The lounge

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by BlazingHeader, Jul 5, 2005.

1. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Big chance I'll be around somewhere.

2. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Then I'll probably see you there!

3. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
    Sorry I just checked in. Anyway, it is way more nerdy than you think (and I need to correct the ratio I previously mentioned.

Stop here if you dont like mathematics and its place in natural evolution....
    (I'm not kidding) :rolleyes:

The golden ratio can manifest itself in many ways. Essentially though, you need to solve the quadratic equation for the variable theta. In essence, the ratio (as defined by Euclid) winds down to the following:

(theta)^2-(theta)-1=0.

This results in a value of theta equal to the 0.5*(1+5^0.5), which is something like 1.62 (rounded). Thus the golden ratio is 1/1.62.

Now this ratio has some interesting manifestations over the years (a lot of it happened by chance, hence how it applies somewhat to natural phenomena):

One big result is a rectangle whose sides (length to width) follow this proportion. If you subdivide this rectangle into a square and another rectangle (the square is made from the shorter length), the rectangle you will get is actually a new rectangle (albeit smaller) with the same golden ratio no matter how many times you decrease it.

Examples of this in effect include the Parthenon in Athens, and Leonardo Da Vinci's "The Annunciation".

What is also really cool about this is that if you draw a curve from the one corner of the rectangle to is diagonal opposite, and continue with this (along the lines of the smaller and smaller rectangles) you actually get a beautiful spiral pattern.

Examples of this in practice include conch horn seashells and (believe or not) the head of a Stradivarius violin.

The fascinating thing about this ratio is that most of these examples were not deliberately planned - the ancient Greeks called this ratio the most "natural" or "pleasing" to the human eye. So it is rather by instinct that we are drawn and make rectangles, etc. with this ratio.

Anyway, so the math lesson aside, this is what I was alluding to when I asked whether she was of the 'Golden Ratio' - beautiful curvature and most pleasing to the human eye... :rolleyes:

Nerdiness to the max, I know... :D

4. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yeah great story ;)

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

we have Fside tickets for the arsenal match

6. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    that oughta be awesome!

7. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Naughty :D

I have no tickets, I'll probably somewhere around the stadium watching TV.

8. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    yup, it will be sara's first Fside game - i lucked out to see a couple CL matches from that section thanks to a mysterious benefactor :D

hmmm... i wonder if they have any seizoenkaartjes left in there

9. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I'd find it hard to believe that they'd have any left...but who knows, guess it wouldn't hurt to try! You or Sara ought to bring a camera and snap some fotos for us. :)

10. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I haven't been around for a while, but when I was still a frequenter they didn't accept any new people for a while. There have always been waiting lists though.

Thing is that in terms of atmosphere the south end ('f-side') has been pretty dissapointing over the past two years. Only feyenoord games and (big) european games seem to give a spark. But not the way it used to. I think the rise of Vak 410 is mostly responsible for the apathy of the south end. Nobody really seems to care about atmosphere anymore. As you may have noticed there have been quite a few empty spots this season as well.

But at the A'dam tournament there are usually a lot of people present who aren't exactly frequenters, but do make for a nice summer-day football atmosphere. I hope the two of you enjoy, but 'm sure you will.

What exact date is the tournament played btw. I just realized I'm out of town the first weekend of august.

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i can promise sara will have her camera at hand

btw mr. T, the arsenal match is the 29th of july, the bocas match is the 31st

12. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Not THE mr T fyi ;)

Thanks. I'll be around for Arsenal anyway. I doubt I'll make it the 31st though.

13. BlazingHeader

BlazingHeader New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    West of Europe
    Here are links of DJ River who made these compilations. I'm sure you'll find it suiting to your taste. Enjoy

http://hem.bredband.net/b289113/comp_acm1_.htm
    http://hem.bredband.net/b289113/comp_acm2_.htm
    http://hem.bredband.net/b289113/comp_acm3_.htm
    http://hem.bredband.net/b289113/comp_acm4_.htm

Oh, here is the same clip of 'hand&sand art', but without the download time if people have missed it:

http://www.lookatentertainment.com/v/v-229.htm

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Pffffffffffffffft all that Ajax talk again. You know where they come and do their pre-season training (read: holiday) every year? In beautiful Twente, just like Barcelona in the Van Gaal days they stay in the Bloemenbeek Hotel in De Lutte. I guess it's a confidence booster, playing friendlies against the Best De Lutte 11.

15. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
  16. BlazingHeader

BlazingHeader New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    West of Europe
  17. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
  18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I've certainly done my bit to promote San Marco, where are you lot?

Anyway I just read on the VI website that Derksen will present Voetbal Insite with (wait for it) Barbara Barend in the new season!

A triumph for women in football.

19. BlazingHeader

BlazingHeader New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    West of Europe
    Hmm nothing against freckles. Although a little skinny but who cares. As far as her reportingskills. Well we all have our limitations, don't we?

20. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    And a triumph for Ajax in the media, like that's what we needed. :rolleyes:

Yep, I'm back. For a day. :D

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

she's a nice enough girl, but we always argue over lobont :D

22. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I can't stand Barbera Barend... that redheaded monster. The way she looks, the way she speaks... I don't even know her but I can't stand the sight of her.

23. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    One of the advantages of living abroad: no access to dutch commercial TV. I have no clue who she is and it will stay like that.

24. BlazingHeader

BlazingHeader New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    West of Europe
    Nederland op de derde plek van de FIFA Ranglijst. Gefeliciteerd mede-kaaskoppen! Er zullen nu wel meer zure gezichten naar ons kijken, maar toch kleurt het Oranje!

25. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I can't stand her dad but in the framework of international sisterhood I'm going to support her for now. I did like that 'ze komt er nu achter dat er ook buiten Amsterdam gevoetbald wordt' comment by Johan Derksen I have to say.