The man wanted in an Orange suit, the search for our next soccer saviour

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by BaritoPutra, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Still cant believe we lost against a Czech 2nd division team!!! o_O

2. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I change the formation in my fantasy team all the time

3. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    It is a bit different in my opinion. When you have 2 CB (let's say Van Dijk-De Ligt) in either 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, if one is injured or got 2 yellow cards, then you can sub in De Vrij and the defense is still ok. When you have 3 CB, if one is injured or got 2 yellow cards, you will put in 1 of Timber, Blind, Ake and you have a weakness right away. I'm not a big fan of Timber or Ake or Blind as the 3rd CB yet (+ I wish not to see any major mistake by De Ligt) in an elimination match.

nurvin repped this.
  4. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
  5. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    I am pretty excited to see how Timber will fare this coming season. From the little that I've seen him playing, I was pretty impressed. Extremely comfortable on the ball, and his defending is quite decent for a 20-year-old (first season at Ajax senior). If he continues in the same trajectory, he would be a strong contender for Oranje NT going forward.

Also, as I've written before in the other thread, the other CB I am looking forward to see making a leap this season is St. Juste. And then there's Boltman. Sure, he could be slow-footed at times, but he can will better in his positioning over time as he gains experience (see: Mathijsen, Vlaar). All are pretty nice options for a third CB if you ask me.

Ake is an enigma, as he's always been. Blind should never be called up again. He's done a good service for Oranje - and should be spared for future agony :p

6. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    I am glad to see Van Dijk is playing again. Not sure how good/fit he will be in September. Does De Ligt's red card mean he will be suspended for the Norway match?
    I reused and modified some of LVG's quotes for this 3rd appointment:
    “Congratulation on signing the best coach in the world.”
    “I’ve signed a contract with the Dutch national team until 2022, so I can win the World Cup"
    "I am who I am: confident, arrogant, dominant, honest, hard-working and innovative."

7. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Louis Van Gaal is, finally, confirmed as Oranje new boss. Danny Blind, Henk Fraser and Frans Hoek (GK) are his assistants.

Three (!!) huge qualifying games next month in a span of one week, against the pack leaders of the group:

Away vs. Norway, Sept 1
    Home vs. Montenegro, Sept 4
    Home vs. Turkey, Sept 7

All are challenging matches for sure... but vs. Turkey is a must-win to balance the previous loss.

A provisional squad will be announced on August 15th, that is less than two weeks).

Hoping to see some new faces to replace the old guards (Stekelenburg, Krul, Blind Jr., Veltman, Van Aanholt, Promes, Luuk de Jong).

8. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    I second on seeing new faces. Probably can add Bizot (30), Klaassen (28), de Roon (30) and even Berghuis (29) to the list of old guards being replaced. There are Malen, Gakpo or call up 1 or more of Stengs, Danjuma, Noa Lang or Kluivert that can be tested up front. Gravenbertch, Koop can get more playing time in midfields. Bijlow or Drommel can be the 3rd goalkeeper. May need Krul for PK if advance to the WC.

9. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Presumably LVG will continue to utilize the 532/352 formation. Some of my early take (I know, I know... the squad hasn't even been announced :rolleyes::p)

In defense, the CB's are picking itself. Virgil, De Vrij, De Ligt are near-lock... with the likes of Ake, St. Juste, Timber and even Botman are outsiders looking in. Plenty of qualified options. I am hoping that Blind will announce his retirement from the NT, that would make the decision is easier for everybody. He does need to watch his heart condition, anyway - life is short! I am banking that LVG can unlock Wijndal's potential. LVG got the most out of the much-less-talented WB's Janmaat, Kongolo, etc in WC 2014. And, this could be a perfect time for Wijndal to break through (just like Dumfries did in the EC), as Van Aanholt is slowly becoming irrelevant (recently moved to Galatasaray).

In midfield... biggest story to watch for me is Gravenberch. Can he make a leap and become a force? He has shown flashes of what he's capable of... though consistency is lacking. An ultra-discipline manager like LVG hopefully can impose the work ethic and intensity needed from Ryan. To a lesser extent, I think developing a secondary playmaker like Koopmeiners would be a decent project. Could be useful against opponents that likes to park the bus and/or when Frenkie is unavailable (injury, suspension).

Attack... would be awesome to see two speedy and shifty strikers, Memphis and Malen, blossoming. LVG already had the template available (see Robin & Robben from WC 2014). My bet is on Gakpo to provide a solid cover. He is one of those position-less attackers who can burn defender with his speed. Lang could be interesting as well. The odd-man out is probably Stengs. He is not fast or deadly enough to lead the line, but perhaps he can find a home in midfield, especially if he has a great start in France league.

10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Boys, where have you been? No manager, Dutch or otherwise does that many changes for there first match on such a short timetable.

LVG may make 2 changes. Like being Donny back and VVD back and drop a the 22nd 23rd man from the Euros to make room. He will either go 433 or 532 so as to use a system, the players know.

Right now, he will focus on simple things he can improve like making the extra pass, running into space, marking better, keeping your head down and following through on a shot, opening your hips to receive a pass and set pieces.

KISS - Keep it simple stupid. It will likely be a kee it tight 532 and go 433 with 25 left for the win.

11. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    What many changes are you referring to?

352/532 has been already utilized, and rumored to be LvG's preferred system going forward. Wijndal, Gravenberch and Malen are already featuring quite a bit, and are part of the EC team. They are ideal and logical choices to replace the oldies Van Aanholt, De Roon, and Luuk De Jong, respectively. Younger, faster, and more talented players are desperately needed - staying with the status quo would be foolish IMHO.

12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  13. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Maastricht.........Maastricht

14. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Between you and Bunbohue, there were 10 players listed. Not all of them are gonna be dropped for the first 3 matches. By the last 3 sure.

16. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    They don't need all to be dropped... just don't play them :p

Kidding aside, here are the ten players mentioned above:

Stekelenburg, Krul, Blind Jr., Veltman, Van Aanholt, Promes, Luuk de Jong
    Bizot, Klaassen, de Roon, Berghuis.

Luuk De Jong is an injury casualty, I think he's probably not going to be fit enough. Then you have bench players (2 veteran GK's, Promes, and Veltman). That's five already on the chopping block that's very logical to cut.

Blind Jr., as I said, should concentrate to club football to preserve his body. Van Aanholt is 30+, just moved to a new club and now in a crappy league.

So there you go... on my account, those seven should ideally be left out.

Berghuis has a hard time playing as a striker in a 352/532 system (no coincidence he was the odd-man out in EC). De Roon.... useful player, but hands-down, I would rather see Gravenberch or Koopmeiners. And then Klaassen - he brings versatility and energy. Maybe these last three will get lucky and, given their experience, will get to keep their spots. Hopefully on the bench, because they are not the three you want to build the team around. :cautious:

17. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Luekeinho will go and so too Steak but Krull stays. His penalty shootout ability is something the U23 keeper can learn from and he is good 3 keeper to have. Jasper goes to number 1.

PVA and Blind stay. Try just played major minutes in the Euro, Wijindal will gift PVA and Ake will supplant Blind but Blind is not gone yet. Klaassen will maybe get dropped but again de Room just played big minutes so he will be in squad. The rest will be figured out between now and the first matches of 2022

18. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    If this team qualifies for the WC and all of those mentioned older players replaced by younger ones by the last 3 matches, it will set up pretty good for the WC run and the next Euro. I will be happy to see that. No urgency to drop 10 right away ( at least 6 to start with, Bizot, Stek, Veltman, Promes, LDJ, PVA)...

19. Pep Guardiola seems to eye coaching a national team after Manchester City.
    Time to contact him and lure him with the idea to be able to coach a promising team (maybe even worldchampions after the LvG trip) from the country that set the standards of modern football and presenting him a team that is also Barcelona like in players and way of play. Send him the dvd with the Orange-Turkey match to convince him.

wilson00 repped this.
  20. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    What’s this? What is one supposed to do with a “dvd”?

:D:D:D:p

DutchFanatic and feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  21. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Guardiola did state in an interview that he would love to coach in the Eredivisie and the Netherlands national team. I would love to see it happen.

DutchFanatic repped this.
  22. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    So the positive results under LVG, do we believe it's down to his tactics, his man management, down to his sheer presence in the way his resume commands players attention or just a soft schedule.

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    All of the above.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  24. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Looking at the recent transfer window and Dutch players active now in EL and CL, 2024 and 2026 will defintely be big and better than what we are witnessing. It may also come down to a more younger and modern day coach.

25. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Also the fact he's not afraid to inject new, young players into the team. Something deBoer never wouldve done

Deadtigers repped this.