Review: The lost talents thread: Players who did not realize their potential

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Epitome990, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    I guess for Götze it is what it is. Apart from the Bayern link, there was also some mention of Hertha but sounded like it was lukewarm interest with perhaps negotiation issues. Not sure he would've fitted in there though. Also wonder if his physical conditioning can handle a full season.

I imagine he was lured by having coach Roger Schmidt at PSV along with the German player contingent. Also the prospect of playing in Europe and chance to contend for a league title.

Ger90 and Blueberry_night repped this.
  2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Epitome990 and PierreLittbarski repped this.
  3. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Peter Bosz claims that Götze wanted to join Leverkusen before signing with PSV:

https://bulinews.com/news/6347/mario-götze-wanted-join-claims-leverkusen-coach-peter-bosz

Bayer Leverkusen coach Peter Bosz now claims that the 28-year-old would have liked to come to BayArena before ultimately ending up at PSV.

"He wanted to move to Leverkusen," Bosz told Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, adding:

"But we already have Florian Wirtz for his position. The club have a clear intention of developing him further."

The fact that Götze signed for PSV came as a surprise for Bosz.

"Someone like Mario Götze is expected on the big football stage at a big club. PSV may be a big club, but they are playing in a smalle football country."

Ger90 repped this.
  4. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hard to see Götze here as he actually scored to goal in a WC final, has a few BuLi titles and played in a CL final. I would say he reached his potential, just wasn't able to maintain it. But winning a World Cup = potential reached!!!

Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  5. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    I'd say that Götze is somewhere in between. It doesn't get anymore pinnacle of a career than scoring the WC winning goal. And frankly he could retire today and be a happy man with the resume he has.

But I think what leaves a disappointing mark in his career, is how steep of a decline he had beginning at age 24/25. Makes you wonder if it wasn't for the injuries and physical condition, if he could've reached an even higher level of football.

Ger90, PierreLittbarski and Cris 09 repped this.
  6. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Götze has never played a UCL Final.

7. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Correct, hamstring injury.

PierreLittbarski repped this.
  8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    question would Dortmund have won CL had he been fit? Thoughts.

dips82 and PierreLittbarski repped this.
  9. PierreLittbarski

1. FC Köln
    Germany
    Sep 9, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Bayern activate the release clause a few days before the CL final, unsettling the whole Dortmund squad

The team was still great. But Bayern did unsettle them. With that.

Dortmund could have Gündogan takes Götze's position instead of Großkreutz. And played Sahin in DM role.

I do also draw a comparison to Lars Ricken, the 20-year-old at the time who fired Dortmund to the Champions League title in 1997 against Juve

There's no doubt Ricken was a gifted player, but he was no Messi or Neymar.
    The bar was set too high.

Ricken was considered then as a new "wonderboy", but he couldn't match the extremely high expectations in the following years.

Ger90 repped this.
  10. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Who is the broadcaster of Dutch league in US? I want to see PSV this season...

PierreLittbarski repped this.
  11. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Dutch league is broadcasted by Fox Sports in the Netherlands. I've read that ESPN+ may carry some games in the US. Probably still best to just stream them online though.

dips82 repped this.
  12. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Never exactly a major prospect but this was kind of notable to see.

Former 95-born HSV player Matti Steinmann signed with SC East Bengal in the Indian Super League. He represented the German youth NT on the U15, 16, 17 and 20 levels. And most recently played in the Australian league.

Cris 09 repped this.
  13. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Sinan Kurt signed with SV Straelen in the Regionalliga West at the end of last month. He was clueless for over a year after leaving an Austrian club before.

14. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Ger90 repped this.
  15. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    unlike Goretzka Meyer left Schalke in bad terms with his attitude and $$$ obsession that weren't based on any performances.

players who blacklist themselves usually find it harder to return to said league. Unless he goes to bottom 1BL club, no one else is likely to play him.

Epitome990 repped this.
  17. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    A bid out of topic but sometime I really doubt the IQ and related rationale of football club. Oh, Sancho is an emerging British young winger who succeed at BVB, so all British young winger should succeed - like how Bayern crazy about Hudson Odoi.

The context between Sorltoh and Meyer can't be more far apart. Sorloth is relatively young, and his position is striker. Meyer is not so young with no fix position, a washed up midfielder. Just because Sorloth became relatively succeed at Trabzonspor doesn't mean Meyer will succeed there as well, because... logic...?

Not that I care about Crystal Palace, Trabzonspor or even Meyer, just you know, sometime I really wonder the intelligence or even sanity of football club management

18. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Technically, Sorloth and Meyer are the same age group and they're both born in '95. But yeah it's just a strange decision for Palace. A player they're not using anyways and on the last year of a contract. They're paying him salary to basically do nothing and he'll leave on a free anyways. Could've at least got him off the books early and bring in whatever small transfer value there is.

Blueberry_night repped this.
  19. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Kind of interesting, Richard Sukuta-Pasu has been playing with a club called Seoul E-Land in the Korean 2nd division. Their season is almost over and the club is in contention for a promotion playoff spot and a chance to fight for the spot in the first tier.

Ger90 repped this.
  20. Aderthan

Aderthan Member+

Schwarz weiss essen
    Germany
    Nov 17, 2020
    Reinhold Yabo. Captain of the victorious U -17 German team at the U-17 EC 2009.

21. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Crystal Palace news: January a big month in deciding how bad 2018 transfer was

When Max Meyer arrived at Crystal Palace in the summer of 2018, it was seen as quite the catch.

Here was a German international joining the Eagles on a free transfer only two years after captaining his country to the final in the Olympic Games, with the Independent describing it as 'biggest coups of the summer'.

Clearly, Palace fans will not need reminding about how poorly it has worked out given he's thought to be on wages of around £170k-per-week and The Athletic have issued an update on his situation.

They claim that, with his contract set to run out this summer, the German will be made available for transfer in the January window.

Indeed, he was thought to be in the summer too but there were no willing suitors at the time.

Perhaps it's somewhat ambitious to expect someone to buy him in the New Year sales but, should Palace even be able to recoup a nominal fee, it'd surely be beneficial to watching a man they've invested so much in by way of wages leave for nothing.

The COVID-19 pandemic impacted spending power clubs had this summer, so it'd be interesting to see if more willing takers emerge some months on from the shutdown across Europe.

For Palace, the issue seems to be their wage bill. It's mentioned in The Athletic piece and was also talked about in the Guardian back in 2019, suggesting it's a reasonably long-running issue for the club.

Shifting his wages in the summer will obviously help in that regard but, if they can offer him out to clubs in January at a bargain price, it'd be even better.

After just five goal involvements in fifty-six games for the club, the end is near for Meyer. What happens in January could help the club rescue at least something from their investment.

https://www.givemesport.com/1621866...g-month-in-deciding-how-bad-2018-transfer-was

Ger90 repped this.
  22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ex-BVB talent Patrick Fritsch in an interview: "I didn't expect my career to end" Patrick Fritsch was one of the most promising talents at BVB, but had to end his career at 19 in 2018.

Patrick Fritsch from Borussia Dortmund almost became the youngest German player in the Europa League - just three years later, the central defender had to end his hopeful career at the age of only 19. BVB then caught the 22-year-old. In an interview with SPOX and Goal, Fritsch speaks for the first time in detail about his injury-related odyssey and the physically and psychologically difficult battle against the end of his career.
    https://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussb...upt-nicht-erwartet-borussia-dortmund-itw.html

23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    At Liverpool FC Samed Yesil still dreamed of the Premier League, today he plays with Homberg Regionalliga - and is still happy.

Samed Yesil doesn't think back. “I live in the here and now and am satisfied,” he says. The 26-year-old could show off his past a bit. Which regional league footballer can claim to have played for the famous Liverpool?

The present means fourth league for the German-Turkish born in Düsseldorf, Samed Yesil plays in Duisburg for VfB Homberg. He is currently in good shape and is on a non-relegation place in the Regionalliga West. And that is also thanks to the former Liverpool striker. Samed Yesil moved from Bayer Leverkusen to Liverpool in 2012 Samed Yesil has seen a lot in his career. In 2011 he played for Germany at the U17 World Cup in Mexico and received the Silver Shoe there.

The world of football was open to him, so to speak. A year later, in the summer of 2012, the young man from Bayer Leverkusen's youth department signed a four-year contract with Liverpool. Stations in three other countries followed. Eight years after signing in Liverpool, however, Samed Yesil was delighted that VfB Homberg reached out to him in October 2020 and signed him. The collaboration started off well.

Yesil scored two goals in eight appearances. "Samed is highly talented, very hard-working and always very humble," says Homberg's trainer Sunay Acar. “We are very happy that he is playing for us. He is currently perhaps at 70 percent of his capacity. There is still a lack of fitness. We are working to ensure that he comes to his full potential with us. That would be worth gold for both him and VfB Homberg.

"We have completely different problems than empty stadiums" Samed Yesil with only two competitive games for the Reds Samed Yesil starts again here, Liverpool was a long time ago for him. Twice, against West Bromwich Albion and Swansea City in the League Cup, he was allowed to play for the Reds. He spent a total of three and a half years at Anfield Road, but it was a time with bad luck with injuries. The fact that things didn't go as planned and that he was mainly used in the second team was also due to two cruciate ligament tears in quick succession. “Liverpool was a great time, a dream. But that was once upon a time, ”he says in an interview with this newspaper today.

“When I went to Liverpool at the age of 18, I was a fan - since the Champions League final in Istanbul in 2005 against AC Milan, when Liverpool turned the 3-0 down and won on penalties. On the Playstation I preferred to play with Coutinho or Luis Suarez. Suddenly I was sitting next to these world stars in the cabin. Madness! ”Samed Yesil says that in the first few days he was“ petrified ”. “I couldn't believe it all, I didn't say a word. I just watched her: when she was changing, training, getting dressed. It was all so unreal. " The nervousness subsided over time, but it should not be enough for a great career.

“The injuries set me back extremely,” says Samed Yesil and openly admits: “There were moments when I didn't feel like it anymore. I also let myself go a little. After the cruciate ligament tears I had to struggle with being overweight again and again. " Samed Yesil promises: "I will be heard from" Yesil was loaned to Lucerne FC for a year and a half, and the Liverpool chapter ended in summer 2016. He moved to Panionios in Athens - "a great year in sporting terms". But: “Unfortunately I didn't get a salary for a year. To this day, my advisor Reza Fazeli and the lawyers negotiate with Panionios. " So it was for Yesil, who now lives in Krefeld, back to Germany - to the third division club KFC Uerdingen.

A station to forget, with only four short assignments. After an interlude in Turkey with Ankara Demir, he finally ended up with VfB Homberg in October 2020. And now he is finally happy again.

“I'm back with my family and friends. It's a lot of fun at VfB. I want to get back in shape here, thank the club with goals and attack again. I'm only 26 years old and I can play for many years to come. I know what I'm capable of. ”His ambition is a promise:“ We'll be heard from. ”
    https://www.waz.de/sport/fussball/s...iverpool-neustart-in-homberg-id231048574.html

Epitome990 repped this.
  24. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Ger90 repped this.
  25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Durm making comeback season!!!

Durm consolidates his position - and pulls past Touré
    Erik Durm had to go a long way to finally be able to recommend himself for the starting XI at Eintracht Frankfurt. The former national player moved from England (Huddersfield Town) to the Eagle Bearers on a free transfer in the summer of 2019 and after a long dry spell at the Bundesliga club even had thoughts of saying goodbye. But the latest development should rule out a change of club, at least for the time being.

"It is impressive how he dealt with the situation. He never criticized it and always tried to train well. He really took a tough path and now he is being rewarded for it," said head coach Adi Hütter positive turn. "I also see that it is getting better from game to game. We have gained an intelligent player who can play in different positions," added the coach, who now sees Durm clearly ahead of rival Almamy Touré, who is initially still regularly on the train came. "Almamy Touré also performed very well when we won the games. Unfortunately, he couldn't maintain the level. Erik Durm maintains his level, that's the difference," said Hütter, who was clear about the ranking on the right-wing defense .