The Michael Bradley thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ttrevett, Jun 11, 2015.

1. GreedyG

GreedyG Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Yes, I do. What don’t you understand about me questioning your statement that he’s the soccer equivalent of a gym rat? He’s slow and unathletic. Is he in good shape? If he is, it doesn’t translate into mobility and skill.

He’s terrible for the MNT now, for multiple reasons. He has some good long passes, but that’s about it. His social distancing style of defense is brutal, and he screws up the positioning and responsibilities of his teammates.

I’m watching him play right now, and he’s terrible. He’s slow and his footwork is brutal. Hard to believe he’s only 33. He plays much older than that.

Gacm32 repped this.
  2. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    You clearly don't. Gym rats are people who spend all their time in the gym, working on their game, practicing, watching tape. That's who Bradley is.

He's slow now, from a lot of miles and injuries, but he's always a been a guy consumed by the sport.

Gacm32 and onefineesq repped this.
  3. appwrangler

appwrangler Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 18, 2018
    Finally something we can all agree on.

Perhaps not the meaning of “consumed”.

GreedyG repped this.
  4. GreedyG

GreedyG Member

Dec 9, 2020
    #4554 GreedyG, Apr 17, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    You should have just stopped at “people spending all their time in the gym”. The “working on their game, practicing, watching tape” is not part of being a gym rat. That’s just being a hard worker.

Gacm32 repped this.
  5. GreedyG

GreedyG Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Right. Born and raised in the sport, and so consumed that his ego won’t allow him to accept that the NT is better without him now.

6. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    The current group has a completely different culture. It remains to be tested in the heat of battle. But out of an abundance of caution I would keep their exposure to Bradley to a minimum.

Girt and GreedyG repped this.
  7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Jones being certified psychopath doesn't preclude Bradley from being toxic alpha male. One of them will end up in jail and another in USSF.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  8. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I tried to avoid the subject of Klinsmann. But I generally agree with what you said.

As for Bradley/Jones, I'm not going to go back and research past incidents, but my impression was Jones was actually a better locker room fit than Bradley. They both had issues that could be characterized as toxic alpha male, but in different ways. I would say Klinsmann/Jones/Bradley was one hell of a toxic brew. Cheers.

Gacm32 repped this.
  9. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally can't believe that a 33 year old hasn't recovered Wednesday to Saturday!

On a serious note, Armas isn't using his subs as I would.

10. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    The current group has elements that:
    * ‘15 U20’s:
    beat Colombia despite being outplayed surviving a late PK in the process in the R16’s. Followed that up by taking the eventual champs to PK’s despite having lost all their paltry attacking talent to injuries.

*’17 U20’s:
    Came back 3 x to tie Ecuador, beat favored Senegal, made the quarters and despite being badly outplayed pushed runner up Venezuela to Extra time and pull a goal back after being down 2-0.

‘19 U20’s:
    Lost to eventual champs Ukraine on an egregious defensive error by Dest, came back to beat Nigeria, beat Qatar and tourney favorite France and came back to equalize before falling to Bronze finishing Ecuador on a near but not offsides flukey goal in the quarters.

I know some people laugh off the U20 World Cups (and U17) I obsess over, but success in those tourneys 20+ years ago foreshadowed the successes we saw ‘01-‘14 (and especially ‘01-‘10) and the fact that we’ve got these guys as a part of those qualifications and tournament performances:

‘15:
    Steffen
    Miazga
    EPB
    Arriola
    Acosta
    CCV

‘17:
    Adams
    Sargent
    LDLT
    EPB
    Ebobisse
    CCV
    E. Williamson

‘19:
    Dest
    Richards
    Ledezma
    Soto
    Llanez
    Weah
    McKenzie
    Pomykal

Thats 5-6 of our XI plus a bunch of our 23 and 35 level depth and McKennie was a ‘17 call up largely denied by Schalke (they wouldn’t release him until the tourney was already underway).

To me anyway, they’ve been tested in a lot of ways, Club performance in European cut throat atmospheres, qualifying for youth tourneys and youth tourney performances and have largely passed all those tests. Yes the hex or Ocho is another animal but I don’t think they’ll be intimidated. Respectful yes, but not intimidated. They shouldn’t be intimidated either. They are better, period, and they should go out there and prove it just as they have before.

11. GreedyG

GreedyG Member

Dec 9, 2020
    I don’t believe two 90 minute matches in a week, with daily practice, is too much for an elite 33 year old athlete. I guess for Bradley, it is. Which goes to my previous point that his physical age is much more than his actual age. I can safely say I was more of an elite athlete at that age and beyond. I’m not arguing with whatever caused his decline, but his decline is what it is.

I don’t care about how he performs for Toronto. I just hope he never plays for the NT again. It does bad things to me when I have to watch him do that thing where he runs towards a player with the ball, stops about 6 feet away, hunkers down, and does nothing. Drives me nuts. I don’t understand how an elite athlete has such slow and terrible footwork.

Gacm32 repped this.
  12. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    He never had good lateral quickness. Losing a step is a bigger deal for that kind of player than for one who is quick relative to his peers.

13. VictoryWePredict4Thee

VictoryWePredict4Thee BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 4, 2019
    Why does Michael Bradley have his own thread? He was mediocre in his prime.

14. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Nepotism obviously. He should earn a thread on his own terms like national team legends Efrain Alvarez and Duane Holmes.

Bajoro, sXeWesley, majspike and 3 others repped this.
  15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Really?

16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley started this thread.

VictoryWePredict4Thee repped this.
  17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BOB Bradley started this thread :mad::mad::mad:

Ironbound repped this.
  18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he's working on his coaching badge.

19. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I am mentally prepping for the awesome shitshow that is going to occur in 10 years when Michael Bradley is named manager of the USMNT.

20. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    He might end up being one hell of a coach. He played at a pretty high level, was a hell of a player for a few years. Europe, MLS, World Cup, etc. Father was a coach. Not a bad pedigree to turn into a very good coach.

Mr Martin, Mike03, Magikfute and 11 others repped this.
  21. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care how good a coach he is, I just want him to start Bob's grandson every game.

22. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Don't doubt it, but that's not what anyone will be talking about on whatever social media platform we're using in 2034. I'm here for the shitposts >: )

Yes, like that one!

sXeWesley repped this.
  23. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he goes that route I hope he goes to work his way up in Europe and not jump in as an MLS coach on name before learning the ropes. I think he’d be served well to join someone’s staff and see how it’s done first.

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody stop me from starting the thread right now. Calling my shot....