The Lockout Thread (R)

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by DoyleG, Sep 15, 2004.

1. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    what bentmann has done well:

1: dallas, denver, san jose, tampa, atlanta,anaheim, minnesota,tampa.
    2: the value of franchises has gone way way up. these guys claim to be losing money, but they could always sell their teams.

what bentamnn has done poorly:

1:columbus, nashville, miami, carolina. none of these teams should exist.

as for the sport not getting ratings on american tv, that was a pre-existing condition. he tried to make the game more popular in america. it is not going to work. it is a regional, niche sport. i like to watch the rangers and other northeast teams. i could not care less about the nashville predators.

2. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NHL needs to contract. I'm not sure how this could be done though.

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Columbus should have a team, they have done well in supporting their team, and unlike some other teams, they are in a state that has winter.

4. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My condolences, Hockey Fans. It appears the end is here:

Link
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=114925

It's expected the National Hockey League will put out an advisory later today (Monday) that it is calling a news conference for tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday) in New York, at which time NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is expected to officially cancel the 2004-05 regular season and playoffs.

Individual NHL clubs are said to be planning their own local news conferences immediately following Bettman's announcement.

5. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Idiots all. They've all ruined a great game.

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I suggest to all hockey fans that you do what I have been doing this year, support the AHL. Let the PA and Owners know that there are options out there if they are too stupid to see that they are killing the NHL.

7. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Absolutely true. And I passionately cheer for my college's team (#12-ranked Colgate). That said, probably 98% of hockey fans only care about THEIR LOCAL TEAM, whether it's the AHL or NHL. Otherwise, playoff TV ratings would be considerably better than they have been. The numbers for baseball and football don't lie on this count.

8. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    Anybody happen to catch ESPN SportsCenter's plan to "fix" hockey?

I'm not surprised they recommended the shootout, but it doesn't piss me off any less.

Thing is, most of their other proposals I could get behind: shortening the season to 70 games (although this means an even lower salary cap given how the NHL is far more dependent on gate receipts than the other "major" sports here), cracking down on obstruction, cracking down on the size of goalie equipment.

But the shootout? Why not just play rock-paper-scissors?

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe while the sportscenter guys are at it for basketball, instead of overtime, they can have a slam dunk contest, oh wait, that would be the previous 4 qtrs.

Baseball, no extra innings, just have the home run hitting contest

10. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    i have been watching tapes of the 72 russia-canada series. i saw game 3 from winnipeg the other night, ended 4-4. tremendous hockey, the best i have ever seen.

11. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    Zero Hour:

Press conference set for 1pm Wednesday in New York

www.nhl.com

12. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Tell that to Disney. They've been trying to sell the Ducks for four years.

13. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
  14. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    So, here's what happened today:

- Bettman sends a letter to Goodenow, with the NHL's final offer ("This offer is NOT an invitation to open negotiations--it's too late for that"); NHL ups their cap from $40 to $42.5 million. (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115051) The letter sets an 11am Wednesday deadline for the union to accept the deal.

- 4 hours later, Goodenow sends a letter to Bettman, with the union's final proposal. The PA drops their cap from $52 to $49 million. (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115069)

- Shortly after that, Bettman rejects the union offer, claiming that if every team was at the $49 million cap (which would be a small miracle, since the salary floor would be $25 million, and there were teams below THAT last year), the league would wind up paying more in salary as a percentage of revenue than they were last season. (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115048)

It looks like the magic number is $45 million. Hopefully they get there, but it's going to be very much last minute.

15. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    It took f****ing long enough for the the NHLPA to face the fact that a salarycap is inevitable. Too bad that they didn't get the news out to the membership before they put it on the table.

16. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a game of chicken on the highway. I predict a smash up and much damage on the road. When the NHL said "final offer" in that letter (and then made it public), they backed themselves into a corner.

17. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Geez, like we did not see this coming. These owners and players know that fans are such suckers.

18. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    No offense intended but you're a moron if you believe this. Columbus has supported this franchise from the very beginning and will continue to do so in incredible numbers after the NHL and NHLPA get their heads out of their collective asses. Columbus has amazing season-ticket numbers and their arena/athmosphere was ranked #1 in the NHL for all 3 years in the league.

My issue now, if the players were willing to accept a salary cap now why didn't they do this months ago and get this crap settled and have a season. Just a piss-poor job by the players association at this point.