The Making of John Brooks

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by cpwilson80, Jun 21, 2016.

1. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did a retrospective of Brooks' development here:
    https://andthenthehex.wordpress.com/2016/06/21/the-making-of-john-brooks/

After analyzing Brooks over the past three years, what jumped out at me is the different types of development:

1) His passing - a strength from day one - is even better than before. He attempted 20+ more passes per 90 minutes with Hertha this past season, and his passing completion increased. He was at 90% passing accuracy on short passing, and - probably even more important for a centerback - was at 63% accuracy on long balls.

He does a great job of avoiding the first line of pressure, and then finding a midfielder with a ball to continue the attack.

2) Qualitatively, Brooks' decision making looks better, particularly around when he should step up and challenge a defender, and when he should hold back. He had some rough, rough errors in his first year with the US, but it looks like those instances are fewer in the Copa America.

3) It's early, but I'm hoping that the displays in the past two games are also reflective of an increased aerial ability.

I've been high on him for a while, but it seems like now Brooks is a definitive starter through Russia.

2. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Well thought through and well researched post -- here and on your blog.

Don't know how many of the regular N&A posters have discovered your blog, but I encourage everyone to check it out & bookmark.

cpwilson80 repped this.
  3. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks man - appreciate it!

It's the first time I did a deeper analysis on a defender. After the research, I have a new appreciation for the positioning learning curve as a last defender at the international level.