. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the upcoming friendlies will probably decide whether he starts or not.

21. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Maybe not but he is not going to be on the bench I assure of that. So if that is an open position on the field he would be there any way.

22. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    You actually think Reyna will ride the bench if he can take the field? Think again

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yup.

Though I believe Donovan and Mastroeni will log closest to the full
    minutes.

24. CincoDmayo

CincoDmayo New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    MFin CLEVELAND OHIO
    There is no way Beasley sits. If he can walk, he starts. And on the LEFT!

Pretty much the end of that discussion IMO.

25. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the way Convey has been playing you cant just give Beaz the spot anymore