The "Let's All Laugh at aust!n" Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by jack sticker, Jan 14, 2019.

1. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big congrats to Josh Wolff.

But I really can't stand Austin's fans and am looking forward to them getting trounced by LAFC.

TKyle, stanger and Pauncho repped this.
  2. loonytoony

loonytoony Member

Newcastle
    Sep 6, 2018
    Austin, TX
    It'll be interesting to see how we do. We beat them home and away this season - but they looked a different team vs Galaxy. Equally - I think we had one of our best games last night, so perhaps we're again in the ascendency. Either way, it's all house money at this point. Never in a million years did I think we'd come this far in just our second season.

Hope all you lot have been well!! Here's hoping that you find a good replacement for Porter.

3. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, you can stay.

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But can he heel?? ;);)

TKyle repped this.
  5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont know, but judging by that photo TwoButtons is very good at playing dead.

6. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F**k Austin in all their holes.

7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. CBusAlex

CBusAlex Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say that Hang was right about Austin - that was a joy to watch.

YITBOS and Salacious Bum repped this.
  9. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feck'em

10. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seemed like we might finally get the NY v LA final that ol' Dong Arbor has always dreamed of. I thought we might get him to retire once his dream final happens. Sadly, not really, not this year.

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #onelove

I admit I went for a nice autumn walk with my wife at 2-0 and missed the end of the match. But what a season, regardless, for Austin FC. They exceeded every possible reasonable expectation for the season. They continue to prove foolish the most emphatic predictions, on-field and off, of the soccer experts, city planning gurus, and public transportation aficionados on this board.

I'm happy for Josh Wolff and many of the players. But virtually any team can have one successful season in MLS. Hell, even Caleb Porter won two cups. The hard part, sustaining success, is next. I don't know if Wolff and the club is up for it. But I'm definitely intrigued to find out.

12. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
  13. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    That's truly awful.

14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's so bad that I can't believe it wasn't my idea.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  15. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, so bad.

Third degree is IIRC, well-known former BS stalwart Dustin Christman. His brain has clearly gone soft.

russ repped this.
  16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Hate that rule change thankfully my sons did headers before that age since it wasn’t a rule.

18. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
  21. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Cold pizza: good
    Ass pizza: good
    Cold ass pizza: not good

22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bexar County (San Antonio) is releasing the Spurs from the obligation to pay the $5 million that they owe for not producing an MLS team.

The commissioners were pretty blunt about what happened:

After what commissioners called a “bamboozling” in how the MLS bid played out, the court felt it was unfair to hold the team accountable for the league's deception.

According to Bobby Perez, the chief legal officer for Spurs Sports and Entertainment, there was a clause within the lease agreement for Toyota Field with Bexar County and the City of San Antonio they would pay this callback fee if they didn’t make it to MLS. The agreement was struck in 2015.

“Unbeknownst to city, county, our company, MLS had sold the rights to this territory to another company, maybe circa 2013 and 2014, well before this deal was done and consummated,” Perez said during Tuesday’s commissioner's court meeting.

“In 2017, almost two years after the transaction closed, MLS said, ‘San Antonio you will not be considered because the territorial rights belong to another entity,’” Perez added.

Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff called it the “most degrading action” in how San Antonio was snubbed by Major League Soccer.

“You built a wonderful team, you’ve given jobs to people, and MLS, we can’t hold you accountable for their skullduggery, I think it’s a fair thing for us to do," Judge Wolff said during his remarks.

https://www.kens5.com/article/sport...ccer/273-4f52fd87-c202-41dc-bf41-a38ef5c89154

23. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And people wonder why Garber gets such a cold reception here.

That little ********er sold us out in 2013.

24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So the judge is (essentially) now saying the county shouldn't be paid five million dollars.

Could there be a hidden reason as to why?

25. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course we and they have always known about the five mil payment; the county had put a lot of money into Toyota Stadium with the understanding that MLS was coming but didn't want to be stuck holding the tab if it didn't happen.

However, all the parties down there were operating in good faith. They believed MLS' baldfaced lies about having the inside track when, as it turned out, they were never anything more than a fallback choice if they couldn't get a stadium deal in Austin.

So there are 2 things at play here:

First, the Spurs got screwed over and it wasn't their fault that they were unable to land the team. They made a more than good faith effort. Which means that if it came down to a lawsuit, a local jury was likely to be very sympathetic.

Secondly, the Spurs are good local. corporate citizens and partners. No good reason to get into a huge fight over a lousy 5 mil. Better to just swallow it.

MLS f*cked them over, lied to everybody - publicly- and that's who they should have sued. The county DA wanted to and had the paperwork all prepared, but at the last minute the Spurs decided not to go along. Nobody knows why.

But since they were the injured party - ie on the hook for the 5 million - nobody else had standing

TyphonInc, hardhead, Tobias C and 2 others repped this.