The Long and Winding Search for Olmes Garcia (Bienvenido Olmes!)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by ShaggyReAL, Jan 31, 2013.

1. MOS5

MOS5 Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reverse image search brought me to this article:
    http://www.cronicadelquindio.com/no...ita_al_cucuta-seccion-Deportes-nota-54105.htm

If my Spanish language skills would have been better(they are non-existant) I might have noticed that Caicedo was not the one pictured.

Allez RSL and bordelais7 repped this.
  2. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    MOS5 repped this.
  3. bordelais7

bordelais7 Member

May 13, 2003
    Centreville, VA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    That's a little presumptuous. For all we know, "Olmes García tendrá la oportunidad de aportar su fútbol." could mean "Olmes Garcia is not in this picture".

MOS5 repped this.
  4. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    FYI. The agreement with Garcia was reached two weeks ago - within the 8-10 day period. The team held back on an announcement out of visa concerns, especially since their worst previous visa experience was with another Colombian, Jamison Olave.

Deportivo Cali is a Colombian club.

Fire sales are de rigueur in S. America, especially with forwards.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I edited the thread title. :)

Allez RSL repped this.
  6. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooooo, let's have at it, I know nothing about this guy. Good signing?

7. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olmes Garcia? Wait, isn't that part of the name of a Sam Peckinpah film?

8. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nah - I don't know much Spanish, but it's clearly something about Olmes Garcia...something...the opportunity...something...football. Quickly and easily confirmed by searching his name on Google images or translating the page.

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MOS5 repped this.
  10. MOS5

MOS5 Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *whoosh*

11. bordelais7

bordelais7 Member

May 13, 2003
    Centreville, VA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Has anyone coined the nick "GOLmes" yet, or can I lay first claim? Get working on those signs.

Allez RSL repped this.
  12. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    You are the first. However, it could be the kiss of death, kind of like "Dr. Goals". Are you sure you want to risk it?

lurpythepirate and Allez RSL repped this.
  13. bordelais7

bordelais7 Member

May 13, 2003
    Centreville, VA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Of course I'll risk it. THIS one is actually good. "Dr. Goals" isn't even clever. The equivalent here would be "Colombian Goal Dude" or "20-Year-Old Goals" or "Undergrad Goals". See. Not catchy. What I'VE done is taken two words and slyly combined them into one. Fire up the T-shirt screen printer, we've got a winner. Gooooollllllmes! When he scores his first gol(mes) you'll be sitting there with nothing but regret and remorse for not having been on the bandwagon earlier.

14. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Alright, your sales pitch convinced me. So much so that I tweeted it.

15. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically its going to be Findley or plata starting for the first few months more then likely. To me this signing is more of a develop for later in the season and hope he pans out. Far from a home run clear #2 striker. That's not to say he won't be good, this is more of a signing like espy and javi, where they are going to need months to acclimate and get used to MLS, maybe even more so for this guy due to him being only 20.

georg and Ismitje repped this.
  16. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yeah, I agree with this. I think that I was expecting someone who would step in and contribute sooner, but Olmes will likely take a while to acclimate and is a bit more of a risk that he might not pan out at all. Of course if he turns out like Javi or Espy, that's spectacular. Fingers crossed that he makes the transition quickly and that Garson have really spotted a great talent. Also have my fingers crossed that we don't dig ourselves a huge hole in the first 1/3 of the season with current injuries and lots of new faces and only 1 returning, proven forward.

17. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Better than the one I thought up - 'Holmes' - because he's solving all our problems.

lurpythepirate, BalanceUT and bordelais7 repped this.
  18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully he really is like a Javi or Espy and not more like an Atiba. For whatever reason the tools used to describe him remind me or our erstwhile former player.

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I am glad we have a name. But yeah a potential Fabian Castillo guy or maybe another Paulo Jr/Nelson Gonzalez. We are talking long term here.

20. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you can already see/read the mild disappointment in comments, this signing just wasn't quite up to the level most fans are probably going to expect from the team. he certainly deserves his fair shake and he will get it, but quite frankly i'm tempering expectations and am thinking he'll struggle to crack the starting XI this year. certainly not quite i was hoping for from this signing, i was holding out hope we'd bring in a proven #9, someone who might take a few weeks to a month or so to settle in but would jump right into the starting XI and probably be fairly productive.

right now i feel like it's a 2 player battle for the second striker next to sabo between plata and findley. we'll see what happens with olmes.

21. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I think our overall forward setup looks to be better than last year. We've got Findley who at least knows the system so he should be able to contribute in the short term. Olmes is hopefully a quality pickup. While we may not see a ton of him this season, I like that we're picking up someone that is hopefully with us for the long term. A guy with a lot of promise who is young enough to be molded into a player we need.

I'm also guessing that he's going to be a fairly inexpensive signing in the short term. If this allows us to have Saunders and Stephenson, then I think our overall squad looks pretty good for the season.

22. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Garth said they were looking for a player to come in and compete for starting time and challenge Sabo for spot as top striker on the team. I will expect that to happen.

I think that's what they want to happen right now not later in the season.

He had lots of minutes last year for Quindo I expect him to be in the starting 11 day one.

They were looking for a No. 1 or 2 type forward and I expect that to betha case or I will go all Georg up in here.

Just kidding.

23. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets go all Georg, I for one was expecting a more established striker, from everything we had heard and were told by the FO, the new player was going to be a clear number 2 in our striker ranks. Looks to me like this was a player RSL settled on because all the other targets did not pan out. So am I disappointed? Yes! am I surprised RSL again went cheap? No.
    I hope this player does well, but I think we will be missing Fabian Espindola this year.

Black Prince, SoccerPrime and aosthed repped this.
  24. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on all the FO comments, I was thinking the new guy would be in the ~25yo range. In some ways I'm happier that he's younger. It's likely going to save us money to use in other areas in the squad, and the age doesn't mean he won't be good. Andy was one of the ones to scout him, and if he likes him, there must be something to it. I look forward to seeing what he can bring to the table.

The FO is putting this team in a position to succeed in the years to come. We still have some older vets around in Ned, Borchers, Morales, Sabo and Beckerman. We've also got a lot of solid youth that if we can get them to stay with us for awhile, we'll have a core that can stay together for 4-5 years and help push this club forward.

I'm really hoping Olmes is able to get the physical done today and sign the paperwork today. I really want to see him play tonight.

Ismitje repped this.