The Liverpool team which would win the league (circa man utd team of 90's)

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by tuseef, Aug 7, 2002.

1. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Liverpool team to not win the league

Not sure what that has to do with Gerrard, who's doing a pretty good job of making Darren Anderton look sturdy.

2. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Um...change of style and attitude is needed for the scouse.
    The "sit back and counter" style is not what has won so many titles for Manure.Sure it works and can effectively make a decent team look great by geting the result that is needed.

This is typified in your game last season at the riverside.Totally against the run of play you came away with a 2-1 (if i remember the score correct) win.Great tactics and quite a bit of luck involved.

The problem is that with these type of tactics you won't always get that win.
    Manure simply steamrolled tru teams in the 90's, scoring massive amounts of goals as they were urged forward by Ferguson.

Now if the scouse were to play like that who knows...................oh and please, please don't tell me you consider Heskey a quality "striker" ?

3. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Liverpool team to not win the league

well the connections are obvious to see

one makes an idiot of himself by injuring himself whilst turning in bed, and the other by turning in the M62 ;)

4. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    ref: middlesborough game last season where we won 2-1

if you go back two seasons in time... we lost at the riverside 1-0...and in the two games before that loss we had beaten man utd 1-0 at old toilet and arsenal 4-0 at Anfield.

We played quite attacking in that loss to boro as we had done against arsenal and man utd....but that was so typical of LFC - beat the hard teams and lose to the easy ones

therefore i take great heart from that fact that we beat them last season 2-1...even though we adopted the counter-attacking policy becos it bought us good results

obviously i would prefer to play better football...but if boring football brings us the league, then i will be happy

another thing u forget is that we finished with 80 points last season...and it recent seasons it would have been enuff to win the league...we lost the title to, quite frankly (dont get angry now will ya ;) ) to a SUPERB Arsenal side last season

yes i know heskey is rubbish..along with smicer,berger,murphy and many others ;)

5. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Can't say i blame you for that one as i know what you mean.I for one will take a win over the Addicks this season any way we can get it.Doubled us the last two seasons and kept us out of Champions League footie both times.

However, nice as these little "get back" wins are they just don't seem to amount up to enough to win the title over the course of the season.
    Chelsea have been playing a similar type of football this past season and have suffered the same results ie. good wins against the top teams and loss of points against the lower ones.Often by one goal.if we had attacked from the outset, well, who knows.

In all of the scouse losses last season(apart from the one at Stamford Bridge :D) how many were by a single goal?and in how many of those games did they play "don't lose football"

Anyways, like i said, Manure won it by simply overruning the opposition.

The points thing is also a bit of a myth.Manure had the title sewn up in lot of previous seasons and played second and third string players at the run in.Draws and some loses took off of possible points.

6. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That is true of maybe three of their seven title-winning campaigns. Those being the most recent. As I said in a previous post, the stated aim, courtesy of Demento himself, was to "be better at being Liverpool than they are". Now, anyone who knows owt about football pre-1993 will remember exactly what that means. Tight at the back, quick through midfield, lethal up front. Score early, kill the game.

That was the bedrock of more than a few Liverpool titles. It was also the foundation of some of the great teams in English football (for solidity breeds authority breeds confidence and flair), including the best of the modern era, the 1988 Liverpool side.

That was the MO of every United team up to and including the one that lost the league at Old Trafford in 1998. Unless you consider a team consisting of Pallister, Bruce, Parker and Irwin at the back and Brian McClair up front as a "steamroller". Bloody Hell, a team that fielded Ralph Milne doesn't deserve comparison to a flower press, let alone a 15-ton asphalt flattening machine.

The comparisons between the mid-90's United team and this current Liverpool one are valid, in so much as both were developing units, laced with potent attacking material, definite title candidates, but not always capable of playing with consistent authority. They learnt to produce when it matters with an entirely comparable quality of personnel. If we can rediscover the art of doing that self-same thing, then who knows? This might be the year. Might not, equally.

7. Miguel88

Miguel88 New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    To put it simply, Liverpool didn't win the Premiership either, did it? Manchester had a few injuries, so we actually have an excuse.....Let's hear all the sorry excuses from the Liverpool fans....and by the way, with Rio in, Manchester is going to tear it up in the Premiership!!!Just a little info...

8. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    hmmm, I remember that Liverpool won the same amount of trophies as ManUtd did last year: 0

The "treble" that Liverpool won in 2000-2001 was the FA Cup, the UEFA Cup and the ahemm Worthington Cup.

9. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Exactly and on several levels. Comparing Owen and Van for example. Talking about Van as being with the ManU of the 90s is another. The worst offence is the implication that if you get the same type of players (which is NOT the case with Liverpool) that it will somehow magically equal the same on field successes.

10. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Very well said!

11. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You misspelled Worthnothing Cup.

12. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    hmm i remember replying to this post earlier

someone been editing my post??? ;)

and Motterman..i think its a bit rich you calling it the "Worthnothing Cup"

didnt this same trophy save Alex Ferguson his job in 1993???

oh how quick we forget

13. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    yes, but we didnt spend £50m in the process ;)

and they were two established, world class stars........apparently ;)

14. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    Calling nilsterooy vansorekneesalot is dumb...... i'm not saying owen's bad, but they've both had their fair shair of injuries...their about even...

15. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    its just friendly local banter mate

no harm done ;)

being from USA..u cannot even begin to contemplate the heated rivalries between the northwest of englands two biggest clubs

we are mere miles apart

if you dont believe me..trying walking around liverpool in a man utd shirt and vice versa

i think i am a fair judge of this...cos i live in liverpool and work in manchester!!!

but its just a joke about VanKneeStillSore.......seriously!! ;)

16. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Um...they played only one decent team in that cup run.
    The third round...drawn home to us...they eeked out a 2-1 extra time win against the run of play (how typical of them) and then that was it.
    Didn't play another quality team.

17. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    I beg to differ-it was worth a lot to urinate upon Hoddle from a great height :D.

18. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    sour grapes

19. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Absolutly.

But also quite true.
    :)

20. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Manchester had a few injuries, did "it"? That's the reason for the fuck-awful performances at Anfield, at Highbury, at St James', against West Ham and Chelsea at home? Give over. Quite apart from the fact that we had Owen, Berger, Barmby, Babbel, Gerrard, Dudek, Vignal, Carragher and Riise out at one stage of the season or another, we also had our Manager missing for five months. If you think that's an excuse, then ask yourself how much worse United's season would have been had Bryan fucking Robson been in charge for most of it. Or how about Arsenal under Pat Rice? Chelsea under Gwyn Williams? Leeds under Brian Kidd?

United under Robson for five months. LOL! I think "it" would have struggled even more than "it" did at the hands of Demento's inept struggle to get all his expensive toys in the one basket, don't you?

Sorry pal, but you need to step back and think before you commit your view of this world to this forum. I thought the other thread where you have Phil Neville as a starting centre-back for England at the 2006 World Cup may have been an aberration, but from this further evidence, it appears I was being much too kind to you.

21. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    and we finshed ahead of manure with all those injury problems dont forget

22. USsupport

USsupport New Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arlington, VA, USA
    woo hoo. 2nd - again :)

23. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    hows the qualifying for the champions league going? ;)

i heard you were initially paired with Fenerbache...but then those bigwigs at UEFA decided that was too hard for you...so they did the draw again ;)

24. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember the last time we had to qualify. :)

25. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    And we have the strikers :). Sadly we have a rubbish defence to counter-balance this.