The LuCA$H Neill thread

Discussion in 'Aussies Abroad' started by el-capitano, Jul 28, 2009.

1. nathanakata

nathanakata New Member

Mar 20, 2007
    MELBOURNE
  2. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    What the fcuk?

Does he not want to test himself against the best?

The only reason I can think he did this was if David Moyes told him with Jagielka, Yobo and Heitinga all fit, they would occupy the two CB and RB positions respectively...therefore relegating him to the bench.

3. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Moyes didn't rate him, Gala do, Gala offering good money (probably as part of their bid to retain Kewell), Neill's a professional footballer.

The end.

(oh and the Prem hasn't been 'the Best' for a while now)

4. iheartbeer

iheartbeer Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Probably getting more money and I'm pretty sure he would have been benched when the other players get back from there injuries, he'd have to fight for a place to get into the starting line up.

Z, What league in your opinion is the best ATM??

5. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    In the sense of the league attracting the most talented players you'd have to say La Liga.

When Sol Campbell is walking back into the Arsenal lineup and Man City's big signing is... Paddy Viera (not to mention Torres to Spain rumours flying everywhere) you can fairly safely say the Prem is not what it was a few years ago.

6. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Firstly if this is the case then fantastic move by him. It's a WC year and he needs to play. Turkey is hardly a bad league to play in. Harry has had to play CB for Gala so Neil should slot right in.

Also this years Everton = mid table mediocrity. Gala = European spot next year.

Turkey is closer to Asia and therefore easier to play for Oz, especially compared to Moyes (Cahill can get away with more because of how inportant he is to Everton - Neil would find himself permanently benched if he put Oz first)

Great move and lucky he got the chance IMO.

7. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    When you put it like that...im convinced.

It seems like the situation is similar to what I stated in my last paragraph. I wouldve liked to see him stay in England against better opposition and play regularly, however if his move to Gala means he gets regular games, then its the right decision.

8. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Torres rumours, ey?

Show me a link?

Where in Spain would Torres go to?

9. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm fairly happy with the move. Galatasaray are a good team with good coaching staff, Lucas will get plenty of gametime there & will get to play European football next season more than likely.

10. vonni

vonni Member

May 26, 2007
    the dirty south
    I read the same thing that if Liverpool don't qualify for the Champions League then Benitez would be reluctant to sell Torres (as well as Gerrard).

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/808990-torres-and-gerrard-to-go-transfer-talk

But we're getting off topic :p I agree that its a good move for Neill, after all he wasn't doing very well at Everton.

11. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    It sucks that Neill is in this situation - when he was at Blackburn he was an integral player and being courted by a lot of fairly good teams. To see him being run out of a mediocre Everton because he's not even starting quality for them is quite a disappointment.

Going to Gala is not a bad move from his current situation, but when you consider where he was prior to moving to West Ham... how the mighty have fallen. I'm not convinced a few CL games is a good tradeoff for moving to a lower-tier league.

12. iheartbeer

iheartbeer Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's probably better for him and the Aussie NT because he will be playing regularly shame he didn't move to a better team after world cup Blackburn Rover mid way through his West Ham days though...

Same thing will probably happen to Cahill except he'll probably only stay at Everton...

Is it crazy to think he would be a good fit at Manchester United?!? (Cahill that is) I can see him slotting into that team/style pretty well and scoring a few goals.

He would probably only come off the bench though but he would be playing for one of the best teams in the world which he would gain a ton of knowledge and experience from.

13. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    There are lot of positives for Neill (Aust) that outweigh the fact that it's an inferior comp to England.

At least he will be playing 1-2 times weekly in Turkey, whereas it sounded like he was about 4th choice at Everton where he may hardly get ar un when those who are injured soon return.

The biggest positive is that he will be under Dutch coaches at Gal with Neeskens Assistant Coach and Rijkaard as Head Coach. This way he will re-learn to play real football out from the back rather than the long ball safety first stuff in England.

14. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/aussies-abroad/neill-i-was-determined-to-quit-england-293807

15. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Still no club for Neill either......

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1061135/neill-waits-for-right-deal

16. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  17. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Still no official word....... Though all the rumblings have been that he has already signed with Al-Jazira in the UAE.

18. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Hmm. Even though Holger says he doesn't rate the Gulf leagues I can't see such a move putting Neill's spot in jeopardy.

19. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I'm with you on that one. The thing with the gulf leagues is that he can play in a handful of pointless games and a handful of reasonably decent games which include the ACL.

So, in theory, you could say he's gone from the EPL playing 38 bloody hard games down to about 12-14 games in the UAE that he will need to work hard at. Also, playing in the UAE, might just help the national team, he could have some valued input in there.

20. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    I don't think Neill's spot will ever be in jeopardy as long as he keeps playing well for Australia.

Cannot begrudge anyone for wanting a bit of extra cash but we have no reason to drop him if he keeps up his current from of which he has been outstanding since the end of last year after a somewhat poor patch before that.

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  22. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...tes-club-al-wasl/story-fn9kq5n4-1226138711799

23. Kick_tv

Kick_tv Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Exclusive Interview with Socceroo Lucas Neill

Hello All,

Socceroo Lucas Neill sat down with us at KickTV and to chat about recently landing in the United Arab Emirates for Al Jazira. Neill comments on the development of the league, the quality of players, and the UAE's most famous coach: Diego Maradona.

Check it out here on YouTube:
    http://bit.ly/IUT6q2

- KickTV

http://www.youtube.com/user/kick

24. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/footbal...s-for-long-road-to-brazil-20120506-1y6zg.html

25. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    More ca$h for Luca$h.

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/football...tralia-skipper-neill-set-for-al-sailiya-move/