The Middle Class Blames every one but themselves

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by DoctorD, Aug 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What could possibly go wrong?

2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nothing!!! We know that we can trust the invisible hand of the market to do its magic!!!

xtomx repped this.
  3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3503 ceezmad, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Subprime mortgage at its peak was 25% of the mortgage market, about 600 billion.

You can see how they exploded in 04,05,06.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Subprime_mortgage_originations,_1996-2008.GIF

18 billion per year, is a very small percentage of the over all mortgage market, but it is worth watching.

People that should not get loans to buy houses, getting loans anyways is not a good idea.

At the end it is the tax payers that are left holding the bag.

This part says it all about how investors are feeling about the future of the stock market.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, no housing mortgage thread or Subprime mortgage thread.

This is good news for the middle class, and they should congratulate themselves.

There may be a problem that does feed into inequality, you need good credit to get a loan.

Student loans are increasing as a percentage of house hold debt, but credit card debt is improving.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...g-americas-household-debt-burden-today-overa/

I just read the article and wanted to share.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Middle class have a fair pandemic compared with the poor. But the rich get yo enjoy vacation homes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/27/business/economy/coronavirus-inequality.html

For about $80,000, an individual can purchase a six-month plan with Private Health Management, which helps people with serious medical issues navigate the health care system.

Such a plan proved to be a literal lifesaver as the coronavirus pandemic descended. The firm has helped clients arrange tests in Los Angeles for the coronavirus and obtained oxygen concentrators for high-risk patients.

“We know the top lab people and the doctors and nurses and can make the process efficient,” said Leslie Michelson, the firm’s executive chairman.

———————

In New York, well-off city dwellers have abandoned cramped apartments for spacious second homes. In Texas, the rich are shelling out hundreds of thousands of dollars to build safe rooms and bunkers.

And across the country, there is a creeping consciousness that despite talk of national unity, not everyone is equal in times of emergency.

“This is a white-collar quarantine,” said Howard Barbanel, a Miami-based entrepreneur who owns a wine company. “Average working people are bagging and delivering goods, driving trucks, working for local government.”

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My son said the same today. Manhattan has the lowest infection rates in NYC. The Upper East and West sides the lowest in Manhattan. My son's friends are the elite. He doesn't know anybody, I mean not one, who goes into work now, and he also doesn't know one who is worried about layoffs.

I guess this doesn't quite fit into the middle class thread, because his friends are not the middle class experience, and the real difficulties are with the working class rather than the middle class. Those are the people in real trouble, not just with having to go to work mostly, if they have work, through public transit, but also likelier to lose their jobs, and be less able to isolate due to cramped quarters and lack of money,

Auriaprottu, crazypete13 and dapip repped this.
  7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We need guillotines and auditors:

usscouse repped this.
  8. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Looks like in NM they like to audit the Navajo...

9. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That should dispel the myth that Natives don't pay taxes (they can avoid state if they live and work exclusively on Rez / Trust land) but it won't

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the south gets more audits than the north.

Is that because the south tends to cheat more?

upload_2020-10-5_18-51-25.png

upload_2020-10-5_18-52-59.png

The 2 maps seem weird, the north seems to have lots of counties between 6 to 8 audits per 100K, while the south more like between 7 to 10 audits.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  11. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    The vast majority of those northern counties are a) rural/small city and b) very, very white.

If you look at the darkest bands in the south, it’s a very close fit to the “Black Belt”

12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    xtomx repped this.
  13. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If those workers were paid $7.25/hr, then Amazon could have instead given raises to 17 of them to the $15 threshold instead and effectively bought off the union leaders. Would've cost the same amount of money.

dapip repped this.
  14. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    True. But then that would encourage the other warehouses to unionize. And we can’t have that. They might need to charge an extra few cents for my shipping.

15. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heaven forbid.

dapip repped this.
  16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Poor Jeff’s intergalactic dreams might get crushed.

NORML repped this.
  17. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I know my rights. As an American consumer, I am guaranteed free shipping. It’s in the Constitution right after the part that says I can’t get cancelled for using racial slurs.

luftmensch, crazypete13 and dapip repped this.
  18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Who knew Fiscal conservatism is bs:

taosjohn repped this.
  19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So I don’t have to worry about buying that 500k house, as long as I can pay 3k per month?

20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Kroger rather give up stores than raise wages. Are they going to leave the US when a $15 minimum wage is approved?

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Priorities!!

xtomx and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #3522 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    We need a light, nimble jet to replace the F16. Sooooo let's make it heavier and full of complicated gadgetry

23. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So we can defeat Al-Qaeda by selling it to the Saudis while our biggest threats are domestic terrorists and cyberspace interference...

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m questioning that tweet. If I’m reading it right, 1.7 trillion?

google says our current TOTAL defense budget is a trillion less than that.

25. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    This from Project On Govt. Oversight....

When all the operating costs for the planned fleet are calculated across the expected 50-year lifetime of the program, the American people will spend an estimated $1.727 trillion.

luftmensch, xtomx, dapip and 1 other person repped this.