The Media Elite After Bush's Triumph!

Discussion in 'Elections' started by IntheNet, Nov 3, 2004.

1. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC, CBS, CNN and ABC better start behaving now! I would suggest each reporter at each station get a dictionary and research "objective journalism" and practice it! Dan Rather: you can leave now...fast! New York Times News Staff: Research the roots of news! That's what America wants! And special thanks to our conservative pundits! Both Sean Hannity and Ann Coulter: We love you! You held the liberals foot the fire during the long contest! Fox News: Thanks a bunch!

IntheNet

2. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was glad to see reporters actually doing research and reporting in the weeks before the election. It was a little late, but hopefully they'll actually do their jobs at the beginning of this term, instead of the end.

3. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your avatar is making me ill.

4. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lost the bet fair and square. I am a man of my word. :cool:

5. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Actually, I found out quite by accident that the media does a worse job than I thought.

Last weekend, my parents were in town. With kids, parents, mother-in-law, wife etc., I was completely removed from my normal media routines. I was limited to watching the 10:00 news, and skimming headlines in the Tribune.

I got a taste of what I am sure many voters saw who are not political junkies. Here is what I saw:

1. not a single mention of the MLS Playoffs.

2. The same damn political story each night. Goes something like this, (video of Bush in shirt with rolled up sleeves saying he won't relent) "President Bush campaigned in Ohio and Florida today telling supporters that John Kerry lacks the resolve to be commander in chief."

3. (video of JFK in a LL Bean mustard yellow coat) "John Kerry campaigned in Florida and Ohio today reminding voters that Bush has made mistakes in the war on terror."

That was it. I truly felt like I had been labotomized.

6. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be the only way to survive the next four years...of course it kinda kills any fun one might have with the remaining years. :rolleyes:

7. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very late last night, I started to surf between Fox News, CBS, and CNN. Kudos to Fox for being the one to quickly and accurately identify that a reversal for Kerry in Ohio just couldn't work. Hours later, Dan Rather was still clinging to those "up to 250,000 provisional ballots." CNN also refused to call the state even though it was apparent provisional ballots wouldn't do the trick.

The other thing that stuck out was just how old those folks on CBS were. I think Leslie Stahl was the youngest person on the show! There's gotta be a shake-up at CBS and elsewhere in the elite media, and they will have to trend more toward the center or Fox News will laugh all the way to the bank.

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Start behaving? Don't count on it. Here is a fragment of today's LA times editorial:

'Bush's close call is proof of his failings as president, which explain how a likeable wartime leader couldn't have assured himself a comfortable victory. Consider his inability to recognize that he lacked a strong mandate after losing the popular vote in 2000 and his refusal to acknowledge unpleasant truths throughout his term in office (starting with the fact that he lost the popular vote in 2000). Whether in characterizing the state of the economy or developments in Iraq, this famously on-message White HOuse has repeatedly opted for Panglossian deception over candor and truthfulness.

Even if Bush prevails, he can hardly pretend that he has been vindicated in his approach. The president had every opportunity to win over the nation during the last four years, and yet he has not dramatically broken the 50-50 stalemate of 2000.
    '

Sour grapes by the LA times?

9. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, try factual reporting. What about that statement is incorrect in any way?

10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reporters are starting to report again, I just really hope that they have the guts to start asking Bush tough questions. He's not running for election again, so you're not hurting his chances. Just ask!

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I guess whether or not he got a mandate is a matter of opinion, but there is no doubt that his party has made gains since he came into office. And what of the statement: 'yet he has not dramatically broken the 50-50 stalemate of 2000'? I think it is incorrect.

2004 vote: Bush 51.4 % Kerry 48.3 %
    That is quite a lead, by recent election standards. In 2000 Bush got about 48 % of the vote, so we are talking a 3.4 increase for the President in the popular vote.

12. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Mandate = Reagan v. Mondale = Clinton v. Dole

An election where the swing of one mid-sized electoral state would change the result is not a mandate. That is not an opinion, it is a fact.

Both sides can actually point to a fairly weak result. Kerry had a president with a major f' up, a bad economy, and he had a ton of money and couldn't win.

Bush was an incumbent, war time president who barely eked out a win.

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Still, to say that a 'close call' is proof of his failings as president seems like sour grapes. Of course it is mere editorial opinion, but to call the winning candidate 'a failure' the day he wins the election is harsh and smacks of bitter partisanship.

14. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    That I agree with. Now, his father was certainly a failure. ;)

15. zverskiy yobar

zverskiy yobar BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 10, 2002
    clinton vs dole... wtf are you talking about.

you lefties really do rewrite history.

in case if you forgot....

49% of the resgistered voters participated that year.. far less then did this year.

And clinton barely won 50% of the vote....so in the end only 25% of the eligible voting population backed Clinton.that is less then supported the president last night.some estimates have the turnout as high as 70%,with his 51% that would equate to roughly 35% of the electorate behind the president.
    Thats pretty ********ing high... as in most years.. even in the Reagan landslides voter turnout was nowhere near as it was last night.

16. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is misleading because you do not understand election mathematics. Almost 10% of the elctorate voted for Perot that election, and you have no basis to claim that these people were not happier to see Clinton beat Dole. Clinton did crush Dole (and Perot) in the only metric we have available - the number of people who chose each as their primary desirable President. And that "25 percent of eligible voting population" claim is true for just about all recent presidents, including Reagan.

(Plurality voting sucks.)

17. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Wait a second, the media had better start behaving or....

Bush will take away yet another constitutional right? The one that provides for freedom of the press.

Other than continue the underhanded tactics of the past 4 years in terms of controlling his message so that it is delivered without opportunity for meaningful opposition or scrutiny, there's really no more than can be done "to" the media. It's not like he's going to start with outright censorship in retalitation for critical stories.

But I'm sure he'd like to.

18. subsnerd

subsnerd New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    honolulu
    Um, the same 70% turnout gave Kerry 48% for 33% of the electorate. A 2% advantage does not a mandate make. What was the spread for Clinton/Dole?

19. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a valid comparison as there was a viable third-party candidate in 1996. Let's put it this way, in 1996, most voters wanted a change in the Oval Office. (Clinton got 49.2% of the popular vote.) In 2004, most voters wanted no change in the Oval Office. (Bush got 51% of the much larger popular vote.) Furthermore, Bush helped increase the Republican representation in both the Senate and the House. I'd say if Clinton had a mandate in 1996, Bush certainly does as well.

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Well, I suppose they'll have to start by submitting everything to John Ashcroft or whoever the new AG is.

The AG can then read each piece and declare it publishable as long as it meets certain standards like hewing to the party line, no criticism implied or otherwise, of any elected official (except those traitors for whom the AG deems criticism mandatory), no criticism of the state, a supreme awe of ALL foreign policy, nothing which incites anti-American feelings, nothing which incites anti-anything feelings of which the AG approves. All things Democratic must be impugned at all times, you can speak disrespectfully of previous presidents, as long as they are the known traitors.

All articles must speak reverently of the glorious homeland and the heroic struggle for its liberation from those enemies of the same homeland known as liberals or sometimes called Democrats. Don't let the name fool you, they are the same. All articles must speak in glowing terms of Liberal/Democratic re-education camps. Re-education is the only way for any patriotic American who worships the homeland. One party rule is good. More than one party in un-American. The second party is always an enemy of the the state.

And that's just the start. The rest of the regulations to follow in a bill called Patriot Act II.

But yeah, the media must 'behave.' It's what all patriotic Americans want. (If you don't want it, you're not a patriotic American.)

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clinton had a bigger margin in both of his elections. :rolleyes:

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This post is the sound of one hand clapping.

How bad did Clinton beat Dole? That's what makes a mandate.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.

Kerry got more votes than Reagan. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I can post stupid irrelevant factoids too.

24. Benito

Benito Red Card

Aug 25, 2004
    "There he goes again" the guy whio thinks he knowit all "Not Very Super" Dave. Heard you wet your bed with tears last night Davey.

Haha

25. Benito

Benito Red Card

Aug 25, 2004
    "There he goes again" the guy whio thinks he knowit all "Not Very Super" Dave. Heard you wet your bed with tears last night Davey.

Haha

Saw Whoppi Goldberg on Regis live the day after the election result in a President Bush win. Funny she finally shut that big ugly mouth of hers said nothing about it. She is appearing on broadway a one women show.

I am sure she will be a sellout. The demo's have nothing else to do now except to go watch her. Have a feeling the show will fold in the next few weeks.

I am sure the Daily show rating now will go shooting through the roof :)