The Lions Thread

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by comme, May 18, 2005.

1. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lions team for 1st test:

British & Irish Lions: Jason Robinson; Josh Lewsey, Brian O'Driscoll (captain), Jonny Wilkinson, Gareth Thomas; Stephen Jones, Dwayne Peel; Gethin Jenkins, Shane Byrne, Julian White, Paul O'Connell, Ben Kay, Richard Hill, Neil Back, Martin Corry (vice-captain).

Replacements: Steve Thompson, Graham Rowntree, Danny Grewcock, Ryan Jones, Matt Dawson, Will Greenwood, Shane Horgan.

Wilkinson at centre, Lewsey on the wing and Robinson at fullback. Woodward is taking a big gamble, although in the first test I think it is worth it. I like the idea of Wilkinson at centre, with him and Jones having the right/left kicking combination. Lewsey is a tough tackler, so will be good to have him on the wing to counter the Allblacks.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

I would also add that the more important issue is how the Lions go upfront. I think the AB's have a clear edge in the backrow. As long as the lions can recycle decent ball, that backline should be fine.

3. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    i think the ab's will win the test match in the rucks

has wilkinson ever player at second five eight?

4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    apparently he once played there for england against wales in 1999

this just smacks of ww being unable to leave him out but not having the balls to drop the other fellow and play wilko at 1st

5. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't like the back row selected. Richard Hill fine, but Back and Corry? I'd play Ryan Jones at 7 with Michael Owen at 8. I'm not sure how Dawson made it to replacement scrum-half ahead of Cusiter either.

Wilkinson at inside centre is a HUGE gamble. And I don't like Robinson at full-back, he and Lewsey should be switched.

6. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    yep your right. wilko with ball in hand is the best decision maker out there, he needs to be at 10, not 12. i dont trust BOD aswell, never been a fan of him.... i find him too unreliable allways making mistakes and a pretty lousy leader, especially compared to thomas, wilko and robinson.

yeah robinsons pace is much better on the wing, and he can dance like a bitch onto the inside and around. lewsey is a bigger guy and is better suited as the last line of defence.

7. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can't agree about O'Driscoll, maybe his leadership could be an issue, but he is definitely one of the best centres in the world. He's quick and strong and the amount of defences he's carved apart with that searing outside break speaks for itself. He's done it already many times for Ireland and the Lions, New Zealand will do well to be wary of him with the ball in hand.

Lewsey is just a better technical full-back for me, better under the high ball and he picks better lines when coming into the attack. Robinson is a great finisher, a couple of yards of space inside the 22 and he's a fair bet to make it to the line.

8. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I've been away for a few days, but managed to see both the Lions games.

On Saturday I thought we were pretty good, Ryan Jones had the game of the tour so far and Shane Williams showed why he is so dangerous.

On Tuesday we were atrocious. Henson had a good game, Martyn Williams was alright and Sheridan and Shanklin looked good when they came on.

When I saw the team for the first test I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Woodward has now proved that you cannot trust a word he says, the man is just a liar.

When the tour started he said "I'll be looking very closely at what happens in every game. We'll be picking on form for that first Test match, not on reputation." He also said "If we were playing this weekend, the majority of the starting XV would come from Wales and Ireland, with two players from England and one from Scotland."

How then can he include Jason Robinson, Richard Hill, Neil Back, Johnny Wilkinson?

What exactly have they done that has been so special?

Why on earth is Shane Williams not even in the 22 and how has Henson missed out?

If Woodward doesn't pull his finger out we will get beaten 3-0, or at best grind out boring results with compact rugby. This is not what a Lions tour is about.

9. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Just one other thing, I don't understand how anyone can question O'Driscoll, he is the only player in the party who is undeniably the best player in the world at his position.

10. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I do not see how you can really argue with the inclusion of Richard Hill and Neil Back.

Back gets in as Martyn Williams looked shocking against NZ Maori and just isn't good enough at the breakdown. Richard Hill is still one of the best in the world.

As for Robinson, he's arguably the best broken play runner in the squad, may be a bit out of form in terms of try scoring, but I think he merits a place in the first test ahead of the alternatives. Shane Williams is just too defensively suspect, although he maybe should have been in the 22. The bench for this first test is a bit too conservative.

Wilkinson at centre is the big gamble, although in bad weather and against such formidable opposition, I think he may well give a better chance of winning than Henson. In good conditions and when the squad is more settled, I think Henson should get his chance.

Playing a fully open game against this All Black team on their own patch would be suicide. I think the backs are strong enough to play good rugby and score tries, but there has to be a trade-off in order to get the result.

11. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    one hour till kickoff

cant wait

12. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    There's really no way you can call Williams defensively suspect and then pimp Robinson - they're about the same.

Henson played very well against the All Blacks in the autumn internationals.

Got my All Black shirt on - ymlaen seland newydd as long as Lord Bald is running this as an English tour jape.

13. Soccer Ross

Soccer Ross New Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Great Britain
    Captain injured in the first minute and 3 down.

Not the best start :eek:

14. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Damn these cheating kiwis. they should of had two yellow cards allready but no they dont. we've had one (which was deserved) and they knocked on seconds before our sin bin but the touch judge choose to ignore it!

thank god BOD has gone. cant stand him, a big liability. its only half time but ive choosen my backs for next week:

FB - Geordan Murphy
    WG - Robinson
    IC - Greenwood
    OC - Henson
    WG - Thomas
    FH - Wilkinson
    SH - Dawson

Robinson needs to be on the wing, not at FB - we need to utulize his pace v these cheats.

Thank you for listening to my rant, i suppose most of you dont care...... but mix is well angry right now!!!!

Oh yeah, and were playing like ********!!!

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    "cheats"

please - you look awful.

16. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    the word cheat was used in irony! :rolleyes: now dont you just look stupid LMAO @ you sunshine! :)

of course they didnt cheat, they cant choose the refs decisons. the best side won and we were crap. but NZ did get some lucky calls in the game and could easily of had two players sin binned

17. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    That was an absolutely atrocious display from the Lions.

It all stemmed from the forwards. Shane Byrne's throwing was abysmal and Thompson looked no better when he came on. Neil Back was completely dominated by Richie McCaw, Back never got into the game and provided nothing at the break down. Corry did sod all as well.

With that sort of platform it is no surprise the backs did nothing. However, Jason Robinson was poor and kicked away all the possession we had. The midfield decision making was disappointing as well as shown by Jones' cross kick which led to the first try.

I thought Ryan Jones and Will Greenwood did very well coming on early in the game.

Now that O'Driscoll is out for the tour we are in real trouble as there is so little invention in the back line and we will have to work wonders to avoid a whitewash, let alone win the series.

18. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    yeah comme i completely agree

19. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The thing about that team selection is that they were dependent on having a dominant lineout, the fact that it was so woeful killed things completely. After that it was just a poor display in most areas.

Not sure how they change it from here.

20. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    The lineout is the base from which every thing stems, especially if you rely on kicking as much as this team does. We have to pick the person who is the best thrower.

That looked like Byrne, but perhpas it will have to be Bulloch, It is a pity that Mefin Davies isn't in the squad but Woodward preferred Titerall.

21. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    i thought peel had an awfull game

he seemed to take forever to do anything

like putting the ball in the scrum, getting the ball out of the scrum and the ruck etc

also s jones was running around like a headless chicken

22. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    The reason that Peel was taking so long was that the Lions weren't getting quick ball at the break down. If the ball isn't there then there is nothing he can do. In the scums Corry was meant to be flicking the ball back to Peel but it didn't run like that.

Stephen Jones had no ball to do anything with.

23. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    The team to play Manawatu has been announced

Lions team: Murphy; Robinson, Smith, D'Arcy, S Williams; Hodgson, Cusiter; Sheridan, Bulloch (capt), Hayes, Shaw, O'Callaghan, Corry, M Williams, Owen.
    Replacements: Titterell, Stevens, Cockbain, Back, Cooper, O'Gara, Cueto.

It would look as if Robinson and Corry have been dropped for the tests. I'm disappointed that Shane and Martyn Williams are playing as they should both be in the team for Saturday.

This team though has the potential to be very attacking against the weakest side we face on tour.

24. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    I am going to that match, if the lions dont put 60+ on manawatu they should be very dissapointed