The Lockout Thread (R)

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by DoyleG, Sep 15, 2004.

1. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  2. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has made the Swedish league much more exciting though. It is nice to see a lot of the "best" players in Europe.

3. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    hockey is simply not popular in america anymore. i would rate it the #6 team sport, behind the nfl, baseball, nbs, college football and college basketball.

4. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    the league was better without these expansion teams. eleiminate crolina, nashville, columbus, florida. just for starters. take a hard look at phoenix, atlanta, washington,los angeles, san jose and anaheim. take it back to 2 orso teams. they should realize that the sport is only big in certain areas, ********** everywhere else.

5. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Columbus needs more time. I know that LA and SJ deserve to be there because of continued support. I think (not sure) Phoenix has decent numbers, although I don't know about the fanbase.

6. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Patrick, you might be the biggest idiot on these boards. And that's saying a lot.

7. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    In theory, Phoenix would do a little better, and their numbers are already decent, with the new arena with no obstructed view (for hockey) seats. I have heard rumblings that Glendale, a west burb where the arena is, is 45 minutes or more for most of their fanbase. That could be quite problematic on weeknights.

8. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    we need hockey now. its boring.

9. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
  10. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NHL hockey, or hockey at any level (college, minor pro, junior)?

11. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    The AHL gets going on Wednesday.

12. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  13. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa

NOT SURE WHAT you mean by that. my points are valid. one, there are about 5 to many teams. two, very few people on a % basis in usa will miss the nhl. it is amazing. i was in new york the night the nhl was at its absolute zenith in america, when the rangers won the stanley cup. it has been down hill ever since. i just can't get excited about the rangers playing the nashville predators. death to the phuc-ing nashville predators.

14. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  15. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3088174

I think the last quote in this story is an accurate summarization of how real American hockey fans feel. We're annoyed. We'll be back. And it's coming from my favorite kind of hockey fan. A fan who didn't grow up with the game, but someone who was exposed to the game as an adult and became a fan. Being users on an American soccer message board, I'm sure many of you can appreciate that.

16. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  17. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  18. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    the reason the nhl sucks is because international play is a far superior brand of hockey to the nhl. the exact opposite is the case in basketball. if nhl games were played like the 2002 olympics it would actually be worth watching

19. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  20. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really starting to get Rangers withdrawl right about now. Thankfully I've got my local AHL team and ESPN NHL 2k5 to keep me occupied.

21. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa

but you live in fear of the albany river rats

22. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh god, me too. With baseball over, Metros out of the playoffs, and Arsenal games shown twice a month, it's going to be a long, bitter winter. Of course there are the P-Bruins a 10 min drive from me. I suppose I could catch Josef Balej and the Pack when they come to town.

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, now with the San Jose Earthquakes' season just over, the San Francisco Giants' season long over, the San Jose Sharks still not playing and the San Francisco 49ers hardly playing, my last hope for now for some enjoyable sports-spectating are the Golden State Warriors. :eek:

-G

24. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The season won't be cancelled; there are cracks appearing at every turn from the players' side and I doubt they'll let Goodenow keep harlining if they know it'll mean the season's done.

Up here, we're running out of sports highlights! All we have left is the CFL (3 weeks to go) and the NFL in regards to regular highlights (golf from time to time, no NBA in Québec, some juinor hockey, etc.).