The Michael Bradley thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ttrevett, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Meola. Made sure he could retire with exactly 100 caps.

TimB4Last repped this.
  2. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Oh yeah, I remember that game (against Jamaica I think?)

I remember them highlighting the 100 cap achievement prior to the game, but did they announce before the game that would be his last appearance?

3. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    :ROFLMAO:

Not very sentimental are you? Lol.

You can say that, but to most fans, their fandom is built of moments, with family and with the team. For me, the USMNT is miracle qualification in 1990 thanks to the wonder strike against T&T (not so funny how that went full circle) and doing a good job against Italy in that cup, the shock victory over Colombia, the 2002 heroics and the idiocy of '98, it's the heroic last stand against Italy in '06, and the stunning run to nearly a first place finish at the Confed Cup in '09, alongside the heroic run of comebacks in back to back to back games at WC '10 and Algeria, and the insanity that was the choke against Portugal followed by Howards last stand against Belgium a week or so later, it's the choke at Couva and the promise of tomorrow. The USMNT is Dempsey's shakey back and forward head taunt, its the battle highlights of US vs Mexico in the 1990's through 2010ish, it's a bloodied McBride still fighting against Italy, it's Wynalda's confidence, and Donovan's youthful exuberance in '02, and Lalas's stupid goatee in '94, the elbow to Tab's head, Bradley's exquisite finish against Slovenia, the stolen goal Edu scored, the heroics in the U20's the last few tournaments. I could go on and on and usually do.

That's why a curtain call isn't a big deal, he helped provide us with some fantastic memories over the years, if he can get a curtain call as a thank you for the good moments, that's fine, and if it doesn't happen, that's also fine, as it usually doesn't happen in the first place in the international game for us.

4. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    How does it help me, for what I want as a fan? It doesn't.

How does it hurt? It might not, maybe it doesn't. But there is literally no way it does anything to assist. Pulisic ain't gonna be better or try harder cuz Bradley had 10,000 people clap for him in the 88th minute. It's more likely to waste the game, with the focus being on nonsense celebrations rather than trying to find a breakout January camp member.

It's trivial either way, I'd agree, but celebrating past players gives me absolutely nothing as a fan. That is not something I care about.

5. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Starting a guy for 15 min during the January camp friendlies isn't going to stunt the development of anyone good enough to matter.

6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Yeah, I remember it being made clear that that was going to be the end for him. And this is from the Chicago Tribune before the game:

For his contributions to U.S. soccer, 37-year-old goalkeeper Tony Meola has been included on the roster for Tuesday's friendly against Jamaica (6 p.m. ESPN2) so that he can earn his 100th cap. Meola heads into his swan song having appeared in 99 national-team games, his last in May 2002.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2006-04-11-0604110182-story.html

Patrick167, 50/50 Ball and KALM repped this.
  7. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    The WNT is also a program almost wholly run by and for the women of the WNT. It's not remotely the same program in any respect.

sXeWesley, Editor In Chimp and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  8. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    World's Best Fanbase.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  9. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...n-san-francisco-49ers-weaponized-team-history

I disagree with you, like 1000%, and honestly, I don't care about the Bradley side of it, but I absolutely think it matters, the history of the program, the legacy players carry on, it's a big deal. How many times have posters in here talked about the missing element of the team the past decade was precisely part of that carried legacy, even as the team slowly fell apart, that it retained, that you could see, the grit, the fight, the hard to beat, ugly to play against USMNT of the 90's and aughts? The kids carried that on with their U20 WC Quarterfinal runs. Some have trashed that QF loss issue, like it's defining, whereas I celebrate both the runs (only 8 teams make it that far, and no U20 national team has done it 3 straight times other than us), and the fight (they were outmanned in all 3 quarterfinals and yet came back and fought in all 3 of them, forcing penalties in one, forcing another to extra time, and fighting to the last in a third, and all 3 opponents they lost to made the medal stand, there was no shame in that, and that's part of the reason I was/and am all in in this current iteration of the USMNT, they have shown that fight, and that grit and that never say die attitude that seemed so lacking for so much of the previous decade with the senior side.

That article shows how Shanahan has made a point of connecting young players on the niners, rookies in particular, with the history of the program and the proud legacy that exists with the team, and the players have connected to it. I don't think it's a coincidence that they made a run to the super bowl in '19, and that despite being completely annihilated by injuries on a scale I don't know if I've ever seen, they still fought to the very last of a lost season in '20. I want that same kind of fight, that grit, and toughness that we used to have, combined, and blended with the talent we have. I think connecting to your history matters in building those bonds, in being proud of playing alongside your brothers and carrying on a tradition that may not carry the trophies other programs did, but did more with less than most programs the world over during that '90-'10 window.

I think it's really relevant, and I definitely think it might turn off players, even dual nationals, when they see players that wore the crest, and fought for that legacy, dumped on and ---- all over as they left the stage for the last scene (which is probably why a point someone made about avoiding a situation w/potential for boos and cat calls might make a curtain call match a really bad idea).

I understand, kinda, what you're thinking, and saying here, and part of it I agree with, on the other hand, Bradley's rep has gone downhill a ton over the past several years, and a curtain call salutary type match for him, or Jozy or whomever might do more harm than good, so it probably does make sense to just move on. I just think the idea that the history is irrelevant, and the only thing that matters is what's in front of us is total --------.

10. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Thomas Dooley got a send off match against Chile in 1999, though Im not sure it was advertised as such. I just remember the announcers (maybe keough and seamus?) mentioning it throughout that it was his farewell match.

Marko72 repped this.
  11. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Did Shanahan bring back Steve Young last year to play the 4th quarter of their 4th preseason game?

I'm not saying cut em completely. Give em a plaque at halftime, have hall of fame ceremonies, play a retiree 7v7. Possibilities are endless, and only limited by the imagination.

Just keep these fogies off the field in games of consequence. And don't tell me a January friendly isn't useful.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armas pushed Bradley forward last night and he looked like a much better player.

His second biggest weakness is that he can't defend, his biggest weakness is that he thinks he can.

butters59, majspike, nobody and 5 others repped this.
  13. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did look rejuvenated. I wonder if he can keep it up. I’d be shocked unless he went to the Roger Clemens rehab school.

Three and Three and xbhaskarx repped this.
  14. jazzhands

jazzhands Member

Feb 9, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Also. Is there a better World Cup Qualifying goal than Bradley's bomber at the Azteca?

MPNumber9, Three and Three and gogorath repped this.
  15. appwrangler

appwrangler Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 18, 2018
    My favorite part of that goal was the research. Very impressive that he had studied and observed they tended to do that soft pass and he had a chance to go for it.

Three and Three and gogorath repped this.
  16. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    says you and the cover-up fan boy inner-circle but not insiders who had honor and integrity. They disagree with you.

17. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    is there a worse pass than the one to clark in the 2010 World Cup? When he then jogged back like a entitled prince? Very impressive.

adam tash and Three and Three repped this.
  18. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Oh somebody please tell me how amazing Bradley was at the 2010 World Cup and 2014 World Cup and 2018 World Cup.

19. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    What research did he do for Jogging vs Colombia while wearing the captains armband?

adam tash repped this.
  20. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Actually, thats exactly what it is.

And you will notice nobody talks about Bradley, if nobody talks about him. That was the best case scenario.

But, then how can they justify making Michael Bradley the USMNT coach for the 2026 World Cup even with zero coaching experience? by continuing to brainwash everyone of his planted qualities like:

"Leadership" & "Best 11 of All- Time"

21. GreedyG

GreedyG Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Noooooo!!!!!!! Social distancing is for pandemics; not for playing defense. He’s terrible now, and I really don’t like what happens to me when I watch him. Just stop with that nonsense. No no no!!

No!

22. GreedyG

GreedyG Member

Dec 9, 2020
    He’s the equivalent of a gym rat for soccer? He plays like an old man. Plays much older than 33. Plays like he’s 43.

adam tash and Three and Three repped this.
  23. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It was awesome. But to what did it lead?

24. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    He only had to put his foot through the ball in the Portugal game. But the savvy field rat tried to research his way to the whistle.

25. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    You don’t know what a gym rat is, do you?