The "Messi: the best player in the world. Is it even up for discussion?" thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by jfcule, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #7901 Bada Bing, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    I've the list, from when I watched all the Golden Ball (and other notable performances). Will post it when my evaluation of Messi WC22 is ready. What I remember that Maradona WC86 and Messi WC14 are the most involved performances, when it comes to importance on team goals.

For example

87,5% Messi WC14 4+1+2 from 8 team goals
    85,6% Maradona WC86 5+5+2 from 14 team goals
    73,0% Romario WC94 5+3+0 from 11 team goals
    57,9% Pele WC70 4+6+1 from 19 team goals
    50,0% Ronaldo WC98 4+3+0 from 14 team goals
    50,0% Ronaldo WC02 8+1+0 from 18 team goals

ganapordiego repped this.
  2. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    personally, the only goals i consider valid are the ones where the player dribbles past at least two defenders and finishes with a scorpion kick. naturally, i question all other crude stats out of objective necessity. :thumbsup:

BocaFan repped this.
  3. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    You got to relax your criteria. Because, unfortunately, even without the scorpion kick, when it comes to dribbling WC goals, your idol will never make ANY list. :rolleyes: But hey, I'll start extolling penalty goals from now. How dare I not.

4. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    my criteria is perfect. and my idol is still better than your idol.

5. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Haha! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Sorry to engage. I didn't know you were still an adolescent.

6. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    [​IMG]

7. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    I've got two words.

South Africa

ganapordiego, Cosmin10 and unclesox repped this.
  8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Maybe. I'll have to look at 1994 and 2002 WCs again. Nevertheless, R9 and R11 had great players all around them. In both cases, its debatable whether these were even Brazil's best players for the knockout phase.

If we're talking about the greatest individual performances of WC history, I think a big factor is to what extent did a guy carry his team along the way? That's where the performances by Mueller 2014, R9 in 2002, etc don't really compare to Messi 2022.

ShortyMac and ganapordiego repped this.
  9. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Aren't you making a mountain out of a molehill? What did Messi do in 2022 quality of football wise that merits a comparison with Romario 1994? Except 1 header, Romario's goals were pure art (some were magic), Messi's mostly penalties. In the semi-final, Romario ran through the Swedish defence in the blink of an eye (followed by a goal-line clearance) or in one instance juggled the ball past several Swedes. His dribbling runs against USA when Brazil were down to 10-men early on, and his assist to Bebeto were Maradonaesque, better than anything Messi did football wise. And, Brazil would not even qualify without Romario, let alone win it. So, the carry-the-team argument is spurious. Regarding R9, it is the same in terms of carrying the team. Without him, they almost failed to qualify; however, with him, the same team became world champions. That shows his importance and influence. However, I agree that R9 did not have as many dribbling runs or incredible passes in 2022. Romario 1994 was superior to both R9 2002 and Messi 2022. Celebrate Messi's overcoming of his past shortcomings and becoming a leader, and not capitulating under pressure, him turning up when it mattered. That is a story worth telling future generations. But masterclass of football, his performance was not.

10. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    His goals against Mexico and Australia were masterclasses as were his assists against Netherlands and Croatia. And funny you say not capitulating under pressure like every Joe Schmoe could make 5/5 pressure penalties.

ganapordiego and BocaFan repped this.
  11. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    better stop feeding the troll before it writes another essay

Cosmin10 and unclesox repped this.
  12. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Two of Messi's assists and his goal against Mexico were great. But that's not enough to match Romario 1994. At least three of Romario's goals were superior to Messi's and his assists were on par as well. I still don't see how the overall Messi performance can be described as a masterclass. But as I said, I'll re-watch his games again.

13. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Messi's assist vs Netherland is better than all Romario's assists in his career combined. Cmon, i love O Baixinho but this is so clear.

Romario 94 is great but Messi 2022 is better. I think the final is what separates these two.

If you feel so insecure that Messi is the greatest, then shame on you.

Jpows, Neron Nuñez and Danko repped this.
  14. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  15. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    He also just won his 5th IFFHS Playmaker of the Year Award which is the most all time. Then again the award has been there since 2006.

ganapordiego and ShortyMac repped this.
  16. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  17. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  18. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    I think he selects Yes.

Bringing PSG a CL would be another huge crowning achievement. And if could set a few CL records, it also wouldn't hurt. He doesn't need it but it would add to his legacy.

19. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Comes from a month rest, and is still right away the best player on the field.

There's few records in crabs, like scoring records for nt (-20), cl (-11) and official career (-15).

20. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    I think the rest did the GOAT some good. He had a hamstring issue that he played through in the World Cup. He was fantastic with a few passes and scored a nice goal. PSG plays way too conservative though. They have to score a bunch of goals if they want to make it past Bayern.

21. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  22. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's the best timed photo if I ever saw one.

[​IMG]

Jpows, Capt.Tsubasa, Barc@4ever and 3 others repped this.
  23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  24. Bada Bing