Review: The lost talents thread: Players who did not realize their potential

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Epitome990, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    #226 Epitome990, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    '94 and 95 just seem like really poor years for GKs.

Jannik Huth and Pollersbeck. Although the actual gem Vlachodimos went on to represent Greece

Marius Gersbeck, Wellenreuther, Marvin Schwäbe, Oliver Schnitzler, Daniel Mesenhöler

While in 96, there is only Nübel who is decent. Marius Funk and Raif Husic fell off a long time ago

In 97, there's only Florian Müller

For 98, maybe Finn Dahmen or Markus Schubert someday, we don't know yet. Also not sure if Eike Bansen is someone to be rated

PierreLittbarski and Ger90 repped this.
  2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    97 has Kastenmeier #1 at FD since they were in 1BL since last season and looks to be doing well and getting praise. Rest are bunch of benchers.

but 92 was last good GK age group, 93-99 more iffy, bunch have played 1BL but long ways to go.

PierreLittbarski and Epitome990 repped this.
  3. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Yeah, 92 had Ter Stegen and Leno, also fwiw Schwolow.

Maybe 90 was decent as well with Trapp and Baumann, but that's heading towards old man territory and only Trapp got into playing in actual games for the NT

93 starts and onwards starts to get dicier. There's Timo Horn who's good but perhaps a bit unfulfilled, and then Karius

Ger90 and PierreLittbarski repped this.
  4. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Ger90 repped this.
  5. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Robin Yalcin, who was part of the German youth NTs between U15-20

Also a member of the '94 class of other lost talents including Yesil, Quaschner, Aydin, Aycicek, and Tammo Harder

...on a separate note, just saw that Quaschner has officially retired from football. Had struggles but ultimately injuries was another part what kept derailing his career

Ger90 repped this.
  6. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Ger90 repped this.
  7. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Lmao Max Meyer can't even get himself into garbage bench minutes at Koeln. Crazy how bad his career has become

8. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Time really does fly looking at the class of '95. I remember being in my mid-20's (lol) visiting the Weserstadion about 6 years ago and getting a Davie Selke jersey.

He sucks now of course in hindsight. Other players in that year who have disappointed for various reasons: all of the GKs, Anthony Syhre, Marian Sarr, Pascal Itter, Max Meyer, Hany Mukhtar, Nico Brandenburger, Marc Stendera, Jeremy Dudziak...etc

Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  9. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The only player that really made it big from that Euro u21 2017 winning squad is Gnabry. I had high hopes for players like Meyer, Toljan, Weiser, Oztunali and Selke who have all disappointed to varying degrees.

Players like Stark and Kempf have done ok, although the former has had too many injury problems and Arnold and Amiri have had good but not stellar careers to date.

Blueberry_night repped this.
  10. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Julian Weigl, another player from the 95s that went to the dumps

11. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  13. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    #238 Epitome990, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Yea, Warschewski wasn't the biggest of talents, but he did have a brief period a few years ago where he was among the U19 youth NT scene. Also an early riser with Muenster but never really put in the work or initiative

Clubless for a while and played in the RL. Nothing really happens for players in the CPL who even do well over there. Probably just wants to play there for the adventure or experience in a different country/continent

Ger90 repped this.
  14. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Leitner didn't end up going anywhere and will just sit out and collect a small but still reasonable portion of his weekly wages for remainder of the season. He still has another year left on his contract at Norwich

https://www.bt.com/sport/news/2021/...er-moritz-leitner-vows-to-remain-professional

Moritz Leitner has vowed to remain professional despite being frozen out at Norwich.

The 28-year-old has not played for the Sky Bet Championship leaders for a year and was told he could leave after the club were relegated from the Premier League last July.

Leitner’s last appearance came in an FA Cup win at Preston 12 months ago but, as he looks for a move, the former Borussia Dortmund midfielder insisted he would stay calm.

In quotes released to the PA news agency, he said: “My agent is in contact with various associations, there are exciting projects and discussions but we should only talk about it in concrete terms when there are facts to report. This is also what I understand by professionalism.

“Of course I’m dying to be back on the pitch, but as someone who has been involved in professional football for a long time, I’ve learned to deal with situations like this.

“The day will soon come when I can help a team again. I’m really looking forward to it and will do everything for it.”

Leitner won the Sky Bet Championship with Norwich in 2019 but, along with Josip Drmic and Tom Trybull, was told he had no future at the club and cast out of the first-team squad in the summer.

Trybull was moved on to Blackburn on loan but Rovers are paying just £2,000 of his £22,000-a-week wages.

But Leitner, who initially joined the Canaries from Augsburg on loan in 2018, remains philosophical about the situation and insisted he would make the move to Carrow Road again.

“Every club has the right to make individual plans with regard to the deployment of its players and to make appropriate decisions,” said ex-Lazio man, who is due back in Norwich soon after training in Munich following an injury.

“I had three great years in Norwich, the promotion to the Premier League, to which I contributed, experience in the Premier League, there were a few real highlights.

“I have had a lot of great experiences in England from which I will benefit greatly in the future. The move to the Canaries at that time was a very good decision for me – I would make it again.

“I still have a valid contract with Norwich until the summer of next year, so we will find a good solution together. Of course, I want to win games with a team again and be successful on the pitch. This is my passion.”

Ger90 repped this.
  15. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Ger90 repped this.
  16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Seydel has to go under the knife
    Offensive man Aaron Seydel got it even worse. The 25-year-old was diagnosed with a ruptured Achilles tendon. He will also be operated on in the coming days and will be out at least until the end of the season. The former U-21 international, who came from 1. FSV Mainz 05 at the beginning of the season, was thrown back this season, among other things, by a shoulder injury and a broken rib and could not really gain a foothold at the Böllenfalltor.

17. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Quite fitting that Seydel plays on the same team together with Felix Platte at Darmstadt

Ger90 repped this.
  18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sascha Bigalke of 90 age group is retiring.

was only ever good in dfn ynt, could never establish himself at pro level, ending up career 3rd Liga player.

19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

20. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  21. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Redemption??? From 3rd Liga to 1BL
    According to information from RHEINPFALZ, Max Christiansen will play for the newly promoted Bundesliga club SpVgg Greuther Fürth in the coming season. The SV Waldhof Mannheim midfielder's contract expires on June 30th, and it was an open secret that the 24-year-old was leaving Mannheim to try his luck in a higher division. With Spvgg Greuther Fürth, the club has now been found where Marco Meyerhöfer, an actor who previously played for SVW, is already under contract.

22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Epitome990 repped this.
  23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Reinhold Yabo and Sascha Bigalke both retire.

Blueberry_night repped this.
  24. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Didn't know much about Bigalke's career but thought that Yabo was decent enough to be a solid 2BL player. Guess either health/fitness or personal reasons is why he's moving on

Ger90 repped this.
  25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bigalke was class of 90 with Kroos but always overshadowed. Did really well for dfb YNT but ended up as career 3rd Liga-RL player with 1 1BL cap.

career full of injuries, enough injuries where he's mostly injured for 2 consecutive seasons.