The Lost Season

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Independence' started by pasoccerdad, Feb 2, 2012.

1. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, We are hoping for the WPS to come back in 2013... but I just wanted to get this off my chest !

This was supposed to be OUR year, yes there was only going to be five teams, but this was a year where this teams builds up a lot of support going into 2013. From 2 games at PPL to expanding the fan base.

I was working with my soccer club (club night) and High school choir (singing the National anthem) to arrange a complete community night to expose as many in our area (Lower Pottsgrove and surrounding areas) to come out to the Independence

We were getting back a great portion of the team that made the championship both years.

The dissapointment is inceadible, From the Cheesesteak Supporters Club to the all the fans down....

In 2013, if they come back, It will not be the same team, most likely not the same coach (Paul expressed desires for his club to enter the WPS)

Thus... This is the Lost season

2. StevieBeat

StevieBeat Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hadn't seen this mentioned yet, from Jeff Kassouf earlier today:

Sorry to hear it's official, I'd hoped all the teams would find a temp home for this year, especially the Independence. I've been pretty unabashed in my love for Philly, so I definitely feel for all the fans up there.

pasoccerdad, your post about the lost season reminded me of the Montreal Expos in the strike-shortened 1994 season. They had some amazing talent and looked sure to go far that year. After the strike year, MLB slooowly came around, but Montreal really never were the same and the team eventually became the laughing stock of the league. I often wonder what might have been if they had won the Series that year.

I hope something close to the same team will be there in 2013 (as I knock on wood), but it's a damn shame we'll never even see the 2012 Independence take the field. What an incredible team they could have been...

3. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This writeup makes it clear that it is the same guy:

http://www.phillysoccernews.com/sections/wpsl2.php?article_id=8127

5. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will informally invite some of my fellow cheesesteaks to a college match and a fever match. I think it's important to keep the tradition of supporting local soccer in our year off. A watch party for the olympics would also be in good order. Shame we lost our season but we will make sure to pick up where this business left off in 2013.