The Michael Bradley thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ttrevett, Jun 11, 2015.

1. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    What is a personification of living in the past?

Which player can you count on for a dispossession leading to a goal in our third?

Who has pictures of a certain USSF governing board with cocaine and underaged sex workers?

Who will be the head coach of the USMNT in 2026?

Who’s been a naughty boy?

TOAzer, Namdynamo, chad and 3 others repped this.
  2. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    LOL, you're crazy. Those long diagonals have led to countless goals and even more chances. Imagine our offensive ineptitude if we hadn't had the long diagonals last night?

btlove, TOAzer, USA-Zebuel and 1 other person repped this.
  3. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Well obviously it is CP’s fault.

If only he would have Tanya Harding-ed his double coverage, tied a USMNT player to a leash so that he could have an outlet, and stoically walked off the field when a tactical
    Mastermind deemed him unworthy thus disrupting the carefully woven auras of awesomeness and harmonies for the team Bradley would have been able to thrive in his role instead of being hindered.

I can’t wait till he is the USMNT head coach. I imagine that he will have to coach a USL side for a couple weeks just to appease the doubters. 2026 baby!!!

4. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    @Clint Eastwood really loves Bradley eh?

We don't even know what Greg wants from his #6. Maybe in his system, Bradley is doing a perfect job that's why he keeps playing him. Maybe losing the ball in critical spots (Mexico and Canada game) is okay in his system. It's not Bradley's fault but cb should have step up and gk should have save the goals.

I think we all agree to get new coach in here first and then hit reset button for everyone. Everyone didn't mean to include Bradley.

5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Clint Eastwood
    I respect you as a poster but your logic is just flawed here. Just because the suggestions aren't Busquets level you scoff at them as options to Bradley who has had a poor season and has been poor for the national team for a while now? We play in Concacaf. The guys mentioned are more than reasonable options. I want you to look at the resumes of some of the mainstay midfielders for Costa Rica, Canada, or even Honduras. I mean really there is no need to be such a defeatist about our younger options at the 6. I feel this line of thinking even pervades the federation. It might explain why they refuse to call up some of the u23's (forget the Olympics we need to qualify for the WC).

btlove, yurch10, Namdynamo and 3 others repped this.
  6. UncagedGorilla

Barcelona
    Sep 22, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I think the other point in this is if we don't have a 6 capable of playing well at the mid-CONCACAF level in this system, maybe we need a new system.

And I'll push back on Cameron. I really don't think he needs called up but he absolutely can outrun/athlete Bradley despite being 34.

My list didn't even include Morales and Canouse because they just returned from injury. Morales actually can pass a bit and break up plays whereas Canouse is a true destroyer.

Parks may not be a true 6 but neither is Bradley. At least Parks is mobile and Benfica wants him to be a 6 so they see some potential there. He's had a good season for NYCFC though it has been in more of an 8 role.

Ultimately, the point isn't really that any one of those guys (besides Adams) is the answer or the future at that spot. The point is that saying we have no one else so we should probably just keep playing a guy who clearly can't get it done is unacceptable. We have options not named Will Trapp. We should have been seeing them mixed into various camps since March. The only one we've seen is Jackson Yuell who frankly I knew nothing about until he came in and played the best minutes at the 6 in the Berhalter era. So yeah, I think someone else from my list or other people's suggestions would absolutely displace Bradley and Trapp given the chance.

btlove, Namdynamo, yurch10 and 2 others repped this.
  7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand the fascination with Bradley as a 6 while proclaiming no one else other than Adams is any better. If there's no single 6 then use a 4-2-3-1 formation like a bunch of other teams do. heck it may be the perfect formation even with Adams comes back with Adams - McKennie behind Pulisic. Since Bradley also can't play as a single 6 it kills the rest of the midfield and the CB's who all have to play differently to cover for defensive problems and then there's no one up top to create numbers.

Burr, DHC1 and UncagedGorilla repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Give Canouse his shot, when Morales is injured or just recovering. Bradley is about done, even for TFC he's not doing that well, started the season fine but of late he's reverting to his last season form.

Williams is terrible though. Sorry.

9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    when did you last see Willaims play? He looked good under Sarachan

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  10. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Do you hate your wife this much? For God's sake, give it up already. Stay home for a long weekend. For the good of the National team, let us move on. Please, decline the next callup. Do you want to be remembered as the guy that dragged us down?

Burr and Suyuntuy repped this.
  11. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Is his wife making him play? Did I miss a spousal abuse article [emoji12]

appwrangler repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That was two years and five bad injuries ago.

Why do you think Wagner stopped playing him after the injuries?

13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I’ll ask again - when was the last time you saw him play?

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Palace game, but he only played the last minutes. Barely touched the ball, and they lost. The rivals scored a goal when he was there, too.

When was the last time you saw him have a good game?

Also, if he's as good as you think, why is he in one of the weakest clubs of the Cypriot league?

15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    when he captained the USMNT to a tie vs Portugal as MoTM. Then he was injured for a season and is now just returning from injury.

Who’s to say how he’s playing now? Both you and @Clint Eastwood have opined that he’s bad but have you seen him play this year?

I didnt say he is good - I said he was good but I haven’t seen him play since he’s fully recovered from injury. Given your firm opinion of him, I assume you must have seen him play to be so emphatic. Again, I thought league level doesn’t matter - why is it ok to come to a lesser league like MLS but not to a beautiful island?

USA-Zebuel repped this.
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's impossible to catch a game from the Cypriot league. I'd need to get satellite for it, and that's not going to happen.

At this point I have to use second-hand evidence:

a) Player was not used when back from injury, by coach from his same country of origin, when the team was sinking in the relegation zone;

b) Player ends contract and is unwanted in any decent league, must go to small, weak league to play for a small, weak club.

I'd need to watch him right now for sure, but I'd say the second-hand evidence is quite persuasive.

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    why is it when a player goes to a lesser league like MLS “league level doesn’t matter” but if a player goes to a league lower than MLS, it’s a huge deal?

At least @juvechelsea is consistent in his desire to ignore league level.

what you said is what most poster say about MIx and you want him to get a shot (as do I)

18. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    I would love to see mix in the mix again. He seems like a pretty good dude/attitude and could serve as that senior presence that we lack outside of B-Rad. Deity of your choice knows that this team could use some positive influences

I always thought he looked pretty good considering he was often played out of position. Better option than what we have been throwing out there.

19. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    12 years later and im still right. This was Michael Bradley's team from the moment he stepped onto it. Now the question is how do we go about getting him off it? Because he dosent give a shit about anyone else and their opportunities when he lies about hes in the best shape of his life, when hes slower than a drunk snail.

gunnerfan7 and UncagedGorilla repped this.
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Because MLS is the bare minimum. What is the point of calling guys in leagues weaker than the local one, that has 100+ eligible players, when the local one is weak enough?

The K-league has at least five good teams. Cyprus is APOEL and nothing else. Actually, the K-League is about level with MLS.

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  21. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mikey behaves as either he is unaware he's burning his reputation to the ground [for no good reason] or he doesn't give a shit about burning his reputation to the ground [for no good reason].
    Either option would be just his own private issue.....except for his decision to burn his reputation to the ground by immolating himself on a pyre of what used to be the USMNT.

sXeWesley repped this.
  22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    If league level significantly matters wrt MLS vs lower leagues (and I’m fine with that), why doesn’t it work the other way (vs better leagues)? Yet you and other constantly write about hows it’s not a big signifier.

just be consistent in your logic and not hypocritical in how it’s applied.

btlove repped this.
  23. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Williams has had some long term injuries and will never be the same player again. It sucks but that's the reality.

24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #4149 DHC1, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    I don’t disagree that’s likely the case but who has seen him play? If no one has seen him play, how are posters making definitive statements? Are his injuries really worse than Altidore’s?

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    #4150 puttputtfc, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    From what I understand, yes. I have not personally seen him play but I thought someone from Huddersfield said his injuries were career ending.

I'm sure Williams' comments about the USMNT/MLS relationship won't help him.