The Michael Bradley thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ttrevett, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    While I certainly do agree that Bradley was/is very underrated, midfiled has always been one of our relative strengths and I'm not so sure where he would rank. A partial and incomplete list that comes to mind is Mathis, O'Brian, Ramos, Reyna, Harkes, Jones, Donovan, Dempsey. Does he start from that group? I'm not so sure.

2. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    To take it one step further, I will never hold it against ANY player that does not retire before their sell by date (from club OR country).

If you get sick from eating some meat, or sushi etc that was sold after the sell by date, do you blame the meat or the store manager?

3. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a 3 man mid he prob makes in it, he had euro success, mls success, long career with big moments for USMNT, captain, etc. Jones should just on talent, it was short lived but dude was likely our best ever CM.

I’ll take heat for that but dude was incredible. He had some meh moments for sure and wasn’t the same in his old age but on his day he was immense.

Donovan and Dempsey would fall into the wing or striker space.

Three and Three repped this.
  4. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    And being a horrible leader and, at times, breezy and downright oblivious with the national team.

5. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    This is kind of funny and sad to think about in some ways. A lot of the '94 WC heroes went out in a hail storm of mutual recrimination and hate following '98, Reyna and McBride went out with a whimper, torn ACL on the one hand, humiliating Olympic disaster on the other (not McBride's fault, but still), Donovan was kicked in the cojones by Klinsy, then given a fake goodbye, Dempsey hit the post and then moved on to go fishing after heroically and somewhat insanely, playing after major heart issues, no reason we can't have Bradley's career end in a similarly obtuse or sad fashion as the rest.

Otoh, if people are bound and determined to get a farewell in the way Donovan kind of did, you can always throw him on the '22 Cupcake roster so he can limp around for a half hour against Panama's C team. I have no issue with that, especially since it's a Winter World Cup instead of a summer one, so the necessity of getting the most of those roster spots isn't as critical as it might normally be, of course there will be more qualifiers to be played, so it might not be the best idea. I honestly don't care.

Marko72, Patrick167 and Three and Three repped this.
  6. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I wouldn't give Bradley or anyone a farewell half hour against Saint Pierre and Miquelon's D team.

The national team is business. And if our dreams are realized, all of our players will someday be big splash farewell-worthy; the team would never get anything done because it would always have to accommodate clowns desperate for a sentimental send-off.

Give Bradley a Dunkin Donuts gift card at halftime, shake his hand, and tell him to get back to his seat. That goes for everyone.

My response is, of course, directed to the "bound and determined."

yurch10 repped this.
  7. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    See, I actually would have zero issue with someone like Bradley or Dempsey or Jones receiving a token start and 20 min during a Camp Cupcake game as like a good-bye send off. It kind of sucks that Dempsey's last NT game was Couva, and while I stand by my opinion of late-career NT Bradley, doing sendoffs like that is a nice way to say thank you for a body of work and allow the fans a chance to say goodbye properly.

Mahtzo1, Three and Three and Patrick167 repped this.
  8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Sure. If Bradley doesn't mind not getting called; but being asked during every interview whether he will be, then more power to him. But I don't believe it always the player's choice. I think managers have the conversation with the player and they give them the chance to retire.

9. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    National teams already have too few opportunities to develop, why waste an opportunity to trot out somebody for a standing ovation? As the previous poster said, give him a plaque at halftime or something. Nobody cares to see anyone on the field playing. What does that matter, versus getting a chance at halftime for some applause?

You're basically wasting a 90 minute match, of which you have how many, maybe 10, a year?

No thx. Focus on improving the team in the few chances available. The old guys can get a video, a handshake, a trophy, whatever they want, at halftime.

nobody, Three and Three and Patrick167 repped this.
  10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Theoretically fine, but Bradley, and for that matter, Altidore, can't have a nice goodbye because too many fans hate them. There's no point. At best it will be a mixture of boos and cheers.

I can't blame Bradley for not retiring; he gets bashed for not quitting and yet not being enough of a competitor. But this is why other sports have functioning hall of fames -- give time and space and a day for just the fans of the player to recognize.

11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Jozy is a weird one who some actually hate.

People just don't want Bradley in the NT anymore. That is why I think if he formally retired, his "approval rating" would skyrocket. Right now he is a symbol of failure, nepotism, and MLS favoritism. If he is retired, he is just a former great player still fighting the fight in MLS.

dams and Three and Three repped this.
  12. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I also don't want to see a hierarchy of former players formed. "Joe got the send-off, but John didn't." We don't need that.

gogorath repped this.
  13. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I'm actually curious now, have we ever done that sort of testimonial match for anyone other than Donovan?

I mean a USMNT friendly where the main draw is that a player is officially retiring and this will be his last appearance?

14. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I feel like Mathis got one? I have vague memories of him getting like a framed jersey or something when he was subbed out?

15. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley became the scapegoat for Klinsmann's failures, even though he was Klinsmann's captain. o_O

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  16. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    See I think it would be comedy gold to have like Gyasi Zardes piss and moan that Altidore got a testimonial.

17. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone still on the nepotism thing is hopeless.

Marko72 repped this.
  18. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Dooley, if my memory serves.

19. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Not from 2008...

But Berhalter was Bradley Sr.'s disciple. Whether true or not, the perception is there and is fueled by the Jay Berhalter hiring his brother and such. If you don't see any of that as fueling some of the Bradley hate, then you are hopeless just like me.

20. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    It has happened a lot on the USWNT side.

21. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I feel like if it were announced as a testimonial, or made clear that it was, there'd be very little chance of negativity. I think people would be able to separate frustrations from respect and give guys a proper send off.

I'm not sure about Jozy, really, but Dempsey should have had one and Bradley should probably have one. It's a nice tradition to start.

Patrick167 repped this.
  22. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Especially since we have a non-FIFA camp every year that would be a perfect place to do it.

I wonder if it was offered to Dempsey and he didn't care.

Howard got a little ceremony during the USWNT send off game at Red Bull Arena. So, someone thinks of these things.

If we are worried about people feeling left out, set some arbitrary limit, like 100 caps.

23. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s difficult enough to get international squads together these days then to complicate with a send off. “ What’s your goal during these friendlies coach?” “Well, I’ve got a couple retirees I gotta play and then we’ll see what happens from there.”

xbhaskarx, Three and Three and yurch10 repped this.
  24. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    There is one thing I care about with the US team, and it's succeeding in the World Cup. Getting to the quarters, semis, final, eventually winning it. All of those things.

Anything that doesn't help with that, I simply don't care about. I don't care about the history of the program, I don't care about the caps record or goal scoring record, I don't care about the former players.

I care about succeeding at the World Cup.

Wasting a match to celebrate some old guy doesn't help in that quest, and therefore, I think it's useless. Some might disagree I realize (good for morale, good for the fans, whatever), but I could not care any less.

orcrist, bsky22 and Three and Three repped this.
  25. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Of course, but any Camp Cupcake game going forward is not going to mean much. Never has really. If Bradley had subbed in against T&T as the 6th sub in the 87', that would have put the program back? Even if he started and subbed out at 20', hard to believe that sets the program back.

I do think continuity in the program is important. I don't think they need past it players on the pitch, but watching these players be celebrated has to be motivating and inspiring.

Nobody wins more World Cups lately than the USWNT. They have done this numerous times in the past 20 years.

Editor In Chimp repped this.