Review: The lost talents thread: Players who did not realize their potential

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Epitome990, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I remember him, the LB once played for Bayern. Bayern had lots of potential FB but apart from Lahm, all crash and burn. Kimmich and Alaba not even a natural FB but managed to play much better in FB position. Rau, Bjorn Kopplin, Andreas Gorlitz, Christian Lell, and I'm sure I missed few names.

Ger90 repped this.
  2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  3. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    98-Harenbrock hasnt made progress in years.

due to injuries, his injury history over past 3 years.
    19/20 Trainingsrückstand 05.08.2019 11.11.2019 98 Tage 17[​IMG]
    18/19 Kreuzbandriss 28.01.2019 05.08.2019 189 Tage 16[​IMG]
    18/19 Trainingsrückstand 11.09.2018 01.01.2019 112 Tage 16[​IMG]
    17/18 Kreuzbandriss 16.04.2018 11.09.2018 148 Tage 16[​IMG]
    17/18 Sehnenanriss 18.08.2017 20.09.2017 33 Tage

that's 4 times in past 3 years he was out for over 100 days (also counting that 98 as basically 100).....

4. PierreLittbarski

1. FC Köln
    Germany
    Sep 9, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't know I think helping Germany win the WC is a massive achievement and I put NT achievements over club ones.

unless your world class no one is going to remember your club achievement down the line. Doesn't help that Schurrle always changed clubs either. Schurrle was a good player but nothing amazing. His legacy is the NT, where he did realize his potential and his name is in history books. Winning goal assist.

BVBFNM and PierreLittbarski repped this.
  6. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I will always lament the fact that Schürrle never worked out for BVB, but I wouldn't say he's a lost talent. Inconsistent perhaps, but he won a Premier League with Chelsea where he is fondly remembered, two DFB-Pokal titles (Wolfsburg 2015, BVB 2017), and most importantly the World Cup where played a crucial role breaking the deadlock vs Algeria and assisting the winning goal in the Final.

Schürrle will forever be a national hero.

7. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Badstuber has now been dumped to Stuttgart II...........how sad.........that a once promising career destroyed by injuries.

Alex C and Blueberry_night repped this.
  8. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    A bit like Erik Durm. His debut with the senior BVB squad in the 2013-14 was so impressive that he was part of the 2014 World Cup winning squad even though he didn't play at all. Unfortunately the constant injuries he suffered afterwards killed all of his potential before he could truly shine. I think he could have been one of the greatest LBs of all time were it not for his injuries.

Oh well, at least he will always have the memory of lifting football's ultimate trophy at the Maracaná.

Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  9. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Is it just me or Germany had soooooooo many potential players not fulfilling their potential due to injury. Germany being one of the most advanced country in terms of medical and its equipment along with Japan and USA, don't you find it focking ironic?

Look at how much Reus played in BVB and Germany shirt relative to the number of matches whereas he should able to play. Then like BVBFNM said Erik Durm. He managed to shut down CR during one of CL match before WC14. Then you have Arne Maier, Fiete Arp. Going back few decades we have Badstuber, Metzelder. People always said that WC02 we only have Kahn and Ballack the top class players. Not accurate. Metzelder was a ferocius and sturdy CB during that tournament and he was being selected in few team of the tournament albeit not as much as Kahn and Ballack. Then we have Deisler, probably the most tragic one. I am quite sure I missed a lots of names here.

Ger90 repped this.
  10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    there was a 1BL foreign player, damn can't recall the player's name or club since I focus more on Germans who months ago got super pissed at the incompetence of the medical dep of his club.

also epitome made a thread about huge question marks on medical deps in clubs too.

Blueberry_night repped this.
  11. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I remember that. I also forget the players name but I think FC Koln player? Yes, no disrespect to other countries but we are talking about German club reside in GERMANY. How the hell the medical standard so low.

Ger90 repped this.
  12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    found it, it was Hoffenheim and damn that's some shitty doctors almost ending the player's career.

13. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I posted previously that Reus should be considered a lost talent, and I reiterate my opinion.

Reus may still be playing at a top level, but he is a lost talent in the sense that he has gotten injured far too often to make any meaningful contribution to both club and country, in addition to the sad fact that the 2017 DFB-Pokal is set to go down as his only major trophy.

ShadowX repped this.
  14. RacMan93

RacMan93 Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Montreal
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I’d say he contributed to both national team and club. He was Dortmunds best player in their 2013 champions league run. He was however the closest thing Germany has had to a superstar in a long time and that was ruined due to injuries.

dips82 repped this.
  15. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Max Meyer is definitely on this list considering how trash he is in the EPL. If he's humble then he'll take a pay cut at some point and return to the Buli. Otherwise it'll be Turkish league or MLS for him next.

16. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lost talent and being injured are two different things though.

17. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I mean it's in the title
    "players who did not realize their potential"

don't think anyone thinks Reus realized his potential due to his constant injury issues.

BVBFNM and Cris 09 repped this.
  18. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree Reus had everything to be a top 5 player in the world, he has still achieved a lot. Hopefully he will be fit for the Euros, I want him to finally have a big tournament for the NT, he deserves it.

In terms of German global superstars in recent years, I think Neuer is definitely one. Young keepers all over the world often reference him as someone they looked up to growing up, he is synonymous with the sweeper keeper style.

19. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    #169 Epitome990, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    I'm 50:50 on Reus. If he was to retire in a few years, I'd say he still lived out a reasonably successful career. Biggest shame would probably be not being healthy enough to officially be part of the 2014 WC winning squad and festivities. But at least his competitive spirit and drive is allowing him to try carrying on in these later years of his career. Compared to other guys like Götze and Schürrle who fell off even more due to physical conditions or motivations.

Ger90 repped this.
  20. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Pretty sad but it looks like Maximilian Philipp is getting increasingly worse over at Dynamo Moscow. Yes Dortmund looked desperate to sell him to whoever can pay and recuperate the original amount they purchased for him, but Philipp needs to take responsibility as well for his play no matter where he lands. As his career is becoming even more disappointing.

Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  21. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Marc Stendera is now with 3.Liga club FC Ingolstadt. Technically still one of the better clubs on that level but his game isn't what it used to and could have been.

He spent last season with Hannover in the second division. Another player where injuries seriously derailed his career. He represented the youth NT from U17-21 and started off quite well in the pros with Eintracht Frankfurt.

Ger90 repped this.
  22. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Wasn't personally a fan of Pierre-Michel Lasogga, but if he had better luck with injuries, perhaps got in consistently better physical condition (weight), and motivation later on to make it in Europe instead of going to the Middle East so early, he would've maintained relevance longer. He's actually still only 28 years old.

Ger90 and Blueberry_night repped this.
  23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  24. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Several players in the 95 age group struggling. Selke we all know for a while already. Max Meyer looks permanently benched at Crystal Palace and has no role in the team. His adventure in the EPL looks like it'll end up even worse than someone like Holtby. His contract does expire in the summer, wonder what's next for him, lower mid table Buli or MLS? Julian Weigl who made a 20 mio move to Benfica has been relegated to mostly being a bench player so far this season.

Ger90 repped this.
  25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany