The Merseyside Derby

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by bjb7223, Dec 5, 2004.

1. bjb7223

bjb7223 New Member

May 29, 2004
    Florida
    We have Olympiakos. But I am still thinking about this game already.

The bluenoses have had a good start but we have owned them at their place. Including the thrashing last year. Kewell's breakout game

2. bjb7223

bjb7223 New Member

May 29, 2004
    Florida
    Kirkland
    Finnan Sami, Jamie, Riise
    ...........Didi Xabi...........
    Nunez............... Kewell
    ............Gerrard...........
    ..........Baros...............

unless injuries force us to make changes.

3. soccer365-old

soccer365-old New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Sony Pictures CA
    I'm gonna get up at 4:30 am to watch this. I think the central midfield battle with Gravesen is going to determine the outcome of this game.

4. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    It's times like this that I hate the ********ing west coast...

5. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    yeap,its going to be a good mathc!!!Its all going to depend on the outcome against Olympiakos!If we win,the players will all be pumped up for this game,full of confidence and in great form!But ,if we lose,then comes the problem!The lads will all be depresed ,and i dont see a positive outcome coming out from a match like that!!

But both teams are in great form at the moment,so it should be a cracking match!

6. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to ask a stupid question (but this won't be the first or last time) but how acrimonius is the rivalry between Liverpool and Everton? From reading this forum, it doesn't appear that the fans are as viciously antagnostic as other derby rivalries. More like I'm familiar with between Michigan and my beloved Buckeyes - serious rivals, but respect on both sides.

7. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    After the match, everyone starts making out...

8. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Key Battles:-
    CARRAGHER----BENT:-Its going to be very interesting indeed whos goign to win this battle!Bent is very,very quick,so carragher has to watch his back,but carragher has been in great form,so i think carragher will win the battle!

Gravesen----Gerrard:-I think who ever wins this battle is going to help his team control the match!Gravesen is great,but i think Gerrard is going to be to hot to handle.Gerrard has been great so far,and im shure hell put another good performance!

Stubbs-----Baros:-I think this is going to be a 1 sided afair!Baros is a top-class player,quick and with alot of skill!With gerrard back,and alonso in the pitch,he should get lots of quality balls up there,so i do see him scoring here!Stubbs is not the quickest out there,so i think baros will definetly dominate stubbs!

9. TruReds

TruReds New Member

Jun 12, 2004
    KL
    Supporterss of both clubs sit together during a match, no separation, no violence... then commute in the same transport, probably drinking in the same pub?

10. bjb7223

bjb7223 New Member

May 29, 2004
    Florida
    April 16th 2001

[​IMG]

Where were you?

11. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    It's more of a matter of pride and being able to give your neighbors a bunch of stick.

12. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Actually, the derby has an historical reputation for being the "neighbourly derby" but in reality it has become increasingly acrimonious since about the mid-1980's. In truth, whilst there is none of the hassle you get at, for instance, the Manchester derby, the atmosphere at the game itself is pretty poisonous these days.

And there is an increasingly bitter undertone in the day-to-day rivalry between the clubs. Everton are known as "the bitters" in fact, due to them still whingeing about the fact that the Heysel stadium disaster deprived them of a European campaign that, according to them, would have been the precursor for a lasting run of glory.

They really don't like us anymore these days.

Having said that, it is still also the case that we all live in amongst each other in this city of ours so only in extreme cases will you get acrimony that spills far beyond the game itself over the long run. But gloating rights are fully and mercilessly exploited.

13. liverbird04

liverbird04 New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    its not a stupid question ,the merseyside derby is often referred to as the friendly derby , we used to be able to sit next to each other and go to the game together ,the FA cup final in 86 was probabaly the peak of this ,when chants of "merseyside" was heard.

in recent years there is no such thing as a friendly derby ,it gets more bitter and vicious every year , the chants ,the abuse are very personal ,its a shame but thats the way it is . I went to the pub last year with a couple of my mates to watch the match in liverpool town centre and there was so much trouble maybe I was in the wrong street ,but there was liverpool and everton pubs facing each other ,bottle getting thrown ,fights breaking out and police charging in the pubs and police horses everywhere ,and one of the lads in my group got beat up by a couple of evertonians ,hardly friendly ,but saying all this it will never be as bad as celtic and glasgow cos you get liverpool and everton supporters in the same families.

14. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some levity, I quote the late George Harrison, "there are three football teams in Liverpool, and I support the other one".

If nothing else the general wit and humour of the native Scouser keeps the acrimony lower than in some other more beknighted areas -- or so I've been told.

15. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The more things change, the more they remain the same.

It was so bad in 1314 that this proclomation by the Lord Mayor was made banning it in the city.....And No! LB. In case you ask.
    And one more...

16. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It was soon copied, like everything else, by the scum.

There still are many lewd and disordered persons in Manchester... :cool:

17. Retribution03

Retribution03 New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    Lincolnshire England
    Friendly,nice,acrimonous?ask Gary Naysmiths leg if its friendly after contact with a Mr Gerrards studs(all 12 of them).
    seriously though this one will have more to it because of evertons excellent start to the season and that liverpool really need to catch them up or get swallowed up into a fouth place dogfight again..or worse.

18. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, now that we're in the UEFA Cup, maybe we can scrape our sh!t together and try to do something in the league.

Or, we can curl up into a little ball and die.

I think Saturday will go a long way to showing us whether this side has the teeth to come back fighting, or if we're going to pack it in and resign ourself to 6th.

19. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, the double-reverse jinx almost never works . . .

20. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    HAHAHHAHA,i guess you wrote that at HT!!!!i guess your question¨showing us whether this side has the teeth to come back fighting¨was answer today ,wasnt it????Great second half performance,but the first half wasnt that bad,its just that again we couldnt score in our early chances(and there goal was from a free kick,not from a defensive eroor,which is good!)!!!Now im very optimistic for this match!!!!The players will be all pumped up for this one!!!
    this is my line-up!
    ---------kirk
    --finnan--carra--hyypia--riise
    ------alonso-----DiDi------
    ---SNP----Gerrard----Kewell
    ------------Baros
    with mellor coming in in the second :-
    1 if we are loosing,then he should come in for kewell
    2 if we are winning ,he should come in for baros!
    YOULL NEVER WALK ALONE

21. bjb7223

bjb7223 New Member

May 29, 2004
    Florida
    Bring On The Blue Noses. I Am Focking Ready

22. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I think Everton will win the Meeeeeeeeeeeersyside derby sonna.

23. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    it was a defensive mistake by nunez for breaking up the wall. if he held his position that ball would of hit him and not the net.

24. lackadaisical

lackadaisical Member

Jul 9, 2004
    memphis
    Yea, sounds like a girly man error from Nunez. I'll forgive him just because Liverpool won.

25. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    yeah, i know,but i ment ¨the back four¨.The four in the back have been very solid alomost the whole season!