The Liverpool team which would win the league (circa man utd team of 90's)

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by tuseef, Aug 7, 2002.

1. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    The LFC team to win the league

Think about it in terms of manure's typical late 90s team and how we can match up player for player, given we play exactly the same tactics:

....................................Dudek/Scmeichel

Babbel/Neville.....Hyppia/Stam........Henchoz/Silvestre........Riise/Neville

Gerard/Becks..........Hamann/Keane......Cheyrou/Scholes.......Diouf/Giggs

.......................Owen/Van Nistelrooy...... Heskey/Cole

Baros/Solksjaer
    Murphy/Butt

look at that team? can you honestly say that man utd's team is vastly better????

Think about it! If we only played positively, we can murder teams in a 4-4-2 played to a carbon copy of 90s manure. i don't like to accord them too much but if we want to dominate the next decade, sad to say, we'll have to learn something from them. now, we have the kind of team that can match what they had - man for man. in some areas, we're even better (riise, in particular).

2. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you've lost the plot.

3. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    too bad man utd actually won a few trophies

4. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    moi?

why do you say that?

if your gonna criticise me..at least back it up with facts/reasons

it will make you look much more commendable

5. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    well...according to "statistics" liverpool are the most successful club of this millenium so far with 5 trophies ;)

and do i even need to mention the 4 european cups?

na didnt think so :D

6. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Winning the Poor Man's Treble didn't hurt.

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are a few facts/reasons:

Schmeichel is better than Dudek

Becks is better than Gerrard

Keane is three times the player of Hamann

Scholes is world class.

Giggs is world class.

RVN versus Owen - wash

Cole versus Heskey - Cole/Yorke/Solksjaer are all better than Heskey

8. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    just for those dim wits out there i will clarify my original post ;)

i wasnt suggesting liverpool buy schemichal, keane,giggs, beckham etc to win the league

i was merely comparing the man utd team of the late 90's (of the treble era) with liverpools team of 2002

and seeing how they match up (thats correct...the liverpool team is on the left hand of the equation and the man utd team on the right hand side)

get it now?

9. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    also if your team is soo much better than ours..how come we finished ahead of you?

[insert lame-ass manure excuse here]

10. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Bit of a strange excercise, innit? I mean, quite apart from the fact that, far from having to learn from United, we just have to remember to do what we have always done best. United, in the words of their manager himself, just started doing what Liverpool do, at a time when Liverpool themselves forgot how to.

Beyond that, it is not comparative personell, or indeed similar tactics that win titles. That's too simplistic. The only vaguely valid conclusion you could draw from that is that we still have some work to do in the midfield department. Because, without a doubt,

Beckham - Keane - Scholes - Giggs

was the strongest midfield any English side has fielded since Digger, Jan and Whelan bestrode the turf.

11. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Yes

12. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    Re: Re: The Liverpool team which would win the league (circa man utd team of 90's)

then take off your rose tinted specs

;)

13. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    the point i was trying to make was that we have the players and the ability to really hurt teams if GH chose to do so (rather than defend defend defend all the time)

i was merely using manures treble winning team as an example...i thought by comparing player like for like...it would give some LFC fans real hope that "yes...this teams good enough to win the league!"

if i was giving the impression that "lets copy manure" then i apologise (must work on my wording ;) )

face it....12 years is too long for the tradition of our great club

14. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    you spent £50m last season and won fcuk all

i think Slur Alex Ferguscum would swap our "poor mans treble" for that!

;)

15. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were too far behind by the time we found our form right before Christmas. Besides, last year doesn't matter any more does it?

How long were you going to cling to the "at least we finished ahead of United" feelings anyways?

You still haven't won the Premiership, have ya.

16. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YSB

17. DEREK WHITE

DEREK WHITE New Member

Liverpool team to not win the league

The problem with comparing two clubs or for that matter two sides is that you must get all the facts right first.To start Van Nistlelrooy has not played on a Utd team that has won anything .Also you fall into the same trap as a vast majority of Liverpool fans and in deed the management by playing Gerrard on the right he is a central midfielder it is his best position.Hamann is a donkey a carthorse,a poor mans Vieira or for that matter Keane.Manchester United do not have the greatest defence but they have midfielders who work very hard and strikers who can kill you with pace and finishing power.The only way that you will get killed by Hesky is if you die from laughing at him.The only team to have successfully challenged Utd has been Arsenal without spending vast sums of money and that is how it will continue.Finally who are Cheyrou and Diouf anyone can play well in the sun for a few weeks but will they cut it on the big stage I somehow doubt it.If you don't believe me about fair weather players ask any Utd fan about Veron.

18. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Liverpool team to not win the league

I'd be the first to admit that Veron is right to call his first season with us a disaster. Our first trophyless season since the year before our Treble.
    However, I hope he has his head on straight and I FULLY expect him to be a major force in the league this year.

19. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    yeah yeah i have heard it all before mate...premiership my @rse...winning the league is winning the league whether its called the division 1 championship, the premiership or the mcdonalds world series. i couldnt care less....we've won it 18 times..u still playing catch up

according to manure fans...football was invented in 1993 - when man utd started winning everything

i got news for you...it didnt

*shock* *horror* how will you get through the days??!!!

lmfao @ this manc

20. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    oooh

big words from the manc
    hit a nerve did i?

;) dont worry im sure you will have the last laugh at the end of the coming season

you will be able to tell me you spent £80m in 2 years AND still won nothing!

i'll be gutted... "why couldnt liverpool do that?" :D

21. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just pointing out that it's been so freaking long since you've won the league it's since changed names. ROFLMAO!

22. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are the freak scousers calling our team "manure" and crap like that and making disparaging remarks about our Manager. You will win phuckall this year and I'll be at Old Trafford in April to watch us thrash your sorry team in the league this year. Your team is shiite. Your fans are shiite. Your "song" is shiite. Now sod off before I get upset.

23. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    Re: Liverpool team to not win the league

i agree with your assesment of liverpool style of play (look at the barmby thread for my opinion on this matter)

but i disagree with you on several things

1. Gerrards best position may be central but i dont see any current players in the lfc squad who could do a better job than gerrard on the right...wheras we have plenty of players who could take Gerrards position in the centre

2. You may laugh at Heskey (who wouldnt?) but dont forget he scored 20+ goals in the treble season..he justs needs the service from midfield and GH must make him play more centrally and further up front

3. Liverpool may have spent a considerable amount of money but remember one thing - when Wenger took over at Highbury..he had already inherited a decent attack (Wright, Bergkamp etc) and a very good defense (the famous back 5) from GG...he just built on this. When Houllier took over at Liverpool..we were nothing - a completely shambolic "spiceboy" team and he had to spend money to completely rebulid the team

24. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    yeah your so funny

i suppose you dont know what the league cup was called before you won it in 1993?

well..do you?

whoops sorry my mistake..if it happened before 1993..it didnt happen at all did it?

25. tuseef

tuseef New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huyton, Liverpool
    yeah, like the last five times you met us

;)

its been so long.. i've almost forgotten what its like to lose to manure!

refresh my memory plz :D